Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Turbo not working??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo not working??

I am unsure what the issue could be, I drove to flagstaff over the weekend and was going 80+ MPH the entire way there. The only upgrade I have is a bigger exhaust (3" piping with magna flow muffler and aftermarket tips) any how my car was extremely slow and not boosting at all when I got home I took the battery out for a couple hours and when I put it back the turbo seem to be working fine until this morning it started doing the same thing.. any ideas? I did check the piping and the piping is all good with not loose at all.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Eri2199024
I am unsure what the issue could be, I drove to flagstaff over the weekend and was going 80+ MPH the entire way there. The only upgrade I have is a bigger exhaust (3" piping with magna flow muffler and aftermarket tips) any how my car was extremely slow and not boosting at all when I got home I took the battery out for a couple hours and when I put it back the turbo seem to be working fine until this morning it started doing the same thing.. any ideas? I did check the piping and the piping is all good with not loose at all.
This happened to me too i was hitting boost %95 of the time the way home and im on 28.5psi then when i got home later that day i did 1 pull and when i tried to throttle it a bit my car wouldnt hit boost maybe 1-2psi...I thiught i blew my turbo for sure.I was very low on gas so i filled up still wouldnt hit boost let my car sit for a hr drove it a bit wouldnt hit boost so i kept driving it and slowly it started hitting boost again and hasnt happened again and hopefully wont..just let it sit for a bit
Old Sep 2, 2015, 01:22 PM

I will do that tonight but... I also have this rattling noise that is coming from the exhaust manifold/turbo area... I am going to take apart the turbo soon I hope its all good. Did you also have that rattling noise?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:26 AM

Just an update, for whatever reason the turbo started working again. I have noticed that whenever there is a rattling noise when I accelerate the turbo will not work. I let the car sit for a while and then it starts to work just fine??
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil level good? Oil change done lately? Check oil lines for clogs (top and bottom)? Waste gate working correctly? Working after cooling down i.e. seals resealing maybe?
You both my be looking at buying a new turbo soon, this doesn't sound like something you just live with for sure. Good luck guys.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:12 AM

Oil levels are good and changed regularly, luckily I will be leaving the car for 6 months so hopefully when I get back I can upgrade to a bigger turbo!
Old Sep 3, 2015, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by blakecakes
Oil level good? Oil change done lately? Check oil lines for clogs (top and bottom)? Waste gate working correctly? Working after cooling down i.e. seals resealing maybe?
You both my be looking at buying a new turbo soon, this doesn't sound like something you just live with for sure. Good luck guys.
My car is new idk why it happened to me from what I understand it went in to limp mode or whatever it's called its only happened once to me hopefully it won't again
Old Sep 4, 2015, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
maybe needs a tune.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Sounds to me like perhaps the bearings are starting to fail, generates more heat (friction) and the wheel is expanding (now additional friction from rubbing on the case) and getting jammed.

If after it is losing boost and you let it cool (not battery reset) and then it works again - sounds like new turbo to me.

Like posted above, I would check the volume of oil output (input to the turbo) to see if it meets spec. before installing new turbo...
Old Sep 4, 2015, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did have to replace my turbo after only 20K miles, seals went out and boost was non existent to say the least. If still under warranty and you used recommended oil during changes a dealership can verify it was just a mechanical failure and replace it for you, got mine replaced for free.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Veronica
Sounds to me like perhaps the bearings are starting to fail, generates more heat (friction) and the wheel is expanding (now additional friction from rubbing on the case) and getting jammed.

If after it is losing boost and you let it cool (not battery reset) and then it works again - sounds like new turbo to me.

Like posted above, I would check the volume of oil output (input to the turbo) to see if it meets spec. before installing new turbo...

+1
This happened twice on my buddies Cummins