Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both please...
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by richardjh
Sedan or Sportback?

Rich
I am guessing that you already sent King Springs the specs on our stock springs. They have a set listed for the RA. What are the rates of your springs? They advertise both progressive rate springs and linear.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
No, not me. Suspension is way down on my list - I've bumping into various temperature limits, so those take modding priority!

Anything I do to increase speed down the straight just hurts me more on the temps... so I need to get my priorities right.

But I'll certainly measure my Sportback springs for you when I can...

Rich
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor

I really appreciate it. The components should be here tomorrow and will more than likely reach Koni by the end of the week.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor

I have the components. Happy day! I also have a set of springs. I am going to send them to Koni, as well. It turns out that they make springs. I want to have them measure out a new set. I want to have them lower the car as much as possible while maintaining a rate of 300#. I realize that a lot of you already have springs. That is not a problem. The shocks and struts will just be more powerful than you need. Nothing wrong with that.

I now need to figure out how stiff to go with aftermarket sway-bars. I don't want to re-invent the wheel, so Whiteline is the obvious choice. I just need to know how much stiffer to go to compensate for the added force(s) generated by the new, better, suspension components during concerning. I also want to eliminate as much under-steer as I can during this upgrade.

I suppose that I will need new bushings, as well. I might as well upgrade absolutely everything to create a really solid setup.

On a side note, testing all of the this stuff is going to be fun. I want to try this out on a skid-pad. Any volunteers (in NC/VA) to help out?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

I recently put on the 24mm rear Whiteline sway bar, and it's ridiculously stiff. Even with tighter springs/shocks/struts, it still may be adequate.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 06:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jasoob
I recently put on the 24mm rear Whiteline sway bar, and it's ridiculously stiff. Even with tighter springs/shocks/struts, it still may be adequate.
I do like the idea of keeping the rear stiffer than the front. I am curious to see what it recommended as far as springs are concerned seeing as that is the case.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Just measured stock spring height in-car... Sportback...

Front: 210mm
Rear: 225mm

The rears are recessed a fair bit up top. I measured from the top of the metal spring recess itself... ie. from the outside of the part in which the spring sits. From there to the bottom of the spring was 225mm.

The front spring doesn't sit at equal height all round, top to bottom. I measured the spring height at the point furthest from the wheel. That's the 210mm measurement.

Note that it's a total pain measuring spring heights for a car on the ground! I'd say the above are +/- 10mm for error as a result. That's the best I can do. If you need more accuracy, collect results from more than one person!

Rich
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

If you need it, here are the measurements on Sportback for "wheel-centre to bottom-of-wheel-guard".

Front: 392mm
Rear: 372mm

Years ago, when I got my old car springs assessed, they asked me for this.

Rich
Old Sep 2, 2011, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

The springs are all but taken care of. Thank you so much, Rich. I will post a Group Buy closer to the time of release of the shocks/struts to get the whole package completed. The rate is going to be as close as possible to 300#. I also plan to have the springs lower the car 1.5-2.0". This is going to be a really stiff setup. Though, I am confident that the shocks/struts will handle everything like a champ.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 04:38 PM

Nice! Hope to be apart of your group buy once it begins.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
The springs are all but taken care of. Thank you so much, Rich. I will post a Group Buy closer to the time of release of the shocks/struts to get the whole package completed. The rate is going to be as close as possible to 300#. I also plan to have the springs lower the car 1.5-2.0". This is going to be a really stiff setup. Though, I am confident that the shocks/struts will handle everything like a champ.
Stiff and lowered means I won't be ordering, but it sounds like a great project.

Good luck with it! The funnest bit would be to book a day on a skidpan and test every combination of settings in a controlled environment.

Rich
Old Sep 3, 2011, 09:08 AM

300/300 isn't that stiff. I used to run 300/350 on a car that weighed 1600lbs less. If you have the damping to handle the spring rate, it is does not feel uncomfortable, it just corners flatter and doesn't dive as much under braking.

Many of the better coilover kits for the Evo for example come with springs in the 500lb/in plus range.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

The only point that I was trying to make is that these are going to be significantly stiffer than any spring option currently out there.
Old Sep 4, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

^^I agree, its all in the dampeners and valving. If they are strong enough/set-up properly a stiff spring will feel awesome!

Quick Reply: Ralliart Suspension Upgrade