Notices

Suspension Sag Issue

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Suspension Sag Issue

Ok so I have searched and all I came up with was everyone saying that it was normal for the sag. Well this isnt... I have had my Ralliart since last November and it has become a point where the suspension in the back is so low that my tires point inward and I have completley destroyed them due to the bad camber.

So my questions is it just that the springs have been worn on over time and are just defective.
Or can I buy a camber kit for the back, I know RRM makes one for the front.
Will some Teins fix this?

Also on my front suspension they have 2 green lines across the black part above the spring ( sorry not really knowledgeable with suspension) are the Tein maybe by the off chance that someone put a set of coilovers on the front and not the back. The rear suspension just has 2 dots which I assume is factory.

I need to fix this problem ASAP because my one tire the wires are showing thru.

Thanks.

***Update With Pictures!
Just bought 2 new tires for the rear I really need to figure somthing out on this because its cuse vibration in the wheel because I ran my tires so bald.

Last edited by Pin2Win; Sep 25, 2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added Pictures
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 02:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Take a picture of the rear, and whole car side profile (in good light), and I (or someone else) can tell you if it's really sagging.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I will do it tomorrow, thanks.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 06:16 PM

I have a suspension sag issue as well. the car looks like I lowered the back and raised the front.

Each time I have the car serviced, where the car is hoisted up, The car looks normal after the service until the next morning where its sagged down again.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:27 PM

I think I have a similar problem. But probably the only difference is I'm still on stock suspension.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:40 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to jack your thread. But I just think we have a similar problems so it's easier to seek help this way.

Actually I don't know if the back is sagging or not.

Sorry for the bad pictures.

Last edited by law418; Sep 24, 2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:35 AM

Thats pretty close, on my car the top of the wheel arch covers the tread area of the stock tire. I get rubbing on my 17 Inch setup. the rubbing actually comes from where the rear bumber and rear quarter panel are joined. There is a screw there that I am very very afraid of.

Either way I have stock suspension components and I need to fix it. My local mitsu dealership is douchebag city and I refuse to ever take my car there again.

If anyone has the best guess part and cheapest price anywhere for the part I would really apreciate any input.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rear suspension is sagging or my alignment is off to the point where my 17's had some really bad camber wear on the inside on the driverside. I was just assuming that the suspension was shot cause well with my driving style and the amount of pot holes in boston... I wouldn't be surprised. However I swapped my 17's off and bought some nice summer tires for my 16's and so far I haven't seen much camber wear. I doubt the change in rim size made a difference but I had 225/45/17 tires and I believe the only tire I could fit on the rear without rubbing that plastic/metal screw tab between the bumper and 1/4 panel was Falken Ziex series all season tires. I have tried Federal, Toyo Proxies 4's, and Kuhmo's with no luck. The Toyo's were fine unless I had someone else sitting in the car or I hit a pot hole or something.

The reason why I went back to the stock 16's was cause of the lack of tire fitment. Plus I got a sick deal on the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's... When and if I upgrade my suspension (prob next spring after the winter) I will go back to 17's. I plan on going with a megan setup eventually. That is if I opt to keep this car. For now my 17's are for sale until I find a reason not to sell them, lol.

Keep in mind if you run something smaller than 225/45/17's you won't need to roll your fenders. I believe 215's will work fine, the 225's were just a hair too wide. With 225's I had to roll my fenders and test about 5+ different tire types to get them to fit. Although I admit with 225's all around the car looks reallly mean :-)

Now I am on 215/40/16's... wheel gap pwns me but the tires are awesome and they were cheap.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Looking at the picures posted above, when i was on stock suspension, that's about where my car sat too. I currently have Tein S-Tech's on the stock dampers; when I installed them, the rear raised maybe 1/8-1/4 inch. And to Goob, noting the front is higher than the rear, that's just the way it is. Most cars on the road are that way, so what you're seeing is normal.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

To the OP, does your car sit lower than the one in the pics above? It seems like your issue may be an alignment gone wrong or something.

Inherantly, installing Tein springs won't fix the tire-wear issue. That being said, I believe the spring rates for the Teins are stiffer than stock, so if you often drive with passengers/cargo, from that perspective, it may "help" (though you'll want to install all four corners for spring rate consistentcy...additionally, research the additional pros/cons of this if you are considering doing it).

The green lines you see on the shock body are normal...if there were coilovers on the car, you'd definately know (they look totally different). The stock dampers are black; the only replacements, the KYBs, are silver.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

I updated this with some pictures, where my fingers are, that is the furthest I can push them up in the wheel well. My car is getting lower and lower.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:55 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Take your sub box out and see where the car sits then. That's a bit low, but my sub box is good for dropping the rear of my car about 1/2" with S-Techs, and stock springs are a bit softer.

Law418 - That's the normal rear ride height.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's your tire size and what's the offset of the rims? Even mines weren't out that far...
Old Sep 25, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

My rims and tires are stock size. I didn't change anything up at all because it would cost too much to get rims and tires. Those tires in the picture have been on the car for 6 months by the way.

I will take the sub box out but honestly its not that heavy that I think it would put so much weight to make it wear all the way on the inside of the rim.

Quick Reply: Suspension Sag Issue