Notices

Installing your B&M Short Shifter

Old Mar 26, 2004, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing your B&M Short Shifter

Here's step by step instructions on how to install the B&M short throw shifter. And It's well worth the money spent. I was actually very suprised with how much shorter the throw is with this kit considering the RalliArts throws are already fairly short stock.

1)Remove the two screws from the bottom of the big compartment of the center console.
2)Pop center console off (connected by snaps at the front of the console)
3)Pop off small front piece under the glove compartment (connected all by clips)
4)Pop off small front piece under steering wheel (there's one of those pop screw thingies you'll need to unscrew)
5)Behind the front pieces on both sides there is a pop screw thingy on each side -- push the middle to pop them out
6)Pull front center console out (the shifter should be exposed)

The rest of the install can be done with the instructions provided with the shifter -- they're pretty detailed...here are some tips though:

-The pivot cups are somewhat difficult to remove. What I did and what I'd suggest is if you or someone you know has a VICE CLAMP in your garage to use it! Tighten the vice clamp onto the pivot cup and hit the shifter with a hammer. The pivot cups should pop off pretty easily doing that. If you don't have a vice in your garage or don't know of anyone who does, then I'd suggest wedging the pivot on a 90 degree counter top where one side of the pivot cup is on one side of the counter and the other is on the other side of the counter. Apply pressure downwards and they should pop off. If you decide to not do that, then just use anything that can hold on tightly to the pivot cups while you hold the shifter and while a friend pulls. Just make sure not to lose the cups when they come flying off.
-Remember how the shifter spring sits on the shifter...took me a while to put it in right position because I didn't pay much attention to what it looked like before popping it off. That could be a major hastle. Take pictures on a digi if you can
-Use rediculous amounts of grease...I greased it up so much that when I put the cup back on a bunch of grease flew everywhere cuz I used so much...that's definitely the way to go =)
-Grease the big pivot ball in the middle of the shifter...the instructions dont say to but its a good idea...I did it

Alot of people prefer different knobs rather then the B&M because it can get very hot if you live in places where it gets 90-100 in the summer like myself. I personally like the EVO style knob that came stock so I just threw that back on the shifter.

ENJOY!
Attached Thumbnails Installing your B&M Short Shifter-bm.jpg  

Last edited by I REP 838; Mar 26, 2004 at 02:52 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread here!