Notices

How To: Install oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Install oil catch can

This was done on a 4g69 eclipse, but should still pertain to you ralliart guys. I wrote this on club4g and figured I'd share.

Hey guys, installed the oil catch can today. It was very simple and took literally 6 minutes.

First off what you will need:
Flat head screw driver
Socket wrench with 10mm socket
pair of pliers (may not need)
oil catch can (obviously) lol
custom mounting bracket, or equipment that came with yours.
you can mount however you want to this is just a quick and easy mount while you wait to do what you want to do

What this does: - this prevents oil vapors from finding their way into you intake manifold. If you have ever had your tb off, you will notice it may have accumulated some oil sludge on the back of the butterfly valve. Doing this helps prolong engine life.

So here we go, first take off your manifold cover... Just use your 10mm socket, and/or a phillips screwdriver. Should look like this once done.

Next, you'll want to remove the black hose connecting the intake manifold to the valve cover. I used pliers because mine was seized up a bit.

After that, go ahead and mount your oil catch can. I originally mounted using zip ties, and didn't go very well. I then decided to be innovative. I made an L bracket and mounted it with a bolt that was initially used to hold on my stock air box. I used two washer, a lock washer, and a nut underneath to get it nice and snug.

I then welded on two hose clamps big enough toe fit around the bracket and the oil catch can. I then used this to mount the can.

Next you will connect your hoses. You have three different options. You can connect them where your PCV hose connected (from your valve cover to your intake manifold). See pics below.

You can connect them to your vacuum hose connecting your valve cover to your air intake. This is less beneficial compared to the previous option.
Or you can use a "Y" coupler, and connect them to both hoses, which would be the most beneficial.

Note: IT DOES NOT MATTER WHICH HOSE CONNECTS TO WHICH, AS LONG AS THEY ARE BOTH CONNECTED IT IS OKAY.
At the time being I have connected mine only to the vacuum hose between the CAI and the valve cover. I plan to soon run a "Y" and connect to both.

The end result should look like this

There you go guys!