Notices

Suspension Overhaul.. Sick of creaks and squeaks

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2013, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suspension Overhaul.. Sick of creaks and squeaks

Okay guys so there are a few threads out there talking about replacing springs and struts and control arms and front and rear strut bars ect. As of right now the only thing I have done to my suspension is installed Tein S-Tech springs and KYB struts. I have had these on for about 2 years now. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...yb-struts.html

Anyway, where do I start? What would be the essentials to replace? My car has around 82,000 miles on it. I was thinking about getting the rear sway bar from RRM, and then doing the WhiteLine end links like Crans did. Would it be worth it to do the control arms and tie rod's? Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is going to be a summer long project. When I am done, I want to have a solid suspension.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Crans did the Whiteline sway bar with stock end links and stock mounting brackets.

Mine is pretty solid right now. I still have a few small thinks Id like to work out but I have the Whiteline sway bar, new struts, Tien S.Techs, New end links all around, rear strut bar, rear tie bar, cusco power brace, and H-brace. Not saying you need all that stuff but it makes it a solid ride.

If I was you though. Id start with the whiteline sway bar, and make sure you dont need new end links and bushings anywhere then maybe look into a rear strut bar. Personally the bushings are next in line for me. I want solid ones everywhere I possibly can.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

So this would be a good place to start?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...bar-bmr79.html

Also should I replace the rubber boots on the end of those bolts and the other rubber boots when doing the rear swaybar? Not sure the name of them, if you look in this picture you should know what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension Overhaul.. Sick of creaks and squeaks-041420122282.jpg  
Old May 29, 2013, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Yea that whole piece on the end there is your sway bar end link. the one on the top is a bushing that will come with a replacement end link and the one between the bar and the link is built onto it. If you go to auto zone, oreilys or some auto repair store they should have end links and it will come with that stuff.

but yes the whiteline sway bar would be a great place to start. Just look before you jump cause you could be like me and need to replace your sway bar mounts as well because they were about to fall apart they were so rusty....
Old May 29, 2013, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have a link to the end links you used? Looks like crans used the stock ones. Would these work?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ord=+end+links
Old May 29, 2013, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yea that'll work fine. I just used stock replacement ones.

Now the title says "Sick of creaks and squeaks" adding a bigger sway bar probably isnt going to get rid of any noises. What noises are you wanting to get rid of?
Old May 29, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

lol yea that is true. I still want to get the sway bar tho. This is an overhaul / get rid of squeaks thread! The squeaks I am experiencing seem to be coming from both the front and back. It seems to be hit and miss. Somedays when it is warm out it will be worse than others days when it is cold. I noticed it mostly coming to a stop or starting from a stop. Its like anytime the car moves a little it squeaks. Also when I get out of the car you can hear it squeak a little. Seems like any movement causes this.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check your engine mounts...
Old May 29, 2013, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
check your engine mounts...
Thats on the list of things to do also. I dont think it is the motor mounts because with the car off stepping out of the car produces the same noise. And if I push on the back of the car it squeaks. The motor mounts are definitely getting bad tho. After some suspension mods that will be next.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

just lube all the bushings then...and check them for damage.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Whiteline Sway bar + Moog End Links Installed

Well guys I finally got it installed! All I can say is wow! I would recommend this mod to anyone. This is by far by favorite mod for the $. The A** end is so much stiffer and tighter around the corners. Here are some pics. Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Suspension Overhaul.. Sick of creaks and squeaks-img_0126.jpg   Suspension Overhaul.. Sick of creaks and squeaks-img_0127.jpg   Suspension Overhaul.. Sick of creaks and squeaks-img_0128.jpg  
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I love my upgraded sway bar as well just be careful going on the on-ramps I took one going 50+ and the car started to drift!
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
I love my upgraded sway bar as well just be careful going on the on-ramps I took one going 50+ and the car started to drift!
better tires and a bit of negative camber will alleviate that, but no matter what you do, every car has it's breaking point, up to the point that the tires slip off your rims, and even when you solve that, there will still be a point of no return, and that's how professional race car drivers die.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
better tires and a bit of negative camber will alleviate that, but no matter what you do, every car has it's breaking point, up to the point that the tires slip off your rims, and even when you solve that, there will still be a point of no return, and that's how professional race car drivers die.
Hoping to get evo 9 enkeis this week hopefully next week I can install my new lower control arms and align it with 1 negative camber all around. First time I pushed it that hard defiantly learned my lesson but it sure was fun!!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

prefer the track, i like merging on the highway as much as the next guy, but that's not the place to push the car...be safe, and good luck with the installation...

Quick Reply: Suspension Overhaul.. Sick of creaks and squeaks