Notices

Loud squeak from back of car - strut suspension related

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2005, 08:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud squeak from back of car - strut suspension related

The Railliart is completey stock so that should make it easier. In the rear of the car it makes loud squeaking sounds when you push down in the trunk. It sounds like the strut is bottoming out or a bushing or pillow mount is defective. I rode next to the RA and every little bump in the road you can hear a very distinct squeaking from the rear end of the car. Much more pronounced from the passender side rear though. There is not a problem with the front. It seems the noise has gotten worse over the past week. Anyone else with a similar problem? The car will be going into the dealer, although I may consider spraying some white lithium grease into the rear control arm bushings just to see if that cures it.

Any help would be apprecaited!
Old Feb 26, 2005, 09:28 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
All the RAs in cold climates have been making bushing noises when it's below freezing, including mine. Canadian guys have taken theirs to dealerships and there are no replacement bushings yet available to fix this. Apparently the sportbacks and Outlanders are having the same issue.

Let us know what your dealership says. Hopefully they'll develop new bushings soon so we can all get this fixed.
Old Feb 26, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

The only way I can drown the sound of the squeaking, is to have my radio pas volume 20. My dealy has bushings on back order, but apparently even after they change the control arm bushings, the squeaking will still come back in a day or so. THIS IS VERY DISSAPOINTING
Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you probably just have to oil your cv joints or like said before get some polyurethane bushings.

it's probably the cv joint...
Old Feb 27, 2005, 04:57 AM
Former Sponsor

It is coming from the rear of the car. The CV joint is in the front. I may grease the rear bushings, although polyutherane bushings would be worse because they give less and make more noise that softer rubber counterparts. I think I should seek a dealer fix before I tackle this on my own. It is good to hear this is not the strut or something more pricey.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

In march the new bushings should be in according to my dealership. The bushings we have right now are not rated for the low temps we have been having. Check here. Mitsu mechanic at Cooksville dealership.

http://www.mitsubishicarclubcanada.c...pic.php?t=1124
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

I also contacted Cooksville Mitsubishi (Toronto, Canada) and they told me that Mitsubishi has found a fix with these new bushings but they are on back order. They took my name and number and said they would call me when the parts come in. They said it's about a half a days work to replace the bushings.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

i have the probelm with my car accept it is coming from the front making the same sound, i plan on taking it to the dealership this week, only probelm is i bought the car in pa and i live down by atlantic city, but dealerships should take any mitsubishi right??
Old Feb 27, 2005, 01:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by EvoLite
I also contacted Cooksville Mitsubishi (Toronto, Canada) and they told me that Mitsubishi has found a fix with these new bushings but they are on back order. They took my name and number and said they would call me when the parts come in. They said it's about a half a days work to replace the bushings.
Did they tell you exactly what bushings? Why are the new bushings better? Maybe I should order some poly bushinsg and mek them put them in for free because I don't trust another bushing until I know wht was wrong and how they fixed it. There HAS to be a TSB somewhere about it.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had this problem in my car a couple weeks ago, took it in and had both rear lower control arms replaced for free. Only took them a little over an hour, total. I brought the car in at 9am, was out by 10:15am.

So far the noise hasn't come back, but if it does, I hope the dealer will fix it beyond the 36,000 mile b-2-b warranty. I'm at 24,000 already.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

I havent heard that problem in mine yet so it is kinda Not true that ALL Ra's have that problem.. However I have ahd my front lip separate from the body from the snow(cause for dealership visit in the morning).. The squeek very well could be a bushing that is not well lubricated.. Try lubricating it and if that doesnt work then take it to the dealership.It could otherwise be a spring rubbing,or something minor of that sort.Either way its a smidge of a safety issue and a annoying little problem..
Old Feb 28, 2005, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jerseyjap
i have the probelm with my car accept it is coming from the front making the same sound, i plan on taking it to the dealership this week, only probelm is i bought the car in pa and i live down by atlantic city, but dealerships should take any mitsubishi right??
Yes I live in PA and bopught mine from NJ.. I go to Metro Mitsu in Philly.. Great service and pretty quick at it...But to answer your Q.. Yes you can take it to any Mitsu dealership to get it serviced.. Theres a decent one in Burlington but thier Service department is on thier Dodge lot..I jsut take mine to Philly cause its closer for me than going all the way back out to Burlington NJ where I bought the car.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:36 AM
Former Sponsor

They are replacing both rear struts. Should be done by Friday of next week. I will keep everyone here posted. They said the bsuhings were fine.

It sucks the car has 13k and two bad struts!?!? Usually a strut is somehting you don't have to worry about.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 11:40 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
My car is going into the dealership next week for the same squeaking from the rear and the driver's front. Odd that they think it's your struts, I thought struts made more of a thumping noise when they went bad.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

just curious if this only affects 04 RA's or all 04 models? I have an ES, and it does make these squeaks near the back wheel well...telll us if the sounds goes away after the dealer changes them...any info would be great..thanks!

Quick Reply: Loud squeak from back of car - strut suspension related