Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

hood latch broke

Old Apr 30, 2013, 09:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hood latch broke

So I went to pop the hood and snap, the plastic latch broke. I searched and found this https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...-ralliart.html

Now I went to the stealership and they told me my car is not affected by this tsb. My car has an oct 08 build date which should be covered. They also told me they have to order a part and to come back.

I looked up the part number and its only the plastic piece that broke that they are ordering. I tried to pull the metal wire with a pair of pliers but no go even had someone push down on the hood. So I know the latch is not working. I also read there was a recall for this but can't find it now. They also want to charge me for 1.1 hours of labor when it should be .8

Who should I talk to about this or should I just bend over and let them do what they want.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you could go to another dealership...

or do you own research..

actually if you pm me i could try and look it up for you tomorrow... i have access to that stuff..
Old May 4, 2013, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That is a bulletin, not a recall, so if you are out of your basic warranty coverage limits (time or mileage) then it is no longer covered by the warranty and it IS an out of pocket expense.

If you pull on the cable with pliers (it actually takes a great deal of force to get it to work without the leverage of the handle and bracketry) and it does not open, then you probably do need a new cable, too. They may be doing both a cable and a handle, but only had the cable in stock and had to order a handle and will then perform the complete repair when all parts are available.

As far as the labor time, the 0.8 listed is the warranty allowance by Mitsubishi which is the amount that they will cover if the repair is performed under warranty.

Standardized pricing is what is used for regular customers, which is usually sourced from places like ALLDATA, MOTORS, or some other standardized source, and is probably where the 1.1 came from. You can try to negotiate them down to warranty labor rate, but that will be entirely up to the dealership whether they agree to it, or not, and they are in no way obligated to do so.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
That is a bulletin, not a recall, so if you are out of your basic warranty coverage limits (time or mileage) then it is no longer covered by the warranty and it IS an out of pocket expense.

If you pull on the cable with pliers (it actually takes a great deal of force to get it to work without the leverage of the handle and bracketry) and it does not open, then you probably do need a new cable, too. They may be doing both a cable and a handle, but only had the cable in stock and had to order a handle and will then perform the complete repair when all parts are available.

As far as the labor time, the 0.8 listed is the warranty allowance by Mitsubishi which is the amount that they will cover if the repair is performed under warranty.

Standardized pricing is what is used for regular customers, which is usually sourced from places like ALLDATA, MOTORS, or some other standardized source, and is probably where the 1.1 came from. You can try to negotiate them down to warranty labor rate, but that will be entirely up to the dealership whether they agree to it, or not, and they are in no way obligated to do so.
I am out of warrenty currently by 1,000 miles and like 5 months. I was confused why the dealer was only ordering the handle. I did have a nice surprise today when the dealer found out it was not just the handle and they had an extra cable in stock, they decided to cover it completly. I was not expecting that at all. I do believe there was a recall at some point for this but has since ended. Oh well, only had to pay 16 bucks for the handle and nothing else. So chalk one up to Mitsubishi for actually helping someone with a warrenty issue.

Last edited by gaabbee; May 4, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Not too bad, then. Glad it worked out in your favor. You see, we at dealerships are not all evil, after all...
Old May 5, 2013, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Not too bad, then. Glad it worked out in your favor. You see, we at dealerships are not all evil, after all...
Hmmmmmm...... No comment lol

Glad it worked out for u!
Old May 5, 2013, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe that dealership and you're dealership. I have personal experience with warranty repair claim with Mitsu. I work in GM dealership and I could say with confidence that Mitsubishi Canada is in nowhere near GM in terms of warranty repair. I mean really...

However, props to the Mitsu dealers that go extra mile in customer service!
Old May 6, 2013, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, have no fear, I am well aware of a few dealerships I advise people to steer clear of, but much of it has to do with the management/writing personnel currently employed at said dealership and that can change quite regularly.