Notices

Plasti Dipped My Wheels! Pictures Inside!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plasti Dipped My Wheels! Pictures Inside!

The stock wheels on my car looked pretty terrible between the curb rash/scratches from the previous owner, and the sun faded finish on the wheels/center caps. So I decided that I would attempt Plasti Dip because I am cheap right now. I think that the outcome is actually pretty nice.

Before Plasti Dipping, I cleaned the wheels really well, hit them with scotch brite (because the wheel were scratched and faded anyway) and cleaned them again. I used red Plasti Dip on the caps then masked of the diamonds and hit them again with black to make the diamonds pop red. Then I used one entire can of black on each wheel to ensure that it was thick enough. As a final touch, I went over each wheel/center cap with a coat of Plasti Dip Metalizer which gives it a look that matches the paint on my car better than flat black. But that is just my opinion. I did this job with my wheels on the car still. I simply fed plastic shopping bags through the spokes and covered up the brake calipers and rotors. Then I obviously masked my car too with newspapers so that there was no overspray all over the car. Ideally, I would have taken the wheels off the car.

Last edited by 1999VR-4EVO; Nov 2, 2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:03 AM

Old Nov 7, 2016, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Looks good!
Let us know how it holds up over time.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 07:44 AM

Will do! My last attempt at this worked out great on my Lancer GTS. These are pictures of it 5 years after plasti dipping it. The plasti dip started to look "dull" after a couple years. But all I did to keep the black looking new was spray tire shine foam on it. Made it look like it was freshly sprayed!

Old Nov 8, 2016, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks sharp, Getting ready to try gold out on mine.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by DWILSON357
Looks sharp, Getting ready to try gold out on mine.
Thanks, it will probably come out great. If you leave the wheels on the car like I did, it is really easy to miss spots. What color is your car?
Old Nov 9, 2016, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Blue Sportback, I got my winters on now so at least I have 4 months to get my *** in gear and get it done lol
Old Nov 9, 2016, 05:50 AM

The gold will look really good with the blue. It took me about 4 hours including the masking of the Mitsubishi symbol on the caps.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Looks good. What Porsche are you hiding in the garage?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by TOralliart
Looks good. What Porsche are you hiding in the garage?

No Porches here, it is a 1999 3000GT VR-4, that thing is my dream car. I absolutely love it!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 09:10 AM

By the look on that Lancer GTS, it's not an issue, but i'd like to ask anyway...
How does the plastidip handle tyre swaps on the rim? Repaint, or just fine?

I'm thinking bright yellow rims on my red RA, for what ever reason, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. And i wont do it to the original rims, at least not to start with. The winter kit is rather chewed up, so it's a better starter, to see if i like it...

(Also, side question. Bright yellow, with black "interior" of the rim, or just yellow through and through?
I know yellow might not be everyone's first choice, but... If you had to pick one over the other?)
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by -=Mr B=-
By the look on that Lancer GTS, it's not an issue, but i'd like to ask anyway...
How does the plastidip handle tyre swaps on the rim? Repaint, or just fine?

I'm thinking bright yellow rims on my red RA, for what ever reason, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. And i wont do it to the original rims, at least not to start with. The winter kit is rather chewed up, so it's a better starter, to see if i like it...

(Also, side question. Bright yellow, with black "interior" of the rim, or just yellow through and through?
I know yellow might not be everyone's first choice, but... If you had to pick one over the other?)
Tire swaps depend on the place you go. The Big O tire ripped up the dip on my wheels to where as Discount caused hardly any damage. Odds are that you will have to touch them upup here and there.

As far as your other question, I like the black/yellow idea! Straight yellow might lool bland in my opinion.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:57 AM

I, we, got the equipment to put rubber on the rims, and balance the wheels, so a safe assumption is that i'll be doing it my self. I'm mostly concerned with the friction of the rubber against the plastidip, and if it would take it of the rim. But it sounds like a can of touch-up paint would be smart to have on hand. Just give any damages a touch before pumping the wheel so the rubber seats, should be simple enough. But the cans are sure to go bad before they are used up... Oh well. I am a cheapscate, i'll have to get over that.

The rims i'm thinking of giving a new shine, is something near identical, or actually identical to this:
(Not pretty, i know. If it turns out well, i might hunt down something that actually looks nice and do it all over again)

I'm thinking black, from the back of the rim, and up to the back of the spokes. So from the vantage point of someone looking a the car, the wheels would look all yellow up to where you can see the glued wheel-weight on this picture.
"Most" yellow and black themed spoked rims you see, have the spokes side faces, and the front face in different colors, with a very sharp transition between the faces. The rims i have don't quite lend them self to that design, and quite frankly, i wouldn't be able to mask, and paint it that way even if i wanted.
Painting them black inside is mostly to keep the breaks from crapping all over the yellow look at first braking.

Again, huge thank you for your info on the rim / plastidip combination and it's durability. I just might go for it.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by -=Mr B=-
I, we, got the equipment to put rubber on the rims, and balance the wheels, so a safe assumption is that i'll be doing it my self. I'm mostly concerned with the friction of the rubber against the plastidip, and if it would take it of the rim. But it sounds like a can of touch-up paint would be smart to have on hand. Just give any damages a touch before pumping the wheel so the rubber seats, should be simple enough. But the cans are sure to go bad before they are used up... Oh well. I am a cheapscate, i'll have to get over that.

The rims i'm thinking of giving a new shine, is something near identical, or actually identical to this:
(Not pretty, i know. If it turns out well, i might hunt down something that actually looks nice and do it all over again)

I'm thinking black, from the back of the rim, and up to the back of the spokes. So from the vantage point of someone looking a the car, the wheels would look all yellow up to where you can see the glued wheel-weight on this picture.
"Most" yellow and black themed spoked rims you see, have the spokes side faces, and the front face in different colors, with a very sharp transition between the faces. The rims i have don't quite lend them self to that design, and quite frankly, i wouldn't be able to mask, and paint it that way even if i wanted.
Painting them black inside is mostly to keep the breaks from crapping all over the yellow look at first braking.

Again, huge thank you for your info on the rim / plastidip combination and it's durability. I just might go for it.
No problem, just take your time and do it right. It will last for longer than people think. It isn't going to be as durable as powder coat, but still improves the look of the wheels at a reasonable cost. Good luck and post pictures when you are done!