Notices

replacing cluster and/or cluster lights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb replacing cluster and/or cluster lights

so, recently one of my cluster bulbs burned out...and i figured since i'm gonna tear the cluster area apart, i'd do a write up to the best of my ability on it, so anyone who needs it in the future can use it...

so here it is......enjoy, and hope it helps!

Tools you'll need
#2 subby(short) phillips screwdriver
#2 average length phillips screwdriver
flashlight(not required but helpful)
magnet or grabby/claw tool(not required but helpful)

Obviously the screwdrivers are for driving screws out/in, and the light for seeing in dark areas, and the magnet or grabby/claw tool for in case you drop a screw in behind the dash for possible recovery.

ok now...let's start!

STEP ONE
Remove knobs from A/C controls and remove the 2 screws behind the 2 outter knobs, then grabbing thru the holes behind where the 2 outter knobs were pull panel with the radio and A/C controls out...it may be a bit hard but it's only held on with 4 spring clips

STEP TWO
Using the stubby screwdriver(only part it's really NEEDED, because the regular one is too long) remove 2 screws from the cluster bezel, they go from down to up and are kinda hard to see, the easiest way to get to them, is to tilt the steering wheel all the way down, and also move the wiper switch all the way down to fast position. Pull thepanel out from the bottom section because if you pull from the top it could get caught and rip your dash "leather"(as i did in 2 places - pictures of rips attached at end of instructions).

STEP THREE
Remove the 2 screws behind the radio/A/C panel and pull the long strip with the clock and A/C vents on it starting from the left going all the way to the right. You don't need to remove the whole panel, but it does need to be at least partly removed as it's VERY hard to remove the cluster with this panel still attached on the left side.

STEP FOUR
Remove the 3 screws holding in the gague cluster 2 on top, 1 on bottom(this is where the average length screwdriver, magnet and flashlight are most helpful). There's 2 connectors on the backside of the cluster at the top(i was unable to take pictures of them as it's a very tight, dark spot and my phone doesn't have flash). To get them disconnected tilt the cluster up and each connector has a release tab you have to pull towards the bottom of the cluster, but it's on the top side of the connector so do your best, it's a bit hard to do...don't worry if you can't do it quickly, it took me a few minutes to disconnect both. Then to remove the cluster tilt it so the cluster gauges face up and then rotate it pulling the right side out first(it's kind of a tight spot so it may take a bit to get out...but it's easier now since u pulled the clock panel earlier, making it easier now). Hope you dont drop any screws removing them, they're kinda hard to reach so the magnet makes it easier.

STEP FIVE
Now that you have the cluster out, if you're replacing the whole cluster instead of any of the cluster lights this is where you'd stop. If you are replacing lights, like me, now is whe you take the rear cover of the cluster off. There's 4 screws, 2 locating pins, and 2 holding tabs for the back cover. Remove the screws and pull the cover off the pins using some light pressure(it's kinda flimsy so be careful not to bend it). Then just tilt it up from the top side of the cluster and just lift it out from the tabs. To reinstall later it goes in reverse order(put cover under tabs, then lay down on the locating pins and push down slightly, and then attach screws).

STEP SIX
Now that you have the cover off, find what light you need, and replace it before reassembly. Also if you want you can go further on your own and paint or customize as you want. I want just to replace the foglight indicator bulb, so that's whan i'm showing here. In my case the light was the left side of the cluster under the turn signal indicator(so when u flip the cluster over it's on the right side....also if you need another light a good way to find it is use a flashlight and shine thru the hole of a bulb you've removed and see from the front of the cluster what lights up).

STEP SEVEN
Reassemble everything in reverse order...careful not to loose/drop any screws in the process.

BONUS
Here's pictures of where i ripped the "leather" from my dash like I said earlier......O WELL...

Old Jul 21, 2014, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Sticky this please! Very nice write up!
Old Jul 21, 2014, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

thanks...lol
i almost forgot i even made this write-up...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Do you remember where you picked up the Red backlight bulbs for the dash? The whole right side of my dash doesnt glow red at night. Everything else works fine tho.

Edit:
Looks like this it -> http://www.awdmotorsports.com/product_p/mr444537.htm

Last edited by mikemike396; Jul 23, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

i got them from the dealer...
they had to order them...not an in stock item IIRC

i don't remember how much they were tho...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
i got them from the dealer...
they had to order them...not an in stock item IIRC

i don't remember how much they were tho...
I called. About $8 from the dealer around me.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

id suggest check your fuses n stuff before jumping to the bulb...
since they're kinda expensive...

or try taking the cluster apart and swap bulbs around...
it could potentially be the cluster itself too...
Old Jul 24, 2014, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Okay I will try that. I doubt its the fuse, because only one side of the gauge cluster is out. I think there are 3 backlight bulbs. The one behind the temp, gas, and lancer logo is out. The other red ones work fine.

Also do I have to take off all the panels on the right near the temperature nob and radio? It seems like I could just take the 2 screws off the top above the gauge cluster, pop the black trim off being careful of the leather. Then take the 3 screws off the gauge cluster and drop the clutter down and unplug it. Am i missing something? I feel like your tutorial had extra steps. Why remove the middle vent and radio trim and all that?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

u can try that if you want to...
IIRC its a huge pain to try and get it out that way...took about the same or longer time to take the other stuff out...and mroe effort maneuvering the cluster out too...

i'd say just take the other stuff out..it takes 2 mins if you're slow and makes it easier to take the actual cluster out
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Stuff

I've noticed that my cluster lights are very dim and this is a great write up!

Has anyone found any brighter than OEM bulbs?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know what the light bulb part # is anymore...but i'm sure if you look online you MAY be able to find some leds...
otherwise I'd say no, it'll be very hard if impossible to find anything brighter...
it's a cluster light, not a headlight...

you don't want to be blinded at night because of it...that'd be a safety hazard to you and other drivers

or you could do this..
it's the same bulbs so the process will be the same...just it's not an evo....(only it's little brother)
http://www.socalevo.net/threads/1119...trument-lights

Last edited by nekkidlad; Sep 11, 2015 at 05:36 AM.