Notices

Driver Seatbelt Chime Delete

Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Driver Seatbelt Chime Delete

Remove the center console: undo two screws, lift up the back and pull.

Access the seatbelt female receptacle (the thing with the orange push button at the side of your seat). Unscrew the big bolt that holds this part.

To separate the halves, there are two screws to remove. Use a T15 torx screwdriver.

When the seat belt is not being used, the electrical connection is 'on'; the yellow and blue wires are electrically connected by the little black wiper between them near the solder joints (right side).

When you fasten the seatbelt, the blue thing on top of the spring (look at the left picture) is pushed down. It takes the black wiper with it, and the contacts under that black thing move away to a spot so the yellow and blue wires are not connected anymore (see right side). Now the seatbelt is electrically 'off', and so it won't chime.

To eliminate the chime, we will remove the little black wiper. Then the seatbelt will always be electrically 'off' and the chime will never insult your intelligence again.

Use a fine tip screwdriver to carefully pry/lift one side of the little black wiper, then lift the other side the same way. There is a fine copper wiper underneath the black plastic, so be aware of that. Put this thing in a plastic bag and label it so you can reinstall it and have the chime back if you ever want to.

Put the two halves together, screw in the two screws, attach the big bolt, install the center console.

Time: you'll do it in less than 20 minutes.

p.s. in one of the halves you will notice two more wires going inside to a small switch whose contact gets 'made' as its little cantilevered chrome arm is pushed down when you fasten the belt. Don't bother with this.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:39 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Is this so you can drive without your seat belt?
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
excellent write up, I wonder if this will work on a 2010 GTS as well
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
Is this so you can drive without your seat belt?
Its a chime delete thread, not a thread about driving without a seat belt. This mod is not illegal. Driving without a belt gets you a fine - this thread has nothing to do with condoning that.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
awesome write-up Nick...does this eliminate the blinking annunciation as well as the chime? My ES had this done prior to my ownership, but the seat belt light still blinks...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

I don't see anything blinking.

Earlier today I removed the passenger seat to think about where/how to install a mini-battery there, and I forgot to take the neg lead off the battery first, and now the SRS light in the dash is on, which is normal when you unhook the SRS connector under the seat with battery connected. I'll get it turned off tomorrow and then we'll see if anything blinks.

Before the chime mod, I went through all the SRS wiring diagrams for our car, and the mod does not affect that system at all.

Last edited by RalliartN; Aug 29, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 05:03 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by RalliartN
Its a chime delete thread, not a thread about driving without a seat belt. This mod is not illegal. Driving without a belt gets you a fine - this thread has nothing to do with condoning that.
Well played, but this isn't about moderator entrapment.

I ask because the only reason I can see to do this mod is to stop the chime.
Am I correct in assuming that the chime is telling you to put on your seat belt?
This begs the question as to whether or not the driver is wearing a seat belt while the car is in motion.

Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Very nice Nick! Ive been wondering how to take care of that chime when I install some racing harnesses. Now I know what to do. Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:43 PM
EvoM Community Team

Ah, harnesses. Makes sense now.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

I don't see anything blinking.

Earlier today I removed the passenger seat to think about where/how to install a mini-battery there, and I forgot to take the neg lead off the battery first, and now the SRS light in the dash is on, which is normal when you unhook the SRS connector under the seat with battery connected. I'll get it turned off tomorrow and then we'll see if anything blinks.

Before the chime mod, I went through all the SRS wiring diagrams for our car, and the mod does not affect that system at all.
it blinks in the ES...but i'm talking about the seat belt warning light in the gauge cluster...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Good Morning Mod. As I get near retirement age, I've come to realize that wisdom is, simply, viewing a person, thing, or situation from the perspective of all stakeholders involved in that person, thing, or situation. In a nutshell, looking at something from another person's point-of-view.

For example, in the case of our chime, some but not all of the perspectives are:
- getting rid of a nasty noise
- modding for a new set of seats
- preferring to rely on one's own brain instead of a nanny reminding what to do
- being a scofflaw driving around without a seatbelt with no reminder noise
- learning something technical for fun
- making a car ones own through many mods

If we had a room of twenty people, we could brainstorm twenty different points-of-view about seatbelt chimes.

So, is one of the many perspectives "true" above all others? The answer is always no, a different one is true for each different person. Its quite paradoxical, really, as perspectives that seem at odds actually do co-exist. It's like the phenomenon of light: it is a wave and it is a particle, and which it is depends on your point-of-view.

So you are 'right'. So am I. So is bakuro. So is gregalmighty. Each sees chimes differently, each is correct.

This isn't some b.s. It gives insight and empathy. I don't mean to patronize those who think like this already, Mod's posts have inspired me to reflect.

Hmmm, now about those pesky airbags...
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

- being a scofflaw driving around without a seatbelt with no reminder noise
That sounds like me...

Hmmm, now about those pesky airbags...
LOL! oh Nick...you put something in your coffee this morning, didn't you?
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:50 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice write up Nick.

Out of all of this I have just a few questions though.

What's a scofflaw?

What's the retirement age in Canada, you don't look like your past 35? Must be better there than in the states , because by my calculations I'll be able to retire 5 years after I die
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you sir, good write up
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lanzerralliart
Nice write up Nick.

Out of all of this I have just a few questions though.

What's a scofflaw?

What's the retirement age in Canada, you don't look like your past 35? Must be better there than in the states , because by my calculations I'll be able to retire 5 years after I die
Scofflaw, my best guess is: Someone who scoffs at the law

As for retirement age, think it's 65 with an option to continue working until either age 71, or until 35 years of service.. (That could just be for Sask. though)

I'm 21 so don't quote me on this, old enough to know but too young to care haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver Seatbelt Chime Delete