Notices

timing belt help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
timing belt help

So ive been trying to replace my timing belt and I have the service manual but it isn't really helping. I'm having a really difficult time taking off the bottom cover. If somebody could please help me with detailed instructions on how to replace it, it would be greatly appreciated. I've looked through the forums and can't find detailed instructions from somebody who has done it.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
if it's not coming off, there's still bolts in there. one or two are hidden kind of, if I remember correctly. be careful to not break it, the crankshaft position sensor connector is integrated in the cover. Silly question: you did take the crankshaft pulley off right?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
if it's not coming off, there's still bolts in there. one or two are hidden kind of, if I remember correctly. be careful to not break it, the crankshaft position sensor connector is integrated in the cover. Silly question: you did take the crankshaft pulley off right?
Yes I took the pully off and there is a bolt behind the power steering pully that I got unscrewed but I can't get it out without taking that pully off. Should I take the pully off?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Yes.
Ok cool. But the hard part about that is the angle of it. The engine mount is pretty much in the way. Should I hold up the engine and take the mount out first? Sorry if I have a lot of questions, I just want to do everything correctly.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a step by step guide with pictures on our forum.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
There is a step by step guide with pictures on our forum.
Can you pm me the link? I can't find it
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharpie0311
Yes I took the pully off and there is a bolt behind the power steering pully that I got unscrewed but I can't get it out without taking that pully off. Should I take the pully off?
pretty sure the power steering pulley is pressed on...I don't think you can take it off...

Originally Posted by Sharpie0311
Ok cool. But the hard part about that is the angle of it. The engine mount is pretty much in the way. Should I hold up the engine and take the mount out first? Sorry if I have a lot of questions, I just want to do everything correctly.
yes you need to remove the passenger side engine mount to install the timing belt...I used a jack and piece of wood under the oil pan, and disconnected the front and rear mounts as well, so I could drop the engine below the chassis a bit to make the pulleys and stuff a bit more accessible.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 01:41 PM

pretty sure the power steering pulley is pressed on...I don't think you can take it off...

yes you need to remove the passenger side engine mount to install the timing belt...I used a jack and piece of wood under the oil pan, and disconnected the front and rear mounts as well, so I could drop the engine below the chassis a bit to make the pulleys and stuff a bit more accessible.
Ok thank you. If I can't take the power steering pully off then how would I get the cover off?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I don't remember having to take the power steering pump off...you took the water pump pulley off right?

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Sep 16, 2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 03:33 PM

I don't remember having to take the power steering pump off...you took the water pump pulley off right?
Which one is the water? Is it the bigger one to the left of the engine mount or is it the smaller one closer to the front of the vehicle? Cus I took off my crankshaft pulley off, but that's the only one I've taken off.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

you need take off the water pump pulley... it should be slightly left of the engine mount, above the crankshaft and it's the big smooth one (without belt ribs)...power steering is to the far left, is ribbed, and the pump should be mounted to a bracket beyond the timing cover...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 07:13 AM

you need take off the water pump pulley... it should be slightly left of the engine mount, above the crankshaft and it's the big smooth one (without belt ribs)...power steering is to the far left, is ribbed, and the pump should be mounted to a bracket beyond the timing cover...
Ok I'll do that after work. I just had to make the tenioner tool out of a thread and a nut welded to the top. So to take the bottom cover off what all do I need to take out?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

in the service manual, for the timing belt replacement, in the removal, all parts you need to remove are listed in the numerical order in which they are removed...

you will also need to remove the serpentine belt tensioner.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 08:02 AM

in the service manual, for the timing belt replacement, in the removal, all parts you need to remove are listed in the numerical order in which they are removed...

you will also need to remove the serpentine belt tensioner.
Thank you a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: timing belt help