Notices

The Coilover Settings Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikesim
i'd suggest driving them about 2-3000km's then adjust your damper settings accordingly. mine were pretty stiff breaking in and now after lots of km's, i've actually turned mine harder.

if you want sharper turn-in, i'd suggest hard tie rods. they make a world of difference in turning response.
jeez about 1500miles? didn't expect damper break-in to take that long. I guess I am too early to judge then, I've only driven about 500mi, which I thought was enough for the springs at least (coilover springs take less break-in than lowering springs right?)

guess I'll just reserve judgement/adjustments until I get more miles then?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'd agree.
At first they were so stiff I kept it at full soft rear and +10 from full soft front.
Then ~4K miles later (about a month ago) I noticed it softened up quite a bit. So last week I turned my fronts up to 20 (-10 from full hard), and then down a hair to 16. I need to drop the rears and turn them up to 10.
Point of my ramble is, it took a surprising amount of time to soften up (although there was ALSO a noticeable initial softening after 500-600 miles).
Old Sep 28, 2011, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Question for the BC Racing RAM Coilover owners. I just got mine and on the front coilovers, the dampening dial is on the bottom. Do any of yours have this or is the dial on the top? I'll try to get a picture tonight.

Last edited by TOralliart; Sep 28, 2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TOralliart
Question for the BC Racing RAM Coilover owners. I just got mine and on the front coilovers, the dampening dial is on the bottom. Do any of yours have this or is the dial on the top? I'll try to get a picture tonight.
the RAMs are inverted dampers, so naturally, the knob is "inverted"

was a surprise "duh" moment to me too. naturally looked for the adjustment on top
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
the RAMs are inverted dampers, so naturally, the knob is "inverted"

was a surprise "duh" moment to me too. naturally looked for the adjustment on top
LOL. Definite "duh" moment. Thanks for the quick response.

PS - The instructions are translated from Chinese and are hilarious to read.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

i don't see bc coils for the 2009+ ralliart on their website... do you just order for evo 9?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Frank120
i don't see bc coils for the 2009+ ralliart on their website... do you just order for evo 9?
You buy the ones for the standard Lancer, which is model B-19. The Lancer and Ralliart share the same setup as far as the suspension, so it bolts right up perfectly.

DO NOT order anything other than the 08+ Lancer parts for the Ralliart, nothing else will fit.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

But the ralliart is heavier than the na lancers... Or does it matter? At least for springs ik you can't get gts one for ralliart but u can do vise versa
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

But the ralliart is heavier than the na lancers... Or does it matter? At least for springs ik you can't get gts one for ralliart but u can do vise versa
BINGO! So don't let them give you the 'default' 6k/4k springs. Go 8/6 at a minimum.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
BINGO! So don't let them give you the 'default' 6k/4k springs. Go 8/6 at a minimum.
sstevojr hit it on the head perfectly. The Ralliart is indeed heavier, so make sure you get stronger springs.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

what should i go for then? I want it to feel kind stiff (make stearin wheel stiff to move like a bmw) I want to go pretty low would the spring rates have affect oh height or does it matter cuz I can go lower if i want? or is spring rates just "stiffness". sorry I'm not smart with suspension.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

bump! i want to order!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

what should i go for then? I want it to feel kind stiff (make stearin wheel stiff to move like a bmw) I want to go pretty low would the spring rates have affect oh height or does it matter cuz I can go lower if i want? or is spring rates just "stiffness". sorry I'm not smart with suspension.
bump! i want to order!
Just order a set of BC coilovers, BR-series (non-inverted) in 8k front, 6k rear. If you like it, great. If not, you can go up or down 2k without needing a revalve on the dampeners.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

+My turn

2010 Ralliart Sportback
BC Racing BR coilovers
Spring Rates: 8k Front, 6k Rear
Front dampers: full soft right now for DD and break in
Rear dampers: 15 clicks from full hard/soft

Ride height: BC Racing factory settings for front and +5/8" rear (***)

Alignment:
Front: camber -2*, 0 toe
Rear: camber ~-2*, 0 toe (**** probably closer to -1.7* now)

Wheels: 18x8.5 TR Motorsport MT01
Tires: 245/40 Bridgestone Potenza RE 760 Sport

Initial Impressions:
The rear is too low. The rear tires are slightly tucked. This is causing my rear camber to be far to negative. With the damper set to 15 clicks, it seems it might be too stiff. However, given that these have a substantial break in period according to everyone that has BC Racing coilovers so far, they should 'loosen up' over time. So, I'm leaving them at 15, and will re-evaluate in July.

Other than the rear, I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised by the comfort level of these coilovers. All this time, I've been living in fear of an ungodly stiff suspension, causing me to not to get coilovers much sooner. I think this came from hearing horror stories from friends with Honduhs back in the day. So, coming from H&R drop springs to these BC Racing BR coilovers with these springs, the change in ride comfort is very welcomed.

In comparison, the H&R springs were "comfortable" and with satisfactory handling traits, when I was the only person in the car. When I started adding passengers, it loaded up the suspension even more, and, being on drop springs, (the passengers) shortened the already shortened suspension stroke to the point that it was nearly riding bump stops. Some of the rougher roads near downtown LA clearly felt like there was 0 travel.

The shortened stroke on the rear suspension was the most annoying, because the rear of the car would buck and bounce over certain bumps/humps in the freeways that i drive.

With these coilovers, I get the same ride height as drop springs, but with a longer suspension stroke. Which means that when I add my passengers to the car, I am not riding on bump stops. As a "test" i went down one of the more annoying sections of freeway with myself and 2 passengers, and everyone noted that the ride no longer felt abusive to us.

I need to raise the rear suspension tomorrow, and then take it for a spin up some local canyons to see how it feels in a more sporty environment... I'll add more to my impressions afterward.

**Update: Added 1/2" to the rear height, and took a run up Angeles Crest and Angeles Forest Hwys. I gotta say, that in addition to having very acceptable ride comfort, the sure footedness while canyon carving was very satisfying. Nothing seemed able to upset the car including mid corner off camber dips in medium speed sweepers.

Overall, these are so far a much better "all purpose" solution for a DD than drop springs are.

***Update 2: Added another 1/8" to the rear height. It looks about right height wise, and no longer feels like the rear is sagging when I drive. So, the rear camber should be closer to -1.7* at this point.

Last edited by nunyas; May 2, 2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old May 2, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Good review nunyas!

Quick Reply: The Coilover Settings Thread