Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Looking to Buy a Ralliart

Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to Buy a Ralliart

Hi I'm new here and I'm looking to buy an RA. I wanted some insight from RA owners about the car and how it copes with high mileage. I'm looking at a 2009 RA with 98k kilometres. Is that too many kilometres for an RA? Will I have problems mechanical problems? I would go for something with less km but it's all I can afford.

Also, what can I expect for my insurance premium to be? I currently drive a 2002 Mustang GT and I'm paying $430 a month. Will it be cheaper since smaller engine and 4 doors?

This is the car: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:51 PM

price is about what you would expect for being in Canada, has the tranny been looked after, is it still on its first awc pump, any accidents? as for your insurance id say it will be around the same or possibly more, guessing for you to pay that high your very young or have a terrible driving record, also are you planning on extended warranty
Old Oct 24, 2014, 01:59 AM

I doubt it'll be much help considering our rates are way diffrent but in Saskatchewan a ralliart costs just about the same as a 02 gt to insure around $120/month, if you get grouped in with regular lancers like we do I could see it being cheaper for you though.

I couldn't even imagine paying $400+ for insurance.... That's crazy lol.

Last edited by Gillzpyre; Oct 24, 2014 at 02:05 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gillzpyre
I doubt it'll be much help considering our rates are way diffrent but in Saskatchewan a ralliart costs just about the same as a 02 gt to insure around $120/month, if you get grouped in with regular lancers like we do I could see it being cheaper for you though.

I couldn't even imagine paying $400+ for insurance.... That's crazy lol.
I'll never understand why people enjoy being grouped with "regular" lancers... sure you pay less but what happens when you total the car and they go to pay you out and they treat it as a lancer not a ralliart.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Murdered Out
I'll never understand why people enjoy being grouped with "regular" lancers... sure you pay less but what happens when you total the car and they go to pay you out and they treat it as a lancer not a ralliart.

in Ontario its listed as a lancer ralliart and when getting quoted was only 100 bucks cheaper a year then an evo which was in the collision portion, my insurance guy was surprised at the collision cost and forsure isn't labeled as just a base lancer
Old Oct 24, 2014, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Murdered Out
Atleast in my province the Lancer, ralliart, and even evo are all the same price to insure, but if you were to have one become a total loss the government has an appraisal done, taking mileage, load out, and current resale cost into consideration. I agree it's not a good thing in all classes but for us it's not bad being lumped in with regular lancers.

Last edited by Gillzpyre; Oct 24, 2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbxbal
Hi I'm new here and I'm looking to buy an RA. I wanted some insight from RA owners about the car and how it copes with high mileage. I'm looking at a 2009 RA with 98k kilometres. Is that too many kilometres for an RA? Will I have problems mechanical problems? I would go for something with less km but it's all I can afford.

Also, what can I expect for my insurance premium to be? I currently drive a 2002 Mustang GT and I'm paying $430 a month. Will it be cheaper since smaller engine and 4 doors?

This is the car: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Good Lord! 430 a month for insurance, that's a car payment. Can I assume you are pretty young. Far as Insurance, I was quoted for 123 a month on a 2014 RA, and I'm in low 40's age wise. I was told the RA was top of the line Lancer, which is BS the Evo is. The RA is considered a Sports Sedan, even with a 4cyl, but it's got Turbo so they use that in the equation as well, so it may not be cheap, maybe cheaper than what ur paying now. Really just call your insurance company or do online quotes with others(just be prepared to get sales calls). Some places give you discounts for AWD, Stability Control, Airbags, etc... some don't.
Far as reliability, well it's used so you hope the previous owner(s) took some care of it. I'd have a buddy or a garage you trust check it out first, since it's used you have to expect some things not right with it. Like most things, take care of it and it will take care of you. If your mechanically inclined then you can do most things yourself that would cost you an arm and a leg at dealer or shop. Good Luck on what you decide whether its an RA or something else.....
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

at 98xxxkm they should have done a sst transmission oil change and rear diff and transfer case oil change. The tranny oil being the most expensive, cost me about $500 doing that oil change, and thats doing it myself, shipping the oil and filter to the border and picking it up and bringing it across (i live 1 hour from the border) and changing the oil myself. don't even ask mitsubishi what it would cost you. another $100-200 to do the other two yourself.