Notices

Federal RS-R vs Bridgestone RE-71R

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Federal RS-R vs Bridgestone RE-71R

Been using Federals for a while now but got a really good deal on the Bridgestones so tried them. Stock size 205/50R16 mounted on 16"x7" wheels. Double as daily drivers and track tires.

RS-R: feel like big flat rubber bear paws - very reassuring at the limits of traction. Totally predictable. Can really "feel" the surface of the track through the steering wheel. But not quick turning, again more like a bear than a rabbit. Stiff sidewalls so car doesn't wallow through esses, it drives flat. Life as expected for 140 treadwear. Quiet on the highway(!), even when totally worn. Good predictable traction on wet track, not scary. Worked well with about 37 psi cold.

RE-71R full track day, 85F air temp. Rainy in morning, hot and sunny in afternoon:
Feel "skinnier" than Federals. Quick and agile, dartier aims and turn-ins, fun to drive! Bit of sidewall flex through esses, car bobs side to side more than with Federals. Slightly more greasy feeling at limit during slip but still predictable and no nasty "let-go" surprises. Slightly more disconnected feeling from steering wheel to road surface. Okay on wet track but not quite as reassuring. Noisy, droning on highway; my first time driving over tar strips I got scared because I heard really loud sounds like tearing cloth, then realized it was only the tires sticking and releasing from the tar. Also, these pick up more stones and gravel bits than the Federals. Worked well with about 33 psi cold. Wear seems about same as Federals so far, will confirm later at the end of their life.

Distinctly different feel between these two, but can't go wrong with either on the track. For extensive street driving I'd say Federals for less noise.

Federals (on right) are wider.

Hub rings used with aftermarket wheels. p/n 73-6710 (67mm wheel hub and 73mm ring OD) fit both different sets of wheels I have. A couple of times I've forgotten to make sure there was a ring on the hub, but even without one there has been no issues. Meh.

Inside of rear tire shows balled rubber from edge-of-traction sliding. You can drift a front wheel drive car. Mmm, gummi...
The following users liked this post:
bakuro117 (Aug 3, 2016)