Notices

Tein Street Basis

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tein Street Basis

Been running Swift springs on OEM dampers for a while now. Stiffer than OEM springs but softer than coilovers. Love them on the street. On track they allow some body roll which makes for easy sliding and allows a driver to learn car control safely. Fantastic. However, I have never owned coilovers and was curious about that "next step" in high-speed handling, so I'd been browsing for a set. Saw some used Megans etc. but finally hooked up with Eddie in Keswick who was junking his Lancer and had new unused Tein Street Basis for sale, so we settled on $625 CDN - thanks buddy!

Tein street basis are different than those others. Tein recommends a "best" height setting. You can deviate from that up or down but it begins to compromise "best" performance because changing height also changes spring preload - you can see in the pics there is no third castellated nut on the bottom of the shock for height adjustment as the more expensive ones have. Also there is no damping adjustment. And you use your OEM strut top hats.

Spring rates are 7 kg/mm (392 lb/in) front and 5 kg/mm (280 lb/in) rear.

Rear struts: it seemed easiest to undo the sway bar link, and the lower arm at the camber adjust bolt. I marked the camber adjustment plate with a dab of white-out so I could ball-park when putting it back together.

Comparison of OEM/Swift (10 lb) versus Tein rears (10.5 lb). Re-use the top hat.

Fully assembled, ready to install. Easy-Peasy.

Rear installed and buttoned down.

Comparison of OEM/Swift (22 lb) versus Tein front (forgot to weigh it - but about 18 lb). If we were struts, that's me on the bottom and Cranswick on the top.

Front installed.

The top bolt with the tab is the eccentric camber bolt. It's supposed to allow up to 1.5 degrees of negative but it ends up being more like 1.0 degree. I maxed the camber by eye in the driveway, tightened everything, then installed the wheel.

Height with Teins installed (front 12.6", rear 12.5") is almost exactly what the Swifts (front 12.5", rear 12.4")were, measured from center of wheel to fender lip just above it.

I took it for a shake-out drive. Definitely firmer over cracks and bumps, and quicker steering response. Funny thing though, the ride is comfortable(?). I have a Touge track event on Saturday, will report back after that.

Notes:
Stock struts and Teins, front and rear, do not need a spring compressor when removing the top nut. It just plops off.

The kit is very thorough, with two spanner wrenches etc. Instructions are thorough, and there is a you-tube video on height adjustment:

Rear took more time to install than the front, but quite easy all 'round, and no crazy show-stopper (thank you God). About 5 hours total, being finicky and perfectionist.

You do need a professional alignment afterwards. After coilover installation, the steering wheel was offset a bit to the right and the car pulled a bit to the left.

To American friends: in this country we pay about 30% more than you do for anything, plus 13% tax in Ontario. A set of new Fortune or BC or even Megans would be $1500-$2000 to my door. Add in $100 for an alignment and thats just too much right now.

Last edited by RalliartN; Aug 25, 2015 at 05:07 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at you sir.... well done. I should know by now that when you go quiet for a couple weeks something is coming.
I await the assessment after the track day.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Awaiting your review. I always love your write ups. They are the best!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
geez Nick, grow some rust already >:|
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the kind words, gentlemen. I realize many of you are way ahead of my growth curve here, so thanks for being decent and patient when I share the sort-of-simplistic new stuff I've learned.

Crans, if you can get past the first picture, if it makes you feel any better the Jetta is an irrecoverable heap of salt-fog encrusted scrap iron I hate more than anything.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
irrecoverable heap of salt-fog encrusted scrap iron
you just described my car
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Follow-up

did about 4 laps then a front tire went flat. Turns out the shop that installed the new RS-R's for me had cut some of the rubber near the bead and, I guess due to tire flex, that sliced piece got between the bead and wheel and let the air escape. It looked like a small black snake poking it's head out between the wheel rim and the tire. Luckily I always bring my spare little donut tire so installed that at a run-off area near the hairpin (yeow even the wheel spokes get burning hot) and made it home. Then I noticed a rear tire "snake" had also appeared!

So I went back and they removed the tires, cut off the offending rubber slices, said the actual beads themselves and sidewalls are okay, and buttoned it all up. I'll try it out.

Next major events aren't until October, will do final evaluation then.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Dang... That really sucks... Good thing there was no damages though.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unfortunate that something so simple spoilt your track day, I'm glad you were able to stop the car without undue excitement. Here's to the next one.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Unfortunate that something so simple spoilt your track day, I'm glad you were able to stop the car without undue excitement. Here's to the next one.
should have came to my house and destroy what's left of my tires.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice write up, I have been considering this set of simple coilovers. Sorry to hear about your track day, hopefully we can get some more updates from you. What size wheels & tires are you running if you don't mind me asking.

Last edited by SilentCool; Nov 5, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

I've the stock 205/50R16 tire size and 7x16 wheels.

Personally I would not invest in anything more expensive than the Street Basis unless it was for competitive racing. Very happy with track day performance, they are certainly not the limiting factor in how fast the car can lap.

As for the street, I think the Swifts with OEM struts are perfect.

If you do both kinds of driving, well, its like upgrading the front roll stopper. Hard as ****, or the less severe evo9 replacement? What can you stand?
Old Nov 5, 2015, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartN
If you do both kinds of driving, well, its like upgrading the front roll stopper. Hard as ****, or the less severe evo9 replacement? What can you stand?
STIFFEN ALL THE THINGS!

lulz