Notices

How to: Make yourself an affordable dual gauge pod in 15-20 minutes! Pics+Videos!

Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up How to: Make yourself an affordable dual gauge pod in 15-20 minutes! Pics+Videos!

The adhesive on my gauge pods was wearing off. So I figured it was time to put them on the "hard" way and I wanted to share with you guys in case any of you wanted a functional gauge pod for under 20 bucks (assuming you have the tools). Here's a step-by-step guide on how to install/make the gauge pod:

NOTE: If any of you don't like the method below, keep the flaming to yourselves. This is simply another way to do it without spending 70-300 dollars. I am in fact going to get the triple pod by DSG, but that's when I get an oil pressure gauge. This is a temporary solution for me.

Tools needed (shown in pics as well):

A 7/64 hex wrench
A flat-head screw driver
A regular screw driver
Ruler
Marking tools (I used a gel pen)
2x Pliars
7mm socket wrench
Gauge pod
Gauge

Time:15-20 minutes tops
Difficulty: 1/10

1. BUY THE POD! It's $9.95 on ebay. Buy two if you need it for two gauges, the shop has a deal, 2x for 14 bucks. You could improvise and get a third one but I wouldn't recommend doing so since it would be blocking your view at the center display.

NOTE: I DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY AND I'M NOT SPONSORED BY THEM. THESE ARE SIMPLY THE PODS I'M USING FOR THIS. FEEL FREE TO USE DIFFERENT PODS BUT YOU CAN'T BEAT THE PRICES OF THESE PODS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REVO-TECHNICA-Universal-Gauge-Meter-52mm-Mount-Kit-Pod-Single-2-1-16-/310734861594?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item48593db51a&vxp=mtrhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/REVO-TECHNICA-Universal-Gauge-Meter-52mm-Mount-Kit-Pod-Single-2-1-16-x2-SETS-/310722672965?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485883b945&vxp=mtr
Now let's start tearing **** apart:

2. Remove the top cover of the steering column. Make sure to pry GENTLY, using a flat head screwdriver, as shown in the video. Turn the windshield washer and the blinker switches down for ease of access:

Originally Posted by InfantryMP
also just FYI

You can remove the steering column top piece without any tools...Just grab the back of it and gently pull up on it and it will snap out
3. Mark where you want your gauge to be. Once you've done that, make a hole using either a hand drill tool (highly recommended) or a screw driver (what I did). Here's a pic showing where I marked mine (yes my screwdriver slipped and caused a scratch. Lesson learned):

4. Take the bottom of the pod. Take both of your pliars, and tear that **** apart, leaving only the 7mm bolt. Here's what it should look like before (dismiss the cuts, forgot to take a before pic so had to improvise):

Here's what it should look like after:

5. Put the piece you just cut up into the hole you made earlier. It might need a bit of a push.

AAnndd here's what it looks like on the other side. Make sure to clear up that leftover plastic:

6. Once you've done that, put your pod on top of the bolt and secure it using a nut. Then put the gauges in. Here's the before pic:

Here're the after pics:

7. Put the top cover with the pods and gauges back into your car. Make sure to wire them up.

Here's a vid of what it looks like:
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Nice write up!

Wrong section tho!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikemike396
Nice write up!

Wrong section tho!
Oh, I thought it has to be in How-To section?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrwickd123
Oh, I thought it has to be in How-To section?
It does! But you are in the 04 - 06 Ralliart How too Section. Looks like you have an Evo X.

I believe you would want to be here -> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...allations-260/

See if you can get a moderator to move this.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikemike396
It does! But you are in the 04 - 06 Ralliart How too Section. Looks like you have an Evo X.

I believe you would want to be here -> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...allations-260/

See if you can get a moderator to move this.
Oh snap lol I mean to post it in a 08+ ralliart section, I already have one in the evo x section. Thanks for pointing it out!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

good job...
even if it's in the wrong section...
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Can someone move this to evo X general?