Notices

Rear springs damaged from weight?

Old Nov 21, 2006, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear springs damaged from weight?

Alright so I went on an extended trip... from Texas up to Maine... the trip took two weeks because I made many stops and saw alot of people... the first week of driving I was by myself... and the 2nd week I was with my mother and sister.

I had my car weighed originally before i left wit ha full gas tank, with all my stuff in the trunk/backseat... and it was determined that 250 pounds of stuff was in teh car. keep in mind this was in the entire trip.

i read previous posts and saw mentions of some serious rear sagging in regards to any weight being put on the springs... it's been two weeks since my trip, with all my stuff out of the car, and the rear wheel wells seem to have one less inch of gap than the front... tire pressure is normal, and nothing could weight it down... i pushed down o nteh trunk and the car isn't bouncy, still stiff... im concerned that i mighjt have hurt the springs? from 10 feet away it looks as if my car was lowered an inch in the back but not the front..

any suggestions/ideas?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

stock..the rear is supposed to look lower in the back
thats everyones ralliart
Old Nov 21, 2006, 07:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup, that's the normal stock stance of Ralliarts, you probably just didn't notice it before.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 08:02 PM

there are right

Originally Posted by otter
Yup, that's the normal stock stance of Ralliarts, you probably just didn't notice it before.

my is that way
Old Nov 22, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heh with my rims and wheel package my car looks dropped since the RA sits low in back, i love it. Yet the front also looks like a monster truck.. haha
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:08 PM

it's a 'reverse rake'....sucks huh? lol
Old Nov 23, 2006, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4G93Turbo
it's a 'reverse rake'....sucks huh? lol
I don't understand why the car is supposed to look like that; obviously there's some kind of design purpose for it. Anybody know?
Old Nov 24, 2006, 08:05 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kericr
I don't understand why the car is supposed to look like that; obviously there's some kind of design purpose for it. Anybody know?
The best I can think of is that they designed the front fender to be a bit higher for steering clearance. Why they didn't make the rear fender the same, I don't know.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Springs are made from some of the most durable metals in the world. Also the treatment each one gets makes the metal even stronger. It's likely they settled.
Old Nov 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
Springs are made from some of the most durable metals in the world. Also the treatment each one gets makes the metal even stronger. It's likely they settled.
Yep, springs are under changing torsion stress for thousands and thousands of times in their life. That springs don't fail more often from stress failure is impressive.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:51 PM

thanks for the input guys, i was scared crapless that i was going to have to dish out loot for new springs.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:00 AM

Most car's rear quarter panels sit lower than the front fenders. Like the guy said above, it's just for tire clearance up front when the wheels are turned and suspension is compressed. Out back, the rear wheels just tuck up under the wheel wells.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Throw some Teins on there, it'll look normal after that... I hated the stance before I put on my springs...

Search this Thread