Notices

Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Suspension Upgrades

I'm looking at upgrading the suspension in the RA, I was wondering about bushings, links, braces, and possibly spring and strut kits. I want the car to hold flatter in the curves, and still be somewhat comfortable to take on long trips. Might possibly lower the front because of the RA rear sag, that virtually all of our cars have. I am not a suspension person, so I want to know what you guys think will be the best match for the RA.

My buddy sold his wrecked evo, I am on the market for and evo six speed tranny!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Kasper
I'm looking at upgrading the suspension in the RA, I was wondering about bushings, links, braces, and possibly spring and strut kits. I want the car to hold flatter in the curves, and still be somewhat comfortable to take on long trips. Might possibly lower the front because of the RA rear sag, that virtually all of our cars have. I am not a suspension person, so I want to know what you guys think will be the best match for the RA.

My buddy sold his wrecked evo, I am on the market for and evo six speed tranny!

if you can afford it get coilovers...if not, replace the sway bar and get aligned for a little bit of negative camber...lowering springs and struts are a good option as long as the springs are good quality...some people will say don't get all new springs and and struts cause for a little more you can get coilovers, but remember, basic coilovers often are not damper and spring rate adjustable...
Old Oct 7, 2014, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
if you can afford it get coilovers...if not, replace the sway bar and get aligned for a little bit of negative camber...lowering springs and struts are a good option as long as the springs are good quality...some people will say don't get all new springs and and struts cause for a little more you can get coilovers, but remember, basic coilovers often are not damper and spring rate adjustable...

I see a lot of cheap coil overs getting broken in the first few months. If I get springs they will be the tein springs matched with eibach struts.... they get that POP, or just right out fail... not to interested in coil over kits...

My Ralliart has had a hard life... A dumb teenager owned it before me, and that car has caught no breaks.... "Part of the reason I am looking into an Evo 6speed Tranny"... It misses second and grinds fifth regularly with the clutch depress.... Have to let the engine wind down to about 2500 RPM's before it will shift correctly.... Snycro's are toast...

What about bracing like an H brace for the front? I just want the best possible match without feeling like I am driving a go cart... Are there any bushing kits available for our cars?

She is getting fixed and customized the right way now, and everyday it gets better. I like you Crans always good for advice!

Last edited by Kasper; Oct 7, 2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would recommend sway bar (progress and whiteline are both good for our car) and lower tie bar for the car then since you don't really want to look into coilovers. Springs I've heard good things about Tein S-Techs and the Eibachs. For braces you have to ask bakuro as he's the only one i know that has tried the h-brace as well as a front brace from an Evo.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
I would recommend sway bar (progress and whiteline are both good for our car) and lower tie bar for the car then since you don't really want to look into coilovers. Springs I've heard good things about Tein S-Techs and the Eibachs. For braces you have to ask bakuro as he's the only one i know that has tried the h-brace as well as a front brace from an Evo.
This Josh might have to get That Josh's Attention
Old Oct 7, 2014, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
They don't have specific kits for our cars however if you can get the measurements you can order the bushings from energy suspension. If you're having issues with the trans I'd recommend doing the synchros and the TOB if you're doing a clutch/flywheel job.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
H brace - wont fit without some extensive modification. Had to trim parts on the underbody and still broke the cups on the brace when I put it onto the ground.

Cusco power brace - leaves you without a crash bar. Requires modification to the bumper support bar, and the headlight I have a thread stickied about the whole process.

Sway bar - I have progress and whiteline. Both are great. Pick your poison. Would also replace the brackets if they look rusted at all while installing.

Lower tie bar - I have a cheap ebay one for a base model lancer. Worked perfectly well. Also have a prototype on my green car that looks very similar to what RRM sells.

Rear strut bar - I have one. I wouldn't bother with one unless you went thru with an X bar or A bar type setup. Reason is because our rear struts mount even with the floor pan in the trunk and not above it. So they are somewhat already linked. I have a thread on the X bar around here somewhere too.

Bushings - whiteline has a roll centering kit I believe. You can also window weld your motor mounts and any other rubber bushings for more stiffness.

Springs and struts - I have the kyb struts and s.tech springs on my white car. Has a nice level drop and has performed well. I also have megan racing coilovers on my green car. Do what you want, but I wont bother with springs again, quality coils are much more worth it IMO. I'm actually swapping the coils onto my white car soon since the green car wont be needing them for a while.

Final words of advice - you said you wanted it to still be comfortable. I wouldn't do all of these things. I've compared my car to an OZ rally. I feel like the OZ was a caddi and my RA was a pissed of go cart... I literally feel every crack in the road. And the turning arrows on the road I feel those too. This is ok for me, I like it. But I can see how it wouldnt be for everyone. Doing the suspension really does bring this car to life. Keep in mind too tho that if your going to be hugging corners sticky tires will do a world of good as well. If you have crappy tires you'll have crappy contact with the road surface regardless. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited by bakuro117; Oct 8, 2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

I've been running S-tech and KYB for like 3 years with no problems...the fronts are starting to make squishy noises, but they still dampen pretty good...the whiteline bar is a lot cheaper than progress, or at least it was when I got mine. Whiteline makes a bunch of bushings for our cars...but not everything...

I really think just springs and struts, and a sway bar will do exactly what you want, down the road you can always add more mods, but I think the best place to start is the primary components...there are softer lowering springs you can buy...Tein's are pretty tight...but RalliartN's swift's feel pretty good.

and of course, replace worn bushings at the same time...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

So after everyone's advice, solid motor mounts a must, sway bar, lower tie bar, springs, and struts.... Will I need a camber kit for the car after the springs for proper alignment?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

you'll need a camber kit up front if you want a custom alignment...
Old Oct 8, 2014, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Yep Crans is right. Only reason you'd need a camber kit is if you want custom alignment. Lowering springs wont drop it enough to require adjustment.

Solid motor mounts will give you some vibration when sitting still but I didnt mind it at all.

I honestly think you could skip the lower tie bar too. Unless you found one for super cheap.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

Just ordered the springs a few days ago, will be adding to this thread when they get here. Going to go over the install what is needed and how too. I'm going to give the stock struts about six months before I put in the kyb shocks.... I bought some solid motor mounts as well. going to do the same with those.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

got some wheels and tires for it also. 17 X 7 +40 wheels and 205 x 17 x 40 tires....
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:44 AM

Does anyone know where I can get the KYB struts for the rear and in Canada? I can only find them for the front.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.autopartsway.ca/

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrades