Notices

Battery Bracket Preview

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery Bracket Preview

UPDATE: PAGE 6

So I had been getting a few pm's about a small battery bracket I've been working to make for my RA (and maybe to sell to others if there's interest). As soon as this bracket is done, I'm doing an Evo X turbo swap, which I've been getting pm's about as well.

I've always wanted a different small battery placement, but Bryan@GST was the one who suggested the idea of mounting it by the ECU bracket.

So I took the initiative to give this a try. My tuner (jTran Studios) and I are building a model right now. People keep pm'ing me and I hate that it's taking longer than expected, but here's why.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../batt_tray.jpg

The ECU bracket has grooves along the bottom. If you open up your hood, you'll notice that it's not just a square piece of metal, so we can't/didn't want to just hack together a bar to hold a battery. We wanted perfect fitment, so I ordered another bracket and small battery for the drafter to have for reference. This is what he had to send me so far. I have word that they'll start making it within the next week.

So some might wonder, what's the point of this?

I don't like the current direction that the Ralliart market is taking. With the whole appeal of having Evo X hardware, why aren't we shopping in Evo X parts catalog? Isn't the whole reason you bought a Ralliart the similar hardware to an X? I think after an Evo X turbo swap (something I think every RA owner should do) and RA-specific CBE, everything else should be an Evo X part.

The biggest problems with Evo X -> RA fitment are the LICP and Intake; both of these caused by the stock battery and it's location. If you look on an X, the battery terminal is right next to the ECU. A small battery will probably take the same amount of space, so once this is done, ANY Evo X part will fit. To emphasize this point, my turbo swap will be done with all OEM Evo X parts - and from then on I will be treating my RA as an Evo X.

Ralliarts should be attaching to the Evo X aftermarket, not branching away from it. I'm not surprised the RA aftermarket is small - why should anyone spend R&D money to make different parts for the same engine, for a smaller market than the Evo X? You paid high dollar for 4b11t, treat it like one!

Last edited by Exyia; Sep 3, 2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks good. Do like.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
AWESOME! Finally somebody making one.

Are you sure the battery isn't too tall when it's place on it's side like that? Hood still close?

Either way, I'll be first in line for this!!!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
AWESOME! Finally somebody making one.

Are you sure the battery isn't too tall when it's place on it's side like that? Hood still close?

Either way, I'll be first in line for this!!!
I left him an ECU bracket (grabbed from work here at the dealership) and an extra small battery for reference, so he's not just building this from pictures. And when we were gauging how it would fit, it will sit under the strut bar. Since it will clear the strut bar, I'm sure the hood will still close

and I'll keep you updated Bryan. I'll be sending you one of the first after it's made - I thought this would be more meaningful than just another cash donation to your paypal
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Exyia
I left him an ECU bracket (grabbed from work here at the dealership) and an extra small battery for reference, so he's not just building this from pictures. And when we were gauging how it would fit, it will sit under the strut bar. Since it will clear the strut bar, I'm sure the hood will still close

and I'll keep you updated Bryan. I'll be sending you one of the first after it's made - I thought this would be more meaningful than just another cash donation to your paypal

Awesome, can't wait.

I'll finally be able to put the AEM airbox on. Just in time for summer!
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Awesome, can't wait.

I'll finally be able to put the AEM airbox on. Just in time for summer!
Yeah I'm really liking the design of the boxed intake + snorkel the more I look at it because of how the snorkel makes it a relatively effective CAI. Hell the FQ400 still uses the stock box with a drop-in

and to add, if you look at an X engine bay - the positive terminal takes up about the same width as what a small battery probably would when mounted next to that ECU bracket. I don't expect fitment problems

I've been waiting on this bracket for my X turbo swap to happen for soooo long
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Looks real good very interested what battery did you use for a reference for building this?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

this is great, i wanted to figure out how to take care of the battery issue without relocating to the trunk. my only concern is are these small batteries good enough to handle single digit temperatures and other harsh conditions?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Exyia
So I had been getting a few pm's about a small battery bracket I've been working to make for my RA (and maybe to sell to others if there's interest). As soon as this bracket is done, I'm doing an Evo X turbo swap, which I've been getting pm's about as well.

I've always wanted a different small battery placement, but Bryan@GST was the one who suggested the idea of mounting it by the ECU bracket.

So I took the initiative to give this a try. My tuner (jTran Studios) and I are building a model right now. People keep pm'ing me and I hate that it's taking longer than expected, but here's why.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2.../batt_tray.jpg

The ECU bracket has grooves along the bottom. If you open up your hood, you'll notice that it's not just a square piece of metal, so we can't/didn't want to just hack together a bar to hold a battery. We wanted perfect fitment, so I ordered another bracket and small battery for the drafter to have for reference. This is what he had to send me so far. I have word that they'll start making it within the next week.

So some might wonder, what's the point of this?

I don't like the current direction that the Ralliart market is taking. With the whole appeal of having Evo X hardware, why aren't we shopping in Evo X parts catalog? Isn't the whole reason you bought a Ralliart the similar hardware to an X? I think after an Evo X turbo swap (something I think every RA owner should do) and RA-specific CBE, everything else should be an Evo X part.

The biggest problems with Evo X -> RA fitment are the LICP and Intake; both of these caused by the stock battery and it's location. If you look on an X, the battery terminal is right next to the ECU. A small battery will probably take the same amount of space, so once this is done, ANY Evo X part will fit. To emphasize this point, my turbo swap will be done with all OEM Evo X parts - and from then on I will be treating my RA as an Evo X.

Ralliarts should be attaching to the Evo X aftermarket, not branching away from it. I'm not surprised the RA aftermarket is small - why should anyone spend R&D money to make different parts for the same engine, for a smaller market than the Evo X? You paid high dollar for 4b11t, treat it like one!
I wanted to add that if you are looking for a small battery with more than the 280cca that most batteries this size have look at the Braille b2015 since it's rated at 425cca and is about the same size as the pc680.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

looks great, i've been looking at doing this myself too, kinda weird how not a single vendor has jumped onto making this type of mount for the battery
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in the same boat as you, Exyia. I'm hesitating on my X swap until a viable battery solution is available and your bracket sounds promising. I'd definitely be interested in one whenever they become available.

On that note, I've looked at incorporating a Braille battery mount by the ECU but in the end it didn't seem cost efficient. And I'm just as annoyed at the grooves located at the bottom of the ECU bracket. Seems like something could be crafted with less trouble if the bottom of that bracket was flat.

Last edited by omegis; Apr 26, 2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

I'm using an AMS Small Battery for reference, but both of the ones I got don't have any AMS branding on it. There's really nothing "AMS" about them - they're just a small battery that I think you can get at any battery store. (will probably be cheaper too)

Next time I see it, I'll see if I can get specs (or AMS can chime in on what kind of battery it is).

and for anybody thinking "I don't want to spend $200 on just a battery mod that doesn't add any power" - you have a fresh car battery that you can sell on craigslist. It won't be as expensive as you think, and it's more of an investment to setup your Ralliart for 100% Evo X compatibility - something you guys will see when my turbo swap is done with ALL OEM Evo X parts. I will never have to open a tiny Ralliart part catalog anymore - I get to browse through pages and pages of Evo X options

Last edited by Exyia; Apr 26, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Genesis 16EP

Specs:
http://www.enersysreservepower.com/d...S-001_0406.pdf

Last edited by omegis; Apr 26, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:13 PM
EvoM Guru

The Genesis is what I have been using, and have been using for the last 6 years.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

google search is kinda vague, but it seems like this Genesis 16EP is around $150 in cost

don't normal new car batteries go for around $130 new? I imagine you could sell your old one off craigslist for somewhere in the $80 range for a quick buck (maybe more if you just bought an RA recently), which makes this battery and bracket upgrade pretty low in overall cost.

I have no idea how much this bracket will cost right now if I decide to sell them, but it seems like people are interested. I'm more interested in allowing the RA market/community to grow (via attachment to Evo X aftermarket), so I'd only be interested in selling these at a cost to cover parts/research/development really.

and jTran Studios isn't a vendor here on evom.net, and admins are pretty picky about that

Quick Reply: Battery Bracket Preview