Notices

Suspension/Tires Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension/Tires Review

Have a suspension part that you wanna express your opinion on? Voice it here and let everybody else know what you think of it. Keep it on topic. Please, this is for reviews only, if you have a question, please PM the person directly.

Last edited by BLKRalliArt04; Jun 22, 2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Tein Basic Coilovers

If you want the best suspension setup, this is the way to go. Expensive (yet they say its the most "affordable"). Say goodbye to body roll, but hello to a rough ride. Installation is time consuming and a professional is recommended. Dont plan on carrying granny in the car if you have low profile tires combined with these teins, or hastalavista dentures.

Final Grade - 8.5/10

Last edited by BLKRalliArt04; Jun 24, 2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Whats the best tire for the most affordable price that would compliment the Tein set up?
Old Jun 23, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Progress Springs

Just Installed the Progress Springs 2 weeks ago and they are amazing. Bought it on sale from RRM, and believe it was worth every penny. The front looks way more sporty and the gap has been closed. The ride is more stiff, atleast in a good way, and not to annoy to drive. Watch out for potholes and speed bumps because you will kill your shocks eventually. Finally the turning has a noticable change in which you can corner turns a lot better because of the stiffer springs. Worth the price, but you'll eventually have to get new shocks!

Total Grade: 6/10

Last edited by RAKenzo; Jun 24, 2005 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Nankang NS-1 Tires

Not a horrible tire, but definitely not a great one either. If you drive like a sane human being, then you should be alright. However, if you like to do a little spirited driving on some DRY roads, leave that spirit for another car with better tires. Cause these babies dont cut it. They arent all that great in the rain either.

Total grade - 4/10
Old Jun 24, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

RD Xtreme Lower Tie Bar

This is a great mod and is second behind the sway bar in best bang for the buck. 65 bucks shipped and is the thickest tie bar you can buy for the ralliart. Reduces a lot of understeer associated with our cars. To see pics, look in my "rate my ride" in my signature.

Final Grade - 7/10
Old Jun 24, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Progress Rear Sway Bar

Now this is the best bang for the buck as far as suspension mods are concerned. Body roll is decreased DRAMATICALLY. They do however add a rougher ride. Just make sure you get the perches that progress recommends when putting the bar on. Definitely a very good mod that you will recognize on all hard and sharp turns.

Final Grade 8/10
Old Jun 24, 2005, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

If you want the best suspension setup, this is the way to go. Expensive (yet they say its the most "affordable"). Say goodbye to body roll, but hello to a rough ride. Installation is time consuming and a professional is recommended. Dont plan on carrying granny in the car if you have low profile tires combined with these teins, or hastalavista dentures.

Final Grade - 8.5/10
Glad to hear it
Old Jun 28, 2005, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Poor Progress Spring review

Originally Posted by RAKenzo
Just Installed the Progress Springs 2 weeks ago and they are amazing. Bought it on sale from RRM, and believe it was worth every penny. The front looks way more sporty and the gap has been closed. The ride is more stiff, atleast in a good way, and not to annoy to drive. Watch out for potholes and speed bumps because you will kill your shocks eventually. Finally the turning has a noticable change in which you can corner turns a lot better because of the stiffer springs. Worth the price, but you'll eventually have to get new shocks!

Total Grade: 6/10
Because RAKenzo didnt install the rears I will fill you in. This is probably the only down fall of these springs. They advertise a .5" drop, when in actuallity, it more like .5" increase in height. I have heard some guys say its stays close to stock, but for me, it went up. The ride is great, dont get me wrong, and cornering is a dream, but talk about false advertising!
Good on ya RAKenzo for leaving the stock rears in, because I may have to do the same, and yet another wheel alignment.
Take a look at my cardomain page#3. You will see what I mean. I check them once a week in hopes that the back will "settle in" or "sag" abit, but no such luck.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Kumho Ecsta MX

I have these tires in a 215/40-17. THese tires have a 220 UTQG AA A. I bought these tires for everyday driving and a full season of auto-x, I did not want to change tires all the time. For everyday driving they are great, I run 36r-38f psi. They are quiet in the dry, but get loud in the rain. When there is a light mist on the road you can hear a drone. Performance in rain is top notch due to the tread design and compound.

For performance driving:
These tires have a soft sidewall compared to others in category so the ture pressure has to be raised considerably. For auto-x I was running 36r-48f psi hot. The compound of these tires is amazingly sticky. The are as sticky as the old 215 azenis but with a super soft sidewall. The advantage these tires have over others is in the rain. They are quite fast out on the track, but the soft side wall makes the tire suffer some scrubbing on the sidewall. They are quite a bit cheaper than other tires in its category. I managed to get these for $138cnd ea. For the price its hard to beat them.
http://www.tiretrends.com/catalog2.php3?tireID=381

My next tire in this category is: hankook Ventus R-S2
http://www.tiretrends.com/catalog2.php3?tireID=520

GREAT TIRE!!!

Old Jul 14, 2005, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
New tires, springs, and a few other things...

Two days ago, I got a set of BFGoodrich g-force T/A KDW2s to replace my worn-out stock RS-As. Last weekend, I was able to finally get my Progress springs in. I also have the Progress rear sway bar and perches, and upper and lower rear tie bars.

NICE.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Kumho Ecsta 711

Not bad traction... but boy are they noisy... I wouldn't not recommend them for anyone... supposedly the channels on them suck air and make like a wind tunnel that makes a howling noise... still an upgrade over stock though...

Rating: 6/10
Old Sep 18, 2005, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Bridgestone Potenza Re950 Tires

These tires are great! I can do 80 in pouring rain and Im still holding onto the road with great ease. Plus I can get 40,000 miles out of them (better than my old nankangs which got me about 18000 miles). They handle great in dry weather too. These are great tires and come to me highly recommended if you want a long lasting tire that handles great in both rain and dry.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

R1 Concepts Drilled/Slotted Brake Rotors w/Axxis Metal Master Pads

The braking of my car was great before I had these rotors, but after about 100 miles or so of wearing the new rotors in, my car stops on a dime. They have a bright silver finish whih is nice to look at as well. Install was a breeze. Took me 2 hours and that was with my baby niece crawling all over me. The Metal Masters so far arent making any brake dust that I can see, but I have only had them on for about 400 miles or so.

R1 Concepts Brake rotors = 10/10
Axxis Metal Master Brake Pads = 10/10
Old Nov 15, 2005, 02:52 PM

Kuhmo Ecsta ASX

I got a set of these to replace my stock RSA's and WOW what a huge difference. I have run Yokohoma ES100's, BFG Traction TA's and Dunlop SP Sport A2 plus and these Kuhmo's are great.
Dry traction is very good and in rain and snow they are excellent. For the money this is a great tire. Treadwear will see but with a 45k warranty I would expect it to be pretty good. The tires are pretty quiet and the sidewall stiff for a non Z rated tire.
Overall I give the 8.7/10.

Quick Reply: Suspension/Tires Review