Notices

Ralliart Suspension Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
Which brings us back to my original statement:

FYI, we aren't using the same unit of measure. I don't think there is any such thing as 3500lb/in spring rate. SUPER stiff track springs are 16K which 896lb/in; so 3500 lb/in would be...62.5K kinda absurd ;p
When talking spring rates any "xx"K is kg/mm, not 1000's of lbs/in (we aren't compacting the car into a soda can, haha)
yeah... units makes all the difference... coulda saved a lot of typing if we both made units clear from the start
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There has got to be another company out there who makes stiffer springs for the RA.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Did you guys know that you can order springs in almost any size and rate from 150-500K? I feel like a kid in a candy shop.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Swift has a pretty expansive line-up
Old Aug 19, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

^Hmm.... so thinking of selling your coilovers eh?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
Did you guys know that you can order springs in almost any size and rate from 150-500K? I feel like a kid in a candy shop.
Yep, looking forward to it. I used to run 350/400 lb/in with Konis on a 2000lb car. It kills me that the kits for the 3600lb RAs are in the 150lb/in range. I had some links saved for few companies, just need to determine compressed and free lengths and diameter for our stock springs to determine what to buy.

Now when you get these shocks developed, I won't have to buy another set of stock shocks/struts or KYB GR2s to get custom valved, thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

^Hmm.... so thinking of selling your coilovers eh?
It's circling around the fish bowl...
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by all_thumbs
I had some links saved for few companies, just need to determine compressed and free lengths and diameter for our stock springs to determine what to buy.
When you figure this out, let me know. I am in need of new springs.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Subscribed!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor

If I were to order a set of high performance springs, how do I figure out what size is correct?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "size". Do you mean diameter, or the whole ride-height/sprint-rate thing? In any case...

On my last car, I got the stock springs measured, both in and out of the car:

The spring supplier requested various ride and spring height measurements with stock springs still installed. I then sent all four springs off to the supplier. They tested them w.r.t. the measurements I'd taken, then recommended replacement springs based on the weight of the vehicle, what I said I wanted out of it, etc.

The new springs they shipped dropped ride height by the exact amount they indicated in advance. They weren't custom made jobs - the measurements I took, plus the testing they performed, showed which of their off-the-shelf springs would best suit me and the car.

But you probably don't want downtime, eh. I was lucky with the above - I found a spare set of springs to ride on while this was going on! They were softer, so it was ugly there for a bit, but it kept me mobile!

Rich
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by richardjh
But you probably don't want downtime, eh. I was lucky with the above - I found a spare set of springs to ride on while this was going on! They were softer, so it was ugly there for a bit, but it kept me mobile!

Rich
Which company does this kind of thing. I will need to have all of this hammered down before my impending pre-design meeting with Koni to discuss what these things actually need to be able to do. I would like a 300 lb/ft rate spring that lowers the car about 1.5-2.0 inches.

I can measure the diameter of the spring. I will find my stockers. I then need to measure the free-standing length of the spring and the compressed length while on the car. I know more or less what I want for it to do.

So, they will tell you the drop, based on the weight of the vehicle, and the spring coefficient? Is that how it works, or is there something else that I am missing?

Also, I guess that I need to contact Swift and get this party started if it is really that easy.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

At the time, I went through King Springs, eastern states Australia. That might not help you much!

But it's not rocket science. With a measured "compressed spring height" on the car, I guess it gets loaded into a squishing, compressing machine thingy (let me know if this is getting too technical!) and a force reading taken at the same height.

It undoubtedly gets more complicated if variable rate springs are involved.

If you have stock springs out of the car, you win. All you need then is in-car spring height measurements. Anyone on here with stock springs can get you that. Just make sure their car body matches yours (sedan vs. sportback) to avoid surprises.

Then you can give the springs and the installed-height measurements to a competent party, and they can do the math.

Rich
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Is anyone willing to take in-car spring height measurements for the stock springs? Pretty please!
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Sedan or Sportback?

Rich

Quick Reply: Ralliart Suspension Upgrade