Notices

coilovers or stock?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2016, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
coilovers or stock?

Trying to decide whether to pick up a set of the BC coilovers. My stock struts are done. I'm not sure, since my goal for the car is likely different than you might expect.

Here's some background: I use it for a daily driver. My commute is almost a straight road into Daytona Beach, so no fun curves to enjoy. I'm not interested in dropping the car, and I'm not going to track or autocross it.

What I'm hoping to achieve: adjustable rebound and high quality might make for a better ride. Handling improvement is a definite plus, for the occasional freeway ramp. I may mess with the ride height a bit, but I don't care for the "slammed" look for my own cars.

I'm wondering whether coilovers make sense for me, or should I just install the stock replacement stuff? A stock 04 Sportback RA handles pretty well already.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 09:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BC Coilovers aren't what I would consider a "high end" damper set up. With softer springs and the correct valving, you may get a like stock or better than stock, but generally the lower end coilovers will almost always ride harsher than stock. I've got Ohlins on my Evo VIII, and they ride better than stock at a lower ride height, and have vastly superior handling.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

I'm going to follow your suggestion. Not a lot choices for this platform, but my shop can get KYB's for it.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
KYBs with Swift springs if you can find them, if not the BCs with Swifts.

What do you expect people who dropped too much money on coil overs for a daily driver to say ?
Yeah my $4000 Ohlins ride like poo ?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
KYB's with Swift or Tein springs are a firmness and handling upgrade over the stock suspension (which is already pretty stiff for OEM items), yet you can live with this aftermarket spring setup in a daily driver. Even if the total cost of these new struts and springs comes close to coilover cost, this choice is the best for what you use your car for.

My opinion is that coilovers for street use are a waste of money. Why endure such an uncomfortable ride when you don't need high-speed track handling capability on the street? The track is the only place coilovers earn their keep. Don't do it.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Agreed with the previous posters. I have two Ralliarts that I've driven back to back. My grey one is lowered with lowering springs and stock struts, with stock wheels while the black is lowered on BC Racing coilovers, bigger swaybar, tie down bar, and 16x8 wheels.

I like how the grey ride on the street but there is a bit too much body roll when compared with the black one. My suggestion is to get nice lowering springs like what RalliartN suggested and add a bigger rear swaybar plus wider lightweight wheels. I think this would be the best option for you.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:44 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
crap. wrong thread. LOL
Old Jan 10, 2017, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
jcmaz hit the nail on the head: spend the money you save on a thicker rear sway bar, excellent handling upgrade (search for our discussion posts on that).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Car's back from the shop, with stock replacement shocks. I wish I could have put bilstiens on it, but they only make a stock replacement for the Evo.

Went with KYBs instead, and I'm happy with the results. I think that the suggestion to upgrade the rear sway bar's a good one, and I'll keep that in mind. I already have pretty good tires which is still the best performance upgrade there is: Continental Extremecontact DWS.