Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tpms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tpms

Hi,
I got off work started up the car and a few seconds later the TPMS sensor came on. I drove maybe a mile and pulled over and didn't notice any tire being low. I drove maybe 3 more miles and the TPMS sensor went off. I double checked the tires and didn't see any tire noticeably low. It was maybe 40 degree's outside a little cold, but nothing major. Is it possible being somewhat cold it went off and when tires warmed up it went off?

* Okay, I didn't realize the TPMS system was somewhat sensitive. Talked to dealer, he said if pressure is off 3-4lbs it will set off sensor. Checked tire pressure, all were at around 25lbs, so aired up to around 35lbs for cold weather(what was recommended on car sticker). TPMS sensor went off after about 2mins of driving after aired up.

*They use N2 in the tires, I'm not chemist, does N2 lose air faster or easier in cold weather? Dealer said N2 is basically 70% air etc..

Last edited by russ72; Oct 30, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I think the factory recommended tire pressure is too low for real-world use. I keep my front tires around 40psi and my rears around 37-38psi and it seems like I get the best blend of performance, fuel economy, and tire-wear doing it that way.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Nitrogen servicing is preferred over air for 1. it is drier (no moisture), and 2. It holds a more constant pressure at different temperatures... It is NOT more sensitive to temp changes or leaks out more...

If your tires are wearing faster on the outside edges - it indicates the tires are too low!!