Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

P1235 Code after Mitsu ECM Reflash

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1235 Code after Mitsu ECM Reflash

So, I like many others, got a notice in the mail back in January about the ECM Reprogram/Reflash for faulty MILs dealing with code P1241. Now, the car is all completely stock besides a K&N drop in. I've never gotten those faulty MILs, but I figured since the car is stock and untuned and before I DO get those faulty codes, I'd take it in and get the recall done. I had the recall done on Monday and two days later on Wednesday I got the code P1235. I was driving normally, it was about 30 degrees out and the car was definitely warmed up. I went to drive off from stop sign, probably giving it about 70 - 80% throttle and BAM, CEL light came on. Car went into a bit of a limp mode and drove like **** the rest of the way home. I got home, plugged in my OBDII reader and came up with P1235. That night I took it to my closest Mitsu dealer to look at. Following morning, they called me claiming that moisture somehow got onto the MAF sensor, and that they would have to clean the air box and intake and move it slightly to make sure moisture doesn't get in there again. (LOL What?) Ok whatever, the repair wasn't expensive so I told them to do it. This afternoon, they call me back and told me that the car threw the same code again and that they were on the phone with Mitsu Tech. (I bet...) Anyway, their new diagnostic is that oil or oil vapors ("Possibly from the K&N filter" again, LOL What?! The filter is a dry filter, never oiled it) are getting onto the MAF and causing the code. SO NOW, they want to put in a stock air filter, change the MAF, clean the throttle body, and do some other bull****. I think this is all getting ridiculous now. Has anyone else had this problem after the recall reflash? Has anyone else gotten the P1235 code? What did you do to try and resolve it?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mike594x
So, I like many others, got a notice in the mail back in January about the ECM Reprogram/Reflash for faulty MILs dealing with code P1241. Now, the car is all completely stock besides a K&N drop in. I've never gotten those faulty MILs, but I figured since the car is stock and untuned and before I DO get those faulty codes, I'd take it in and get the recall done. I had the recall done on Monday and two days later on Wednesday I got the code P1235. I was driving normally, it was about 30 degrees out and the car was definitely warmed up. I went to drive off from stop sign, probably giving it about 70 - 80% throttle and BAM, CEL light came on. Car went into a bit of a limp mode and drove like **** the rest of the way home. I got home, plugged in my OBDII reader and came up with P1235. That night I took it to my closest Mitsu dealer to look at. Following morning, they called me claiming that moisture somehow got onto the MAF sensor, and that they would have to clean the air box and intake and move it slightly to make sure moisture doesn't get in there again. (LOL What?) Ok whatever, the repair wasn't expensive so I told them to do it. This afternoon, they call me back and told me that the car threw the same code again and that they were on the phone with Mitsu Tech. (I bet...) Anyway, their new diagnostic is that oil or oil vapors ("Possibly from the K&N filter" again, LOL What?! The filter is a dry filter, never oiled it) are getting onto the MAF and causing the code. SO NOW, they want to put in a stock air filter, change the MAF, clean the throttle body, and do some other bull****. I think this is all getting ridiculous now. Has anyone else had this problem after the recall reflash? Has anyone else gotten the P1235 code? What did you do to try and resolve it?
The K&N filter is an oil based filter, and it has been confirmed that many X and RA owners stay away from it because it does damage the MAF sensor. So i would say that the oil from the filter did damage the filter. If i were you i would switch to a non oil based filter i.e. Cosworth(best drop in IMO) or Works or HKS! I hope your car is taken care of. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...-filter-2.html theres 1 thread but trying to find more

Last edited by Nast_Nas; Feb 28, 2014 at 04:48 PM. Reason: new
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the K&N filter comes with oil in it or on it, from the factory? Because I've never oiled it. I just dropped it in dry, or, what I thought was dry.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

So if I'm understanding you correctly, the K&N filter comes with oil in it or on it, from the factory? Because I've never oiled it. I just dropped it in dry, or, what I thought was dry.
yes the K&N filter does come oiled from factory. i ran it personaly for about 3 mths then i heard about the MAF issues and i quickly switched to Cosworth. i have the filter right here if you would like a pic or something.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nast_Nas
yes the K&N filter does come oiled from factory. i ran it personaly for about 3 mths then i heard about the MAF issues and i quickly switched to Cosworth. i have the filter right here if you would like a pic or something.
heres K&N link to the filter http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2392 it says oiled near bottom and in the specs it shows it re-oiled amount

http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm

Last edited by Nast_Nas; Feb 28, 2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: new
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm, I see. Well, I'm not trying to argue with anything you said, but I actually called K&N today to talk them about it (because my warranty company isn't honoring the warranty due to the dealer telling them that I had a performance mod (the filter)) and the guy basically said that the oil coming off of the filters and hurting the MAF is a myth and has been disproved by K&N numerous times already. They claim its been a myth forever and that they have constantly proved it wrong. Infact, the guy I spoke with at K&N even told me that when I get my MAF replaced, that I should get my old one back, send it out to K&N and they will test it for me, for free and give me a printout of the findings. So now I don't know what the hell is going on. This **** sucks.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Regardless, out of the two filters you recommended, which one do you think is better/worth having in the car?
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting... 2 different companies saving face and blaming each other...
Well I have ran K&N drop in's in my last 3 cars including the RA and nothing ever related to that kind of problem.

In my very unprofessional opinion I'd have to go with K&N considering that is their specialty in that department (Intakes and Intake Accessories) and where as the Mitsu boys are more than likely taking the quick route out of this problem.

EDIT: For people's essay's
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?id=422

" we have sold over 10,000,000 lifetime air filters and received only a few hundred calls from consumers who are having dealership or service provider challenges. "
Proof is in the pudding imo

Last edited by Murdered Out; Feb 28, 2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I would tend to lean towards the K&N side of it too, but we'll see what happens. As long as the dealer has the car and keeps trying a bunch of BS, I'll keep updating the thread.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I would tend to lean towards the K&N side of it too, but we'll see what happens. As long as the dealer has the car and keeps trying a bunch of BS, I'll keep updating the thread.
good luck bro!!
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:18 PM

I've gone with K&N on my last Lancer, decided to go dry filter this time because I didn't want the hassle of oiling a filter element. Went with aFe Dryflow S this time with no issues so far. I did have an issue with a K&N drop in on my 09 Lancer being overoiled, but it never got so bad that it hurt the car. More like I was a dingbat and overoiled so much that it leaked out of the airbox overnight :P

The dealership argument would make sense if the filter element was overoiled or there was a crazy volume of air being transferred taking oil vapours to the MAF. I've heard that our MAF sensors (as with any other MAF) are very sensitive to dirt but should be easy to clean with some MAF cleaner. Oil is still a fluid and it, like any fluid, tends to evaporate (even in low temperatures).
Old Mar 1, 2014, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

So far, this is getting to be reminiscent of Webmans thread from a couple years ago. I just hope it doesn't escalate that far.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

UPDATE :

Alright, so this week has been pretty interesting. My MAF was delayed on Monday and Tuesday due to the winter storm we got on the East Coast. Wednesday I get a phone call from the dealership service lady saying that the part (MAF) finally arrived and that it would be installed and tested Thursday and that she would call me and let me know when it was done. She also said that they would test the Catalytic converter for the proper readings (Uh, okay, I guess if thats done at no charge...) Yesterday I get a phone call from Mitsubishi Motors of North America. (I had previously contacted them about this almost a week prior.) Anyway, the lady I talk to is actually really helpful and understanding and she makes the phone calls now back and forth to the dealership. This morning I get another call from MMNA and surprise surprise, even with the NEW MAF, a clean throttle body, perfect flowing Cat, and stock air filter, the car DOES THE SAME THING. Same code as before, P1235, yay...??? SO NOW, MMNA is going to start working with the dealership apparently to more accurately pinpoint the problem. Today they are downloading all the information and freeze frame data off of the ECM and will be sending it up to MMNA. They will look it all over and begin again from there. I'm now expected to get a phone call on Monday or Tuesday to see what's going on.

So that's where I'm at right now. So far this whole thing has been pretty frustrating and annoying and it just keeps going down that road. Monday will mark 12 days that the car has been out of my hands because of this crap. I really hope the issue can be resolved soon and painlessly at that! The "pride of ownership" is starting to dwindle, but god dammit I still love my car and just want it back functioning properly!

Like I said, I will continue to keep you guys all updated as best as I can. Next post should be Monday or Tuesday.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So basically.. don't take the car in to get the update because the clowns at the dealers will f%@k up your car.

Oh and I also use the aFe dry filter (re-washable) and have had no issues with it.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

In my experience, DONT get the update done unless you were already experiencing issues...

I don't even know what to say about the whole experience anymore.

Quick Reply: P1235 Code after Mitsu ECM Reflash