Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Got my new AWC pump installed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my new AWC pump installed

Covered under warranty of course. The crazy thing about it was when I went to sign the warranty work bill. I could not believe how much this thing costs!! Can you believe it was $2,222CDN?!?! How in the @#*! are people supposed to pay to get things fixed on this car when the warranty runs out?

PS - I went to the GM dealership today to talk about trading the Ralliart in for a new Silverado. This car is going to be a money pit.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 09:50 PM
Account Disabled

why did you need a new one? just failed or what?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

When it hit -34oC or however cold it got, the pump broke. The fluid gets way to thick at that temperature, so the pump burns itself out due to lack of or no lubrication. I asked the parts dude "is this going to happen every time it gets that cold out?" and he couldn't tell me "no" because the pump is just a direct replacement and not an upgraded replacement. I was told "well hopefully it doesnt get that cold anymore this year." HAH! It gets that cold ATLEAST a couple days a year here in Edmonton! So next year it will break again, and the year after, and the year after, etc.

MONEY PIT!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea if it's -35 degrees there i really don't think any life should exist. why would mitsu make cars to work where life can't? maybe you should move
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
Covered under warranty of course. The crazy thing about it was when I went to sign the warranty work bill. I could not believe how much this thing costs!! Can you believe it was $2,222CDN?!?! How in the @#*! are people supposed to pay to get things fixed on this car when the warranty runs out?

PS - I went to the GM dealership today to talk about trading the Ralliart in for a new Silverado. This car is going to be a money pit.
OEM parts are expensive, so when you are out of warranty you hope that by then any parts you need have cheaper aftermarket alternatives.

-Taranis
Old Feb 27, 2010, 01:58 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Isn't it the same pump that the Evo 9 uses? Or very similar?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:18 AM
Evolved Member

I think the price will come down considerably in five years when our warranty runs out (assuming you drive 12,000miles/year).

I doubt there will be an aftermarket for these things because the low volume sold, and the rarity of failure occuring don't justify the tooling.

Have you considered getting some sort of cold weather package for your car?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

well, also considering you were getting fixed at a stealership... they labor is probably marked as 80$ per hr...

OEM is hella expensive ... i will make sure I wont drive the car out when MTL hit -35
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
When it hit -34oC or however cold it got, the pump broke. The fluid gets way to thick at that temperature, so the pump burns itself out due to lack of or no lubrication. I asked the parts dude "is this going to happen every time it gets that cold out?" and he couldn't tell me "no" because the pump is just a direct replacement and not an upgraded replacement. I was told "well hopefully it doesnt get that cold anymore this year." HAH! It gets that cold ATLEAST a couple days a year here in Edmonton! So next year it will break again, and the year after, and the year after, etc.

MONEY PIT!
do some research on the fluid used in the system.

find an alternative fluid that can handle the extream cold.

the team at amsoil could be a place to start.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OR JUST READ!

I got my pump replaced also... its not a money pit. Mitsubishi came out with a re-flash for the ACD ecu that when in cold weather it stops pumping so it doesn't burn itself out.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

oem parts are expensive~
consider a oem RA hood is like $1300cdn (not with any grill)
Old Feb 28, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by badreligi0n
OR JUST READ!

I got my pump replaced also... its not a money pit. Mitsubishi came out with a re-flash for the ACD ecu that when in cold weather it stops pumping so it doesn't burn itself out.
LOL

If u look thru the posts about the pump failure, a few members on here got the AWC reflash and still had their pumps fail. The reflash was more for the cold start issues. Also it isn't just extreme cold weather that causes the failure. Jyrk on here who lives just up the road from me had his ACD pump fail and replaced and we only hit about -10C or so for about 5 days a year. Also the car is sold in cold places so it should come with adequate fluids that don't quit working in cold weather. When purchasing a new car, u shouldn't have to worry that the fluids that come in your car are adeqaute or not, the manufacturer should be smart enough to choose the proper fluids so u don't have to replace $2k parts every winter.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
LOL

If u look thru the posts about the pump failure, a few members on here got the AWC reflash and still had their pumps fail. The reflash was more for the cold start issues. Also it isn't just extreme cold weather that causes the failure. Jyrk on here who lives just up the road from me had his ACD pump fail and replaced and we only hit about -10C or so for about 5 days a year. Also the car is sold in cold places so it should come with adequate fluids that don't quit working in cold weather. When purchasing a new car, u shouldn't have to worry that the fluids that come in your car are adeqaute or not, the manufacturer should be smart enough to choose the proper fluids so u don't have to replace $2k parts every winter.
the pumps are upgrades from the very original production run. the awc reflash cures the pump failure problem on most of the ralliarts out there, but the original ones they used arent compatible with the programming or something. its all dependant on production date according to mitsu techline. they werent very specific about the reasoning, but something to do with the pcm date and some other features of the car. once the pump is replaced and the awc controller is reflashed, the problem should not occur again even at extremely low temperatures.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by initial_d2k
well, also considering you were getting fixed at a stealership... they labor is probably marked as 80$ per hr...

OEM is hella expensive ... i will make sure I wont drive the car out when MTL hit -35

Try $115/hr.
A dealership is also only allowed to charge a certain amount of time to fix something. If Mitsu says it should take 4.2 hours to fix, that is the max they can charge. This system is called 'Flat Rate', keeps from gouging customers.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by badreligi0n
OR JUST READ!

I have read. They did a re-flash as well. There have been people that are still having problems reguardless of a reflash.

Quick Reply: Got my new AWC pump installed