Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler Delete

Looking for info from anyone who has done a muffler delete, cash is to tight for a catback right now so this seems like the cheapest and best sounding option from what ive heard on youtube. Looking to do 2.5" piping with new flange so its plug and play, wondering how much louder was it then stock especially inside the car as I will have my 7 month old in there. Any information would be great, thanks
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Why not spend $99 and have a shop do the muffler 'mod' (cut the internal tube out and re-seal the muffler case). Sounds louder/deeper with no drone (and not desperately ricer like, say, a straight pipe would )...
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cizic
Looking for info from anyone who has done a muffler delete, cash is to tight for a catback right now so this seems like the cheapest and best sounding option from what ive heard on youtube. Looking to do 2.5" piping with new flange so its plug and play, wondering how much louder was it then stock especially inside the car as I will have my 7 month old in there. Any information would be great, thanks
You see a lot of things on this forum---
its one thing to do what you want to your car and your own ears or those of your friends and adult family.
Completely another issue to risk the ears of your child, who has no choice, no voice and wont completely understand the potential damage until its far too late.
Rethink your choices.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 08:02 AM

im working on this same project right now, I already got the 2.5 flange and 2 90degrees to make my collector im waiting on my pipes and 2 single wall 4" tips, its definitely gonna be louder than factory just like if you install an CBE would be louder too,you still have cat. and resonator that would help with the sound inside of the cabin, its hard to tell how loud would be inside until you have it because what might be loud for you might not be loud for somebody else, I definitely don't think it would reach dangerous sound levels for your baby in the car but that's my opinion, plus baby is not gonna be 7 months forever..lol
this is the video a looked to get the idea on how to do it.. im using single exhaust tips tho..
Old Aug 30, 2014, 08:58 AM

thanks for the input, maybe ill just wait and put it towards a catback, that's the video that got me thinking about this and a couple of evo's who have done it but good to see im not the only one considering this, sickone let me no how it turns out when you complete the project
Old Aug 31, 2014, 09:17 AM

I just recently had a shop install my cpe 3" downpipe and full 3" back. We ended up installing 2 resonators to bring the sound down. My opinion it's still to loud. We will be modding the oem muffler like works does ( mention a few posts up by cutting the internal pipe) so I can quite it down more. It has serious drone at low rpm. I would recommend modding the oem muffler and maybe a high flow cat if you wanna open up your exhaust. With a child in the car doing full 2.5" it will be way loud. Once I get mine finished I can upload a clip if you'd like.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 05:03 PM

Just go to a muffler shop and tell them you want a 2.5" short muffler or a straight pipe, if you were in so cal, id rec you go to road race engineering and they do this all the time, but id skip almost any 3" miffler setup unless youl like it loud..
Old Sep 1, 2014, 04:29 AM

Failed to mention that im only looking to change up the axle back like the video posted above, the stock cat and resonator will be staying in place. So how loud do you think it would be inside the car and out with no muffler with the turbo/cat/resonator to help quiet it down some
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:03 AM

If you are looking just for a more rumble like sound and such do this:

http://www.clubralliart.com/showthread.php?t=946

I changed my cat as well but even before that it sounded great and not super loud! 8) plus free!!!
Old Oct 27, 2014, 08:16 PM

Anyone with muffler delete + hfc running the gst tbe tune? I'm just on the boostpill tune atm and wondering if I can safely squeeze a few more hp out seeing as I'm about to do muffler delete + hfc
Old Oct 28, 2014, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fisheye2
Anyone with muffler delete + hfc running the gst tbe tune? I'm just on the boostpill tune atm and wondering if I can safely squeeze a few more hp out seeing as I'm about to do muffler delete + hfc

Taking out your muffler will not give any any increased HP. When I first bought my car and had a dyno done I had a HFC and was running the GST basemap. My horse power went up when I ran the HFC instead of the stock Catalytic converter. The main restriction is your Cat not the muffler. Also using 3 inch pipes makes a big difference as well.

After countless runs and logs on a dyno you find out what works and what is a waste of time and money.

Also if you do not have a TBE do not use the TBE map. Bryan made the maps specific to exactly the mods he listed and only the mods he listed . If you want to use a TBE map, buy the parts associated with the part.