Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Why is the fuel economy for the Ralliart so poor?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
Is that car tuned? If it is leaned out maybe you could see that mpg that high, but I never hit more than 25 or 26 with strict highway driving with my bone stock setup.

Not that I am aware of. It should be bone stock with no tune, but I just bought the car so I am not 100% sure. I should have someone look at it to see if it has been tuned at all.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
RA and MPGs is bad combination.

Miss my Civic SI 30MPG measured at the pump.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 04:08 PM

You guys talk MPG, i talk MPL. (as in scandinavian miles. 1 is 10km.) So, i had to google to find a calculator to help me figure this here out.
A good day, i make it 350kilometers on a full tank, with just enough to get me back to the pump. That turns out to, 19MPG, as you guys count.
Very little highway, and about 50/50 city, country roads for the rest of it. And, i suppose i am a ... spirited driver. I admit, i didn't buy this car to then sit and drive it like i was worried about the gas cost.

But the mileage IS obscene. It is, hands down, the thirstiest car i've ever driven. Limited experience, of course, but it still includes some tuned 500'ish HP V8 machines, with the aerodynamics of a brick wall, BMW's from the mid-90's with 350+ HP, and small "fast" cars with to much turbo, and not enough engine volume. The RA is freaking amazing, love it, it eats them all for dinner, on the starting-line, and to 120-150km/h, but after that, it's just not able to keep up, and the fuel consumption is... insane. Luckily the smile-factor is just as insane.
B!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by -=Mr B=-
You guys talk MPG, i talk MPL. (as in scandinavian miles. 1 is 10km.) So, i had to google to find a calculator to help me figure this here out.
A good day, i make it 350kilometers on a full tank, with just enough to get me back to the pump. That turns out to, 19MPG, as you guys count.
Very little highway, and about 50/50 city, country roads for the rest of it. And, i suppose i am a ... spirited driver. I admit, i didn't buy this car to then sit and drive it like i was worried about the gas cost.

But the mileage IS obscene. It is, hands down, the thirstiest car i've ever driven. Limited experience, of course, but it still includes some tuned 500'ish HP V8 machines, with the aerodynamics of a brick wall, BMW's from the mid-90's with 350+ HP, and small "fast" cars with to much turbo, and not enough engine volume. The RA is freaking amazing, love it, it eats them all for dinner, on the starting-line, and to 120-150km/h, but after that, it's just not able to keep up, and the fuel consumption is... insane. Luckily the smile-factor is just as insane.
B!
I agree with you. Considering it is a 4 cylinder, it is too thirsty. My 1999 VR-4 gets the same if not marginally better gas mileage and it is a V6 with 750cc injectors, Denso fuel pump, and twin 15G turbos at 14psi (hardly pushing it) with supporting mods (417 awhp). And that motor was orginally designed in the late 80's with minor changes even to my year. All they changed was the crank from cast to forged and made the motor a 4 bolt versus 2 bolt. So how is it that a 26+ year old motor design with larger displacement and twin turbos on a heavier car which also has AWD get similar to better gas mileage?

Last edited by 1999VR-4EVO; Dec 20, 2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 06:18 PM

I'm just guessing, but i think it's the final gear ratio. It's also what makes it so fun to drive. I guess what i'd like is a weird ratio 6'th gear, or better yet, a new gearbox with a 7'th gear in it. It's not like i need it to go faster, but i do want to keep the engine rev's in the range where it isn't going crazy for gas.
B!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Drive train losses....with awd drives you inherently lose 15ish% power through the center and rear diff on top of the normal 10%. As a result cars like these are typically geared down a little bit so the don't feel mushy on the delivery, these 2 factors contribute frustrating milage....but also makes me happy with the 5 minutes of donuts I do in the snow.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 08:01 PM

Thats nowhere near the whole answer. I can drive the GMC Yukon Denali 2004, with it's "just short of 400HP" tune, at 30% less fuel then the RA. And it to has a constant all wheel drive system, and the disadvantage of being a freaking brick wall, aerodynamicly, and 2.3ton curb weight. It, on the other hand has a 4 speed automatic, with the 4'th gear ratio at 0.696, and our 6'th is at 0.731. It's true all the way through the gearbox, we have a much more aggressive gearing, giving us great acceleration, but top speed, and fuel economy suffers due to higher RPM when at speed. Priorities, so it's not like i complain, but it wouldn't have hurt to have a more economical 6'th gear. I wonder how much it would cost to transplant the 6'th gear from one of the SUV's with the SST gearbox...
Personally, when i shift to 6'th i'm done accelerating anyway, so a good crusing gear could be worth a lot. Undoubtedly not as much as it would actually cost, but the thought IS there.
B!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 07:19 AM

Thats nowhere near the whole answer. I can drive the GMC Yukon Denali 2004, with it's "just short of 400HP" tune, at 30% less fuel then the RA. And it to has a constant all wheel drive system, and the disadvantage of being a freaking brick wall, aerodynamicly, and 2.3ton curb weight. It, on the other hand has a 4 speed automatic, with the 4'th gear ratio at 0.696, and our 6'th is at 0.731. It's true all the way through the gearbox, we have a much more aggressive gearing, giving us great acceleration, but top speed, and fuel economy suffers due to higher RPM when at speed. Priorities, so it's not like i complain, but it wouldn't have hurt to have a more economical 6'th gear. I wonder how much it would cost to transplant the 6'th gear from one of the SUV's with the SST gearbox...
Personally, when i shift to 6'th i'm done accelerating anyway, so a good crusing gear could be worth a lot. Undoubtedly not as much as it would actually cost, but the thought IS there.
B!

I wish they would have made 6th a cursing gear as well. By the time you are at those speeds, the car doesn't really pull very hard anymore anyway. At least a stock Ralliart doesn't. My '92 VR-4 was a 5-speed and got better gas mileage too..
Old Dec 20, 2016, 08:59 AM

I REALLY want a cursing gear.
I assume you mistyped, but that was freaking hilarious. Thanks, i needed that today.
B!
Old Dec 20, 2016, 09:56 AM

I REALLY want a cursing gear.
I assume you mistyped, but that was freaking hilarious. Thanks, i needed that today.
B!

Yup that was entirely a typo! Glad I could make you laugh either way. Cursing gear...