Notices

Brake and Rotor Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake and Rotor Advice

Hello fellow RA owners,

It is time for me to replace my brakes and rotors, having some vibration in the front rotors when I brake which is from slightly wrapped factory rotors. At the same, I'm thinking of upgrading the brakes and rotors to some performance ones. Seems the ones from Mitsubishi are rather expensive, so figured an upgrade would be nice.

My current setup
Stock everything for the most part, upgraded wheels to Enkei WDM 18x7.5

I'm more of a spirited driver so take corners fast and such , I don't track my car so don't really need anything for track use.

Wants: low brake dust, good/great stopping power (dry/wet), good life (for the price being paid)
Don't want: poor stopping power (dry/wet), low life, and brake dust

Here's the options I'm look at for brakes and rotors:

Brakes:
EBC Greenstuff Part #DP2954
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3070A0A0.aspx

EBC Redstuff Part #DP3954C
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3071A0A0.aspx

Rotors:
Stop Tech Drilled & Slotted Rotors Part #s: 127.46078L & 127.46078R
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...0A3349532.aspx

I've heard that EBC brake pads are good, have seen some instances where people are saying they create a ton of dust. Seems all pads and such now whether they say they create low dust, generate a ton of dust of some type. Was thinking of going with drilled & slotted or whichever is better drilled or slotted, figured both would be best of both worlds.

Anyone running any of these parts that can provide some insight. I thought about if I can't get the upgraded rotors get some basic Centric ones or maybe some from local autopart stores, same with the brakes too but both of those are important the car needs to STOP.

Sorry for the long post, but just want to make sure I get a good set of rotors and pads for the money. Thanks in advance
Old Sep 3, 2015, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Definitely not the Red Stuff (track only).

I have had real good results from Hawk HPS (nice bite and noticeably reduced brake dust). No noise and don't need to be hot to be effective...

FWIW - see my FS post on those rear rotors...
Old Sep 3, 2015, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I actually had alot of brake dust on the HPS lol. It turned my rims from gunmetal to bronze with how much was on them

You're going to have a tradeoff with performance and dust unfortunately.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I highly recommend EBC Redstuff.

I had these on my car for almost 4 years and I really liked them. I followed the break in instructions exactly and they served me well. I was worried that they would not be good stopping from cold (First hard stop when the brakes are cold) since I daily drove my car, but there was no issue, even in winter. The initial bite on pressing the brake pedal was great and even with the cheapest discs I could find they worked very well. Brake dust was minimal, noticed no difference from the OEM pads. Basic Centric rotors or whatever the cheapest rotor you can get is good, dont bother with slotted, drilled etc.
Initially I had EBC USR rotors but I would not buy them again, the cheap rotors did just as well.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No track days --> Just buy decent street pads and blank rotors, done.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Veronica
Definitely not the Red Stuff (track only).

I have had real good results from Hawk HPS (nice bite and noticeably reduced brake dust). No noise and don't need to be hot to be effective...

FWIW - see my FS post on those rear rotors...
Which Hawk HPS pads? These: http://www.hawkperformance.com/perfo...ds/hb214f618-0

Or the HPS 5.0 ones. From what I'm read Redstuff is not recommend for track use.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
I highly recommend EBC Redstuff.

I had these on my car for almost 4 years and I really liked them. I followed the break in instructions exactly and they served me well. I was worried that they would not be good stopping from cold (First hard stop when the brakes are cold) since I daily drove my car, but there was no issue, even in winter. The initial bite on pressing the brake pedal was great and even with the cheapest discs I could find they worked very well. Brake dust was minimal, noticed no difference from the OEM pads. Basic Centric rotors or whatever the cheapest rotor you can get is good, dont bother with slotted, drilled etc.
Initially I had EBC USR rotors but I would not buy them again, the cheap rotors did just as well.
I think I'm leaning towards Redstuff, was considering Greenstuff for the sprited driving aspect that they're focused for but Redstuff is listed as having less dust. Leaning towards the Centric Premium Rotors http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A5250A0A0.aspx

Thinking ahead in the event the rotors need to be machined or so, may be best to just get ones that can be machined easier or so.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

I went with the R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotor kit with their pads and couldnt be happier. Good stopping power and basically no brake dust.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 08:10 PM

No track time? Standard duty pads and rotors will be fine.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thud Slamrod
No track time? Standard duty pads and rotors will be fine.
especially with correct bedding.More than important..
Old Nov 14, 2015, 01:35 PM

I just bought Hawk HPS pads front and rear, always use them and they always work well. Good cold bit and they don't fade during spirited driving 7/10ths. They also last for a decent amount of time and dont produce to much dust. Last set I got I would say gave me about 20-30% better bite and way better fad reductionover stock. For rotors, I got stoptech drilled this time. Last time I went with centric premium. They worked really well with the HPS pads. StopTech is a division of centric. I have always been happy with centric and I expect the same from the stoptech drilled. I will post part numbers in a little while as the drilled are a little hard to come by the part numbers.

Does anyone know the torque specs for the rear caliper bracket and caliper bolts? I cant find them anywhere. I have been online for the last hour looking. I have the fronts from another post on here.

After I get them on and heat cycle them I will do a review if anyone is interested.

Heat cycle (bed in)your new pads and rotors. Super important............
Old May 4, 2016, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock2005 Evo 8 and I use Centric powerslot cyro rotors and stoptech streetperformance pads and RBF 600 fluid. AWESOME. Daily driving in all yearhot/cold West Virginia weather and they are have great grab, predictable grab,cold (first stop in winter driving to work) or hot (after several hard stops in August)Very little dust in normal driving.

Autocross:as the pad gets hotter and more frequent sudden stabs of the brake it stillgrabs consisted as it did daily driving. And no squeal. No initial hard grab atfirst touch of the pedal like an HP+, but still very consistent, linear andconfidentially predictable.

Track:I have run this set up on some track days at MidOhio. The hardest stop isat the end of the back straight going into turn 7 when I go from 120 mph to 55mph very quickly. This gets repeated every 2 minutes for 20-30 minutes, withother hard braking in the other 12 turns in between. Again the brakingcontinues to be as predictable as when I run them on the street, with no weirdchanges in initial bite, no fade at the end, never kicked in the ABS (unless Iwanted it to) it just makes a lot more dust than when I street drive and I weara lot more pad with that aggressive driving. When done and after brakes arecool and I drive home, they squeal slightly on gently street stopping pressure,but as soon as I hit the wheels with wheel cleaner and hose them off, thesqueal is gone. And the dust comes off pretty easy.

I have run this set up for 14,000 miles, including about 8 autocrosses and about 8 trackdays and the rotors look fine and the pads are about 65 to 75 percent wore out. So time to change the pads soon.

I was thinking about trying the Hawk HPS 5.0 this time. It’s performance isbetween the HPS and HP+. I have run both of those but not the HPS 5.0 The HPS is a great street andautocross pad, better than stock, quiet, low dust, but not quite the grip ofthe stoptech street performance pad and it doesn’t hold up as well under hardhot braking on a track session (but it wasn’t meant too). The HP+ has a niceinitial grab when you hit the pedal, more than stoptech, which gives you a littleconfidence when you late brake into a corner and wonder if the pad will feellike it has a firm grab or is hot, tired and has weak grip. HP+ holds up justas good as stoptech under some 20-30 minute track sessions, but squeals a lotmore. About the same dust under hard breaking, and about the same rotor wear(both easy on rotors).

So it would be nice to have an Hawk pad with a little more initial bite, a littleless squeal, and hold up better under repeated hard braking and still grip whencold with that first stop in daily driving. You know, a pad between HPS andHP+. That’s is what I am told is the HPS 5.0 (again, told, haven’t tried it,just the other two). But that is alsowhat I have experienced with the stoptech, so I am debating whether toexperiment with the HPS 5.0…will it be the same as the stoptech, a littlebetter or a little worse? Eh, only way to find out is try.

Two things I do know for any pad:

The bed in procedure is important for howthe pad will perform, and if changing to a different pad on the same old rotor,wash the rotors with soap and water thoroughly, dry, and then bed in the newpad.

Any brand pad the more aggressive you get(street to performance to track) the more dust and better hot stops but worse coldstopping power you will get. Pick a pad for the way you drive most of the time.If you only street drive and put a track pad on, don’t expect monster stoppingpower unless your rotors are glowing orange hot…and that don’t happen on streetdriving, I don’t care how spirited it is.
Old May 5, 2016, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
P.S. - Stoptech street performance pads are now called Stoptech Sport Brake Pads. I don't know if the pad material formula has changed.
Old May 9, 2016, 09:27 AM

thanks for all the help, upgrading in the next week or so
Old May 9, 2016, 09:30 AM

Best brakes for the Bucks

TBH I personally use Willwood racing brakes on all my vehicles the rather a little more on the pricey side but offer excellent performance in stopping and last very long