Notices

clutch bleeding issue

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2015, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch bleeding issue

I am almost complete with my brake job situation. I bled the brakes with no issue. The clutch on the other hand, is giving me major issues. I am not able to get fluid to flush through the bleeder valve on the slave cylinder. The pedal has no resistance at all. The master cylinder is full and topped off. I have searched everywhere and found no real correct way to fix this issue. Some say pump, some say no pump, some say other stuff lol! I am just trying to get her going again finally. Any ideas are very helpful!!!
Old Jun 14, 2015, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
DO NOT PUMP...

press pedal slowly and all the way to the floor, hold, bleed, repeat...

if you have the original Ralliart master cylinder, you may need to bleed it first...same procedure, way less space to work
Old Jun 16, 2015, 05:33 AM

Crans, are you referring to the bleeder valve to the right of the master cylinder? It is tucked behind the wheel well on the firewall? Bleed that one I mentioned, then do the slave cylinder down below, correct? Thanks again!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

that's correct

make sure you don't release the pedal at all until the bleeder screw is closed, or it will take forever...lol
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:52 AM

Awesome! Will tackle this asap, all depends on the tropical storm barring down on us in Central Texas
Old Jun 24, 2015, 05:30 PM

Crans, I finally got some time to work on this project again. I started at the pain in the **** CMC and did the whole push pedal and hold, break loose and tighten, then allow the pedal to come back up to position. We did this at least 30+ times with little to no fluid being pumped through. The reservoir is full and all other bleeders are tight. Any suggestions or am I just needing to try more times you think? I wish I could get the hand pump line on that bleeder, but hands wont get me there. Also, with the bleeder hand pump, if I see consistent air bubbles will this affect the bleeding? It is just air being pulled in since I cant get a perfect seal on the bleeder. thanks!!!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

how full is the reservoir? try filling it right up to the rim, and see if it will draw fluid...the reason pressing the pedal to the floor slowly is to avoid scoring the cylinder walls prior to fluid entering the cylinder, which will render it useless....I even dripped some brake fluid into the cylinder rprior to installation, but it shouldn't be necessary...
Old Jun 26, 2015, 05:52 AM

Bleeding is complete! The process I took might not work for everyone. We topped the fluid off just before overflowing, we kept it there throughout the whole process. We were able to do this just at the slave cylinder to complete. The CMC bleeder we left alone this round. while the bleeder is open, the pedal person slowly pushed the clutch down. I would close the bleeder, then have the pedal brought up. Took minutes and seemed painless. The clutch is tight and the brakes work perfect. This was my first full brake rebuild, so it had a few learning curves. Should have pics when I get a chance to wash her up. Crans, thanks for the advise.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

you're supposed to press the pedal before opening the bleeder, but I'm glad you got 'er going!