Notices

Your opinion on coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Your opinion on coilovers?

Hey guys, so I've been wondering whether I should invest in a good pair of coil overs for my RA. At the moment I've just got some progressive lowered springs on KYB struts which give a good height but i was wanting a more aggressive stanced looks, especially since I recently got new wheels.

Just wanted to see what your opinions and experiences were as there are some mixed opinions out there!

Last edited by paroshann; Dec 14, 2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been riding on bc racing br series coilovers for almost 2 years now. They kick ***. I had eibach lowering springs for years before, and you really cant compare lowering springs to coilovers. Truth is i do alot of tracking, so i take full advantage of the coilovers, but i do plenty of street driving as well. I have nothing bad to say other then they cost a lot more than springs and kyb struts combined, but youll be able to play around with your ride height and stance like you want.
I think they cost me about 1200-1300 tax in.
In my opinion, save a bit of money and get coilovers, you wont be disappointed.
I wrote a thread on them in this section, check it out out
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:46 AM

This a great answer! Thanks RalliZen, I'll definitely check it out for sure
Old Dec 15, 2015, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just installed a set of BC Racing BR coilovers as well on my RA. Mine was a lot more than RalliZen's due to the garbage CAD-USD exchange rates. My car came with Megan Racing Street coilovers which the previous owner installed at 60k km. One of them failed at 170k km and the rest of them are on their way out. You can check out my show and shine thread for more info. So far I like the ride quality and dampening of the BR series coilovers. They do settle down after you put some kms on them so beware of that.

Just make sure you save all your OEM suspension parts since they cost a tonne of money to replace with factory parts. I was quoted $300CAD for top hats and $200 per spring. I was only a couple hundred dollars off from buying coilovers versus reverting back to OEM. FYI, Tein Basis coilovers need OEM top hats as well.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 10:08 PM

Thanks for that jcmaz, I appreciate your opinion!

I feel your pain about rubbish exchange rates, I'm based on New Zealand so not only do I have to pay a the currency difference, packaging and shipping is a bi-atch too! Ive checked out your thread, wicked looking car and great write up!
Its good to hear about the ride quality with the BC racing coilovers, my main concern with getting coilovers is that the ride might be too hard lol but what im hearing so far is reassuring.

Shucks! I didn't realise the OEM parts cost so much, thankfully I still have the original springs!