The Coilover Settings Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

you're going to have to up the spring rate at the rear. The 8k 6k setup doesn't really cope with passengers very well. I found the 8k 6k setup to be fine with only front seat passengers in my car. However, when i started adding people to the rear seat, the suspension would start bottoming out. Naturally, the heavier the passengers the worse it gets. The worst i've had was 5 people (myself included) @ roughly 200lbs per person that was an additional 1000lbs added to the car. The rear practically road on its bump stops with that load. Even 1 average weight passenger (100 - 200lbs) in the rear seat will significantly reduce the amount of travel at the rear with the 6k springs.

If you intend to carry rear passengers on a regular basis, you may want to consider 7k or 8k springs for the rear. Sounds like it'll be stiffer, and it will be with no passengers, but when you load up the rear seat, the stiffer springs will help stay off the bump stops, and staying off of the bump stops will be smoother.

The caveat here is the rear shocks on all of the coilovers I've looked at so far appear to have shorter stokes than the stock RA rear suspension. So, no current coilover system will offer the same ride comliance at the rear of the vehicle as the stock system, until someone decides to make a coilover system that adds an extra inch of travel at the rear.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks nunyas! I was thinking of the swift spring 8k F & 7k R
Just a weird thought, how would the OEM springs act inside the coilovers? Lol
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

I would suspect the coilovers would be on the bump stops almost all the time if you could get the stock springs to fit. This is mainly because the stock springs have a lower rating (softer) and the coilover shocks have a shorter stroke. So, the stock spring wants to "sag" more than the coilover spring, and as a result the shock would sit closer to its bumpstop than it is now.

A stiffer spring (like a 7k or a 8k) will cause the rear shock to sit higher in it's stroke length. Giving you more distance for compression and reducing how often you impact the bump stops.

The stock springs can be lower rated springs because the stock shocks have a longer stroke to them. The stock springs also have roughly 1/2" to 3/4" of pre-tension when mounted to the shock. The softer spring with the longer shock stroke is what helps stock suspension from bottoming out all the time, and ride smoother over all.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

KSport

Well Im sure ive got a setup no one has, My 2009 Ralliart Now has Ksport Rally ashpalt Coilovers. During the summer I run a TSW 18x8" with a BFGoodrich Gforce radial T/A 245/45/ZR18. During the Winter I run my stock 18x7" painted black rims with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 22/45/R18 Snow Tires.

I first had Tein S-Tech Spring Kits on my OEM struts, Blew out after 25K
Ksport Coilovers Spring Rate: Front 9.8/549 Rear 8/448
Dampering setting full soft (36 Different setting) Front & Rear. Just installed less then 500 miles.
For the rear camber problem I went with SPC rear adjustable upper control arm. Its two peice with a cam bolt. about $125 my cost.
Alignment Measurements goes as:
Left Front: -0.3 Camber 2.3 Caster 0.05 Toe
Right Front: -0.3 Camber 2.5 Camber 0.05 Toe
Total Toe Front: .10 degrees
Steer Ahead 0.00
Left Rear: -0.7 Camber .15 Toe
Right Rear: -1.1 Camber .12 Toe
Total Toe Rear: .27degrees
Trust Angle: .02

This Alignment was done using my New Hunter Hawk Eye Elite machine, The best advailable on the market, Everything things in the Green and rides smooth as stock, handles like a Race Car.
Attached Thumbnails The Coilover Settings Thread-ksport-ralliart-coilovers.jpg  
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Pics of your adjustable rear upper control arm? and more details on it in general would be nice...
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.spcperformance.com/compon...AFrom&to=USATo This part does fit the 09+ Lancer Ralliart, just look up the # in there guild

I use SPC for alot of Alignment Parts in the past. I have the Whiteline kit they sell but its a ***** to adjust, this Camber Arm is very easy, I spot welded the cam bolt after alignment to make sure it doesnt change
Old Dec 6, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

sweet thanks for the info!

this is huge... for the longest a lot of us have been operating under the assumption that the only rear camber adjustability that we have is w/ the WhiteLine rear camber bush.

Last edited by nunyas; Dec 6, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

****Update to my coilover settings.****

I have BC Racing BR series coilovers. They WERE on 8k F/ 6k R. I've replaced the rear springs with Hyperco 7k (400lbs/in) 7"x 2.5" (180mmx65mm) springs. I installed the springs with 1" (25mm) of preload, and the dampers are set to 15 clicks from full soft. The ride is ~SO~ much better now and there is a ~LOT~ more control to the ride. In fact, the rear of the car now behaves exactly like I expected it to: slightly stiff (just enough to communicate road imperfections), absorbs large dips and bumps w/o upsetting the occupants, and doesn't bounce out of control. I've yet to go over anything in my daily commute to cause the rears to bottom out on the new springs. The rear of the car just soaks up the bump and returns to its neutral position in a single compression/decompression cycle now. Where as before (w/ the 6k springs), the rear would bottom out if you even looked at a raised crack in the road, launch passengers into the ceiling if you hit uneven pavement at freeway speeds, and then take 5 or 6 short compression cycles to settle back down.

*Something to note regarding the BC Racing coilovers that I got: When I removed the 6k springs I noticed the specs stamped on to them does not match BC Racing's applications chart. According to their charts, the Lancers should have a 6k 180mmx62mm spring (for the rear), but the springs I pulled off my coilovers were 6k 160mmx62mm. That is 20mm (3/4") shorter than what their application charts claim. That coupled with no preload on the springs definitely contributed to an unnecessarily rough ride (i.e. I was always bouncing on the bump stops).

I like these new Hyperco springs so much, I'm putting serious consideration into replacing my front springs too.
Old May 28, 2014, 09:37 PM

Reviving the stagnant thread with a question.

I've got BC BR's on now. Dampers both set at 15 front and rear. Anyone know kind of damper setup would be good for something like launch the car? I kinda figure stiffen the rear, but what about the front? trying to eliminate some of the front end lift and rear squat basically
Old Jun 8, 2014, 05:34 PM

So how can I get pricing on the BC coils with swift springs?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 11:32 PM

Ok guys. I have just bought the BR series from BC racing. I bought them with 1,500 miles on them, from another guy.

They came with 6/4 kg/mm springs. I haven't installed them yet as I'm not home.

I was wondering what I could expect from this setup, after reading this thread... My goal is to have a well handling car for the track that it is nota PITA to drive in the city every now and then.

From what I understand, those spring rates will not get me even close to that, is that right?

Also, a stupid question... are the springs on the front interchangeable with the ones on the rear? If I go to a 8/6 setup, can I buy just a 8k and use on the rear my 6k currently on the front?

Stupid question #2: My friend has a set of 9/7 kg/mm from Tein. Would that fit BC's coilovers?

Last edited by caduprado; Oct 4, 2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello,

Check the BC website and look for the application list:
http://www.bcracing-na.com/wp-conten...-list-2014.pdf

For your car you will notice the specs:
62-200-6 62-180-4-S 65-203-X 65-178-X

The first two digits are the inside diameter, the next 3 are the length ad the last one is the spring rate. Given the difference in length front to rear I would say you cannot swap the springs. Whether you can use the ones from Tein depends on what the inside diameter and length of the springs from Tein are. If you can, I would recommend getting the Swift springs all around though. There is a thread about a guy with a car like yours who was testing for Megan, his feedback maybe useful to you. If you like your car to be neutral and to rotate, you may want to have higher rates at the back than the front.

Post and let us know what you end up doing.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Hello,

Check the BC website and look for the application list:
http://www.bcracing-na.com/wp-conten...-list-2014.pdf

For your car you will notice the specs:
62-200-6 62-180-4-S 65-203-X 65-178-X

The first two digits are the inside diameter, the next 3 are the length ad the last one is the spring rate. Given the difference in length front to rear I would say you cannot swap the springs. Whether you can use the ones from Tein depends on what the inside diameter and length of the springs from Tein are. If you can, I would recommend getting the Swift springs all around though. There is a thread about a guy with a car like yours who was testing for Megan, his feedback maybe useful to you. If you like your car to be neutral and to rotate, you may want to have higher rates at the back than the front.

Post and let us know what you end up doing.
HI, mate!

Thanks a lot for the info! I ended up giving up on the purchase. Thought those 6/4 spring rates would please me and decided to wait until some other second hand, more suitable, coilovers appears here for me. Unfortunately, the exchange rate from my currency to dollar has gone crazy on the last month, which increases greatly the price for a new one.

Let's see what happens on the next months. Good thing I didn't buy the tein Springs from my friend, as they are 70 mm ID.

Thanks a lot for your help and I'll definitely put an update here once I get a new setup.

Cheers