evolutionm.net - Home of the Lancer Evolution
Home Features Community Marketplace Registry Garage Store

Go Back   evolutionm.net > Lancer Ralliart Forums > 09+ Ralliart Brakes/Wheels/Suspension
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Search

Welcome to EvolutionM.net!
Welcome to EvolutionM.net.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:32 PM   #31
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)
2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback

Drives: 2010 Tarmac Black Ralliart Sportback

yeah, it's a weird balance between constantly "stabilizing" the car and "helping" you drift the car. Everything I've read seems to indicate it's best suited for tracks and not racing cones...

Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:05 PM   #32
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)
Garage is empty, add now

Drives: MY09 Ralliart

I've had NT-05's on my RA for about a year now and I can't really fault them. I haven't done any Autocross (and don't plan to) but have pushed them pretty damn hard on some long winding roads. They performed great.

They're also the tyre of choice that comes stock on Ryan Gates 311RS project so I guess there is something to consider in that too.

Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:15 PM   #33
Evolved Member
Personal Sales Rating: (7)
1999 Mazda Miata
My Garage

Drives: to the store and back

I think Ryan is sponsored by Nitto, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02lancerguy View Post
Amby walks into a bar...instant bar fight ensues.

Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:06 AM   #34
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

^I think so, yes. Here is his initial impressions of them back in 2008.

And here is another Evo related impression of them under track conditions.

And not Evo centric, but a comparison with Star Specs here.

Take these for what they're worth. Personally, I think they are a great tyre for people in warm to moderate climates that like spirited driving or track days. I never push my car on the streets and in the rain so I don't notice the wet performance (or lack thereof) too much at all.

At the end of the day, they're all just tyres so if you think they suit your driving habits, just give them a go.

Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:16 PM   #35
Evolving Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer

Drives: 11 Ralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyas View Post
yeah, it's a weird balance between constantly "stabilizing" the car and "helping" you drift the car. Everything I've read seems to indicate it's best suited for tracks and not racing cones...
The X is definately more a track car then a cones car. Hell, even the RA is more a track car then a cones car (we weight too much to be a good cone car). Not that it can't be used for running cones mind you, but they both are just more at home on the track. In anycase, almost all the indexed X autocrossers around here run the old 8 or 9 diff to get rid of the AYC. I personally kinda like it myself...but I love me my techno wizardry that save me from my own stupidity...because if I dont have it, fate has to step in and you know what they say about her....

Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:20 PM   #36
Evolving Member
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin5 View Post
At the end of the day, they're all just tyres so if you think they suit your driving habits, just give them a go.
Well...the thing is that people tend to use tires for 3-5 years. That means you cycle through 3 sets tops in a 10 year ownership (not counting OEM tires) and some may only change it once. That is a big chunk of time to be stuck with something that does so much to your car's handling and not be happy with it. I know it sounds foreign to me as well as I have to change my tires every year (if there is any tread left, the heat cycling will have made sure it's dead regardless)...but that is how some people view tires.

Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:15 PM   #37
Evolving Member
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNapalm View Post
Well...the thing is that people tend to use tires for 3-5 years. That means you cycle through 3 sets tops in a 10 year ownership (not counting OEM tires) and some may only change it once. That is a big chunk of time to be stuck with something that does so much to your car's handling and not be happy with it. I know it sounds foreign to me as well as I have to change my tires every year (if there is any tread left, the heat cycling will have made sure it's dead regardless)...but that is how some people view tires.
Fair point. I guess if you're in the category of those who expect 3-5 years out of your tyres then you aren't really the kind that will be doing track days or long stints of spirited driving. So you won't be getting the most out of a tyre like this. As I said, if the tyre suits your driving style and habbits then they are definitely worth considering. If not, no worries Something like the Hankook V12's might suit others and I'm sure they'd be very happy with them. I know this doesn't relate directly to you ColdNapalm, I'm just generalising for those in the category you've mentioned.

I try not to get too hung up on tyres. I might try some Star Specs next set just to make my own comparison against the NT-05s which I've been rather happy with so far.

Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:35 AM   #38
Evolving Member
2011 Mitsubishi Lancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin5 View Post
Fair point. I guess if you're in the category of those who expect 3-5 years out of your tyres then you aren't really the kind that will be doing track days or long stints of spirited driving. So you won't be getting the most out of a tyre like this. As I said, if the tyre suits your driving style and habbits then they are definitely worth considering. If not, no worries Something like the Hankook V12's might suit others and I'm sure they'd be very happy with them. I know this doesn't relate directly to you ColdNapalm, I'm just generalising for those in the category you've mentioned.

I try not to get too hung up on tyres. I might try some Star Specs next set just to make my own comparison against the NT-05s which I've been rather happy with so far.
I kinda like the v12s for DD...but I had some chunking issues with them after around 4 autocross events. They seem to not handle the heavy termal cycles of autocross very well. Since I need a set of tires to do daily driving, autocross and track, I am constantly looking for that perfect blend tire...and considering I have accelerated my tire usage from lasting 1 year to 8 months it seems, I will have a lot of chances to do so :P . I can't affors to have two sets of tires since paying 800-1500 bucks every 8-12 months is bad enough...2+ grand is out of the question (my track tires will be dead every year from termal cycles and I kill my treads in about a year as well...what can I say, we have some nice back roads).

Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:35 AM
EvolutionM
Mitsubishi Lancer

Paid Advertisement

Tags
autox, backorder, code, cold, date, driving, evo, junk, nitto, nt05, nto5, rain, review, rs3, wet