Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Silicone vacuum hoses

Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silicone vacuum hoses

Does anyone know of, or has come across a silicone vacuum hose set, specific to our cars? By that, I mean a set that contains all or almost all of the vacuum/fuel vapor hoses, that are also pre-sized and even possibly pre-cut into the correct lengths already. I'd like to switch out all the rubber hoses for the silicone ones. I know the silicone doesn't dry rot like the rubber ones and I believe they can hold a little more vacuum/pressure than the rubber. Just curious...
Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't know that anybody makes a set--- Hose techniques used to make sets for cars, but now only sell in bulk. Be cautious of kits and the quality of hose used, I have seen the silicone hose collapse on cheap hose kits. Hose Techniques uses good quality thick firm hose, I have used it on my Evo, and a few cars from my past with great success...again you buy in bulk from them so you need to know the size you want and its pricey, but the good stuff always is. Good luck.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input. I'll probably just have to get some bulk hosing and cut the right lengths and all. I believe most of the hoses are 6mm, but I'll have to double check that.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
ok, but do it to pretty-up the engine bay and not to prevent rot or collapse...
The OEM hoses are good for ten years/200K miles...
Old Aug 11, 2014, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Well, the car is only 6 years old but... I live in South Jersey. I can literally throw a rock at the ocean and the Delaware bay. Let me tell you a thing or two about salty air.............

EDIT: Actually, you should know, being in MD. And the amount of salt they throw on the roads here in the winter is just ridiculous.

Last edited by mike594x; Aug 11, 2014 at 09:28 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 03:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mike594x
Does anyone know of, or has come across a silicone vacuum hose set, specific to our cars? By that, I mean a set that contains all or almost all of the vacuum/fuel vapor hoses, that are also pre-sized and even possibly pre-cut into the correct lengths already. I'd like to switch out all the rubber hoses for the silicone ones. I know the silicone doesn't dry rot like the rubber ones and I believe they can hold a little more vacuum/pressure than the rubber. Just curious...
http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...productid=2257

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...&cat=85&page=1

Here you go
Old Aug 19, 2014, 05:38 PM

This sounds like an awesome project. If you are really going to do this, please start a "how to" thread.

Most of us will have to do this too eventually.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 09:47 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Veronica
ok, but do it to pretty-up the engine bay and not to prevent rot or collapse...
The OEM hoses are good for ten years/200K miles...
It may be possible to get that kind of life out of oem hoses, but mine started failing before 100k. There are probably many variables that determine how long your hoses will last so I don't want to discount what you are saying, but I would just add that your mileage will vary.

oops didnt realize i was necro bumping.... you ever just google search something and not bother looking at the dates?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Right, this is an old thread. I am pretty sure Veronica meant under most circumstances the hoses last quite awhile and there is no need to waste the time and money replacing them unless you have quite a bit of miles on the car. Kind of like, if you really don't have anything else that needs more attention, then go right ahead.