Notices

How-To: Disassemble/Assemble F5M42 Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ordered individual as I did not plan to change it but once I realised how bad the bearing was I had to. It's been installed so it does fit.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 04:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
excellent. where did you pick it up?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

WAJAX is the name of the place.
I went to the local parts shop and they did not have the bearing but the guy recommended I go to WAJAX. At WAJAX the guy punched in the number said he'll be right back then came back with the bearing and said it was my lucky day. I was so relieved I took a Tim Hortons flat box for the guys at the other store who sent me to WAJAX.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished replacing both input shaft bearings on my sons 06 ralliart. What is the deal with the clutch side bearing? I was chasing a noise and found ao many threads with bad bearings I knew that was my problem. Honestly it wasnt torn up as bad as I thought given how much noise it made. One of the ***** and the inner race were tore up. I honestly think some of the noise I was having was due to a missing bolt on the passenger axle suport bearing. That was fun to extract. Why on earth didn't they use taper bearings? 138k is premature on a car this light at these horsepower numbers.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

^^ Yes to all you said, they dropped the ball some how with that bearing.
Given that this impacted so many Ralliarts and some Eclipses, I think Mitsubishi should have been picking up the tab.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 05:06 PM

The special tools that he used to put the bearings and seals back onto the shafts, do you guys have alternatives or is it just easier to find the tools? I have to replace this bearing also
Old Apr 30, 2016, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

I have not yet done a video for disassembly/reassembly of the shafts, or a reassembly of the transmission...the easiest way to pull and replace the bearings is a hydraulic shop press...I recommend no less than 10 ton. you will also need a variety of pressing dies, a bearing separator, some 4x4 wooden blocks, various metal bar (1/2 inch aluminum bar works good), some sockets (for spacing), and the pieces of the old bearings (as pressing dies) will make life easier. My bet is you could do it by hand, i.e. bearing separator and manual pulley/bearing puller for removal, and a set of pressing dies and a hammer for installation, but with a press is much faster, and much less likely to accidentally damage something. When I finally get around to making the video, I will demonstrate both methods, and report on the feasibility of doing it by hand, however if you're going to be rebuilding a transmission at least twice in your life time, I highly recommend a shop press which you can find at harbor freight for around $130.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 06:46 PM

I wouldnt buy the harbor freight press. If you do at least scrap the plates they come with. I opted for a better unit without plates but it did come with a couple pieces of flat stock. Best purchase in my shop. Has paid for itself many times over.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:47 PM

Well, I got the bearing replaced. I actually replaced all of the bearings. I found a kit online that contains all of the bearings and seals. Anyways, yes, a press does help. Immensely. My grandfather ended up being free this weekend so I went over to his place and we pulled it out and tore it apart. We also just made like that video of the Mitsubishi tech and hammered the bearings back on but pressed. them out.

Also CrAnSwIcK, I would like to thank you for your transmission disassembly video
Old May 2, 2016, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Immaculate Fury
Well, I got the bearing replaced. I actually replaced all of the bearings. I found a kit online that contains all of the bearings and seals. Anyways, yes, a press does help. Immensely. My grandfather ended up being free this weekend so I went over to his place and we pulled it out and tore it apart. We also just made like that video of the Mitsubishi tech and hammered the bearings back on but pressed. them out.

Also CrAnSwIcK, I would like to thank you for your transmission disassembly video
glad it helped.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 08:12 AM

Gear Oil Pan

Thank you guys so much for putting this all together. My Tranny (F4M42) is getting rebuilt by my cousin, who's a mechanic. But he says the Gear Oil Pan on that looks like it won't survive the job. Is there a way to find that part? I've searched online and only the automatic ones are showing up or an actual oil pan..

HELP!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Flashsenpai
Thank you guys so much for putting this all together. My Tranny (F4M42) is getting rebuilt by my cousin, who's a mechanic. But he says the Gear Oil Pan on that looks like it won't survive the job. Is there a way to find that part? I've searched online and only the automatic ones are showing up or an actual oil pan..

HELP!
there is no pan on the manual transmission...you'll need to be more specific, I'm not sure to which part you are referring...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 01:51 PM

It would be the "undercover" under the transmission. It needs to be removed to access part of the transmission in the disassembly of it. Mine is in bad shape and may need to be replaced.

#20 in the diagram
Attached Thumbnails How-To: Disassemble/Assemble F5M42 Manual Transmission-screen-shot-2017-08-17-4.49.26-pm.png  
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Flashsenpai
It would be the "undercover" under the transmission. It needs to be removed to access part of the transmission in the disassembly of it. Mine is in bad shape and may need to be replaced.

#20 in the diagram
right...ok, so you'll need to order one, I can't pull the part number for you, i'm on my phone. How bad is it though, cause it will probably seal with all the bolts installed.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 02:47 PM

I'd love to have that part number. I can't find it at all. Mine is so thin and rusted that it'll most likely crumble when we take it off. We're most likely looking at fabricating one because I can't find a part number.