Notices

Evo X turbo swap (base map discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X turbo swap (base map discussion)

I've started this thread to get input from all of you looking at (or have already done) an Evo X turbo swap in your Ralliart. I've been seeing the results and to say they are impressive would be an understatement.
It's something that I know a lot of us have considered at some point, I want this thread to summarise a some what baseline list of mods (aside from the obvious) that are required and potentially get a base map created for it.

I for one, live in an area where this kind of modification is still very immature and to have an OpenECU basemap would offer a tremendous leap of confidence in going ahead with such a change in my car.

So apart from what is listed in this thread, can we come to some kind of common ground that can get us off to a really good start for a base map? If we can stick to this rough format, it should make things easier.

Turbo: (New Evo X, Used Evo X, BBX Lite etc)
Wastegate Actuator: (Evo X stock, etc)
Boost pill: Yes or No
Downpipe: (Evo X O2 housing + 3" downpipe, O2/Downpipe combo etc)
Exhaust: (3", stock etc)
Intake:
FMIC:
IC Piping:
Battery adjustment: (Stock, Mini battery, Boot etc)
Installed already: Yes or No
AWHP:
AWTQ:

I'm sure there are other usuful elements that I've left behind so lets here them.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Griffin5
and potentially get a base map created for it.
What are you suggesting here?

If you have no tuner near you, and you want to mod your car, the obvious solution is that you need to start tinkering with your own tune. I am somewhat surprised that I have seen virtually no interest in the RA community exploring this area.

I do agree though. It would be great to have a thread that would discuss various tuning aspects related to the turbo swap. I hope this turns into something useful

Last edited by Piper747; Sep 25, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Piper747
I am somewhat surprised that I have seen virtually no interest in the RA community exploring this area.
I think its safe to say that 80-90% of owners who have a 09+ RA are not your hardcore modders/tuners. Most are still learning but 80-90% of X, 8's and 9's are were there at. Most threads go no where besides GST's threads only because its of a free map. I really do not expect to see a whole lot of disscusion on Maf scaling, fuel trims affect WOT, how to adjust timing to lessen knock, dtc disables....etc. All of that is in the X forums.

Sorry to go off topic. Just wanted to add my 2 cents!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

I believe ams has a base map for an X swap.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Piper747
What are you suggesting here?

If you have no tuner near you, and you want to mod your car, the obvious solution is that you need to start tinkering with your own tune. I am somewhat surprised that I have seen virtually no interest in the RA community exploring this area.

I do agree though. It would be great to have a thread that would discuss various tuning aspects related to the turbo swap. I hope this turns into something useful
agreed. once you have your wideband installed, you can tune to your hearts desire with evoscan and ecutune. buy an LC-1/lm-1 or UEGO for full evoscan compatibility.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

My intent for the thread was no so much to talk about the ins and outs of tuning (although I think it would be very useful to have one more specifically for the RA), but to summarize what combination of supporting mods people had, or were intending to add to their RA alongside the Evo X turbo.
I agree that we won't get the volume of people in the RA community tuning their own cars, but if a happy medium of mods could be established I thought a base map could be a good place for people to start.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

My intent for the thread was no so much to talk about the ins and outs of tuning (although I think it would be very useful to have one more specifically for the RA), but to summarize what combination of supporting mods people had, or were intending to add to their RA alongside the Evo X turbo.
I agree that we won't get the volume of people in the RA community tuning their own cars, but if a happy medium of mods could be established I thought a base map could be a good place for people to start.
ah.

i'd probably get the BBX Lite, 1000cc injectors, AMS fuel rail, ETS bottom mount manifold, ETS 3.5" FMIC, ETS LICP, 255LPH fuel pump, AMS transmission cooler, upgraded oil cooler, and Mishimoto evo x full aluminum rad.

i haven't researched where people start to experience valve float in these vehicles, but it's probably a good idea to get upgraded valves prings anyway. anyone who likes to rev these little engines to 7K would be better off getting them. while you're in there, might as well spring for the AMS cam cap and some upgraded cams like the GSC S1's.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:26 AM
Evolving Member

That's quite a hardcore list of mods wouldn't you say. Only necessary if you were planning on pushing the car hard on a regular basis. My list would look something like:
Turbo: BBX Lite
Wastegate Actuator: Included in BBX Lite
Boost pill: GST Motorsports
Downpipe: UR O2/Downpipe
Exhaust: UR high flow cat (metal) and cat back
Intake: Still looking into this one
FMIC: ETS 3" Evo X
IC Piping: T1R upper and lower
Battery adjustment: Prefer to keep it stock (depends on intake choice)
Installed already: No
AWHP: 315 goal
AWTQ: 295 goal
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

That's quite a hardcore list of mods wouldn't you say. Only necessary if you were planning on pushing the car hard on a regular basis. My list would look something like:
Turbo: BBX Lite
Wastegate Actuator: Included in BBX Lite
Boost pill: GST Motorsports
Downpipe: UR O2/Downpipe
Exhaust: UR high flow cat (metal) and cat back
Intake: Still looking into this one
FMIC: ETS 3" Evo X
IC Piping: T1R upper and lower
Battery adjustment: Prefer to keep it stock (depends on intake choice)
Installed already: No
AWHP: 315 goal
AWTQ: 295 goal
If you want to keep the battery stock, I think you can throw in a cobb or ets intake when you upgrade to a X swap.

I would go for the bbx lite as well. Byan is gaining some excellent results. Can't wait to see his E 85 numbers.

I think if you go ETS for a fmic, you should also get there piping. They can work out some good package deals.

My mods are pretty basic:

Ams Intake
Ams single catback
Ams testpipe
Ams boost pill
UR uipc and licp
EvoX stock fmic and metal bpv.

I plan to upgrade to a X swap or throw in a bbx lite next year along with bigger injectors and a pump running E 85.

What about handling mods? Lowering springs, coilovers, sway bars, h brace....
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mikesim
ah.

i'd probably get the BBX Lite, 1000cc injectors, AMS fuel rail, ETS bottom mount manifold, ETS 3.5" FMIC, ETS LICP, 255LPH fuel pump, AMS transmission cooler, upgraded oil cooler, and Mishimoto evo x full aluminum rad.

i haven't researched where people start to experience valve float in these vehicles, but it's probably a good idea to get upgraded valves prings anyway. anyone who likes to rev these little engines to 7K would be better off getting them. while you're in there, might as well spring for the AMS cam cap and some upgraded cams like the GSC S1's.
We can rev to 7800 stock...i think, at least that's were my rev limit is set. I did not set it lol I was wondering if that's spinning to high?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

I think 6800 I stock, 7100 with Bryan's base map. My ETS FMIC and T1R pipes are just waiting to be installed. I'll look into the ETS intake, although was curious about the DIY option on another thread here (uses an EVO X pipe part with cone filter).
Any current turbo swapped guys care to chime in. What works, what doesn't?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:22 AM
Account Disabled

Just FYI 4B11 Evo 10 rev limit is 7600 from the factory. It's higher because it has a larger turbo.

- Bryan
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GST Motorsports
Just FYI 4B11 Evo 10 rev limit is 7600 from the factory. It's higher because it has a larger turbo.

- Bryan
Thanks Bryan, yep the 6800 stock/ 7100 GST map was in reference to the RA OEM turbo.
Can I ask you: is your AEM intake an evo x model or a RA model that has been modified in some way to fit the BBX Lite turbo?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:18 PM

Evo Turbo swap help needed

I could use some help with my EVO X turbo swap. After swap the vehicle is making less power than the tuned Ralliart turbo with the mods below - 200 HP vs. the 252 with the Ralliart turbo.. Does anyone have the MIVEC map that works for the EVO turbo? Any one with experience with installing an intake on the Ralliart after turbo swap? Evo intake or Ralliart spec'd intake?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt the mivec is your main concern. It would be useful to see your rom. If you tuned it yourself that is. Otherwise, you should talk to the tuner.

Quick Reply: Evo X turbo swap (base map discussion)