Notices

09 RA engine noise ??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to recheck all the hoses, I recommend putting some hair spray or gel on the pipe, then slide the coupler on. When the spray/gel dries, it is like cement and really reduces the chance of boost leak. Best way to check is by logging and see if you are not hitting target boost.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TurtleRA
If you are going to recheck all the hoses, I recommend putting some hair spray or gel on the pipe, then slide the coupler on. When the spray/gel dries, it is like cement and really reduces the chance of boost leak. Best way to check is by logging and see if you are not hitting target boost.
Do you reakon it's a boost leak based on that? My turbo's to young to die
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

From the video it is hard to tell, I can hear it a bit. When I did my evo FMIC with the stock ralliart LICP, I forgot about the dimple, so I had a huge boost leak. And I can tell you, it was really loud, sounded like a train. So if you have just a mild leak, I assume it might sound like what you have. If you are going to redo the piping, its a good idea to use some hairspray just to give another line of defense to leaking.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:45 PM

Update to engine noise

Originally Posted by JustGetTheGun
Brought my 10 RA into the dealer a few weeks ago for oil and trans oil change. They found that the trans was leaking and they heard a knocking sound coming from the oil pan. Had me come back the following week so they could fix trans issue and look into knocking sound. I could not hear the knocking sound unless I had my car in the garage, running with the window down. Can't hear it at all when driving. Took my RA back this past monday. Dealer told me they had to have Mitsu rep look at car before they could open up the oil pan and needed my proof of all past oil changes (thankfully I keep all of those records). Also, apparently the ECU keeps a log of your high rev's. They told me mine got to 6900 and that is was near the boarder of them not covering anything under warranty but that the Mitsu rep wasn't concerned about it and didn't make a big deal about it.
Anyway, (sorry for the long story) I called the dealer back today to get an update and he said that they know something is wrong and the Mitsu rep agrees they just aren't sure what it is. They may need to replace the engine. Seems pretty crazy to me since I never heard anything or felt anything out of the ordinary. Thankfully it's covered under warranty.
I'm not trying to scare anyone with this, just hope this helps make people aware that those noises could be something bad. I'll update when I find out more from the dealer.
So, I finally got my RA back from the dealer today after it spent the past 3 weeks with them. The problem ended up being the front cam shaft cap was split causing the cam's to shake around. They ended up replacing pretty much the entire engine.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

nice! glad that your wqit is over. time to enjoy the car!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's this sound like goes Away in drive
Old Jun 24, 2013, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Not to revive a zombie thread, but I see nobody answered your concerns about the sounds in your two videos.

The lower-pitched, irregular clunking noises you're hearing is clutch chatter. Mine sounds exactly the same when I'm parked but disappears when in gear.

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:38 AM

Unhappy Annoying noise

I also have the ticking noise and the sst noises and I'm not worried about them. What does bother me is an extremely loud rattling noise coming from the turbo area. I am getting more and more confused as I thought it was the heat shield but I checked it everywhere and it doesn't seem to be it. The rattle started off as just a slight noise when starting up in first gear at around 1500 to 2000 rpm. it has progressed to a rattle that is very slight at idle, and is very loud and obnoxious anywhere above 2000 rpm, at boost. The only way to get rid of it is to drown it out with my exhaust. Also, with the a/c on full blast the rattle is much less, and when i have the wheel turned all the way the rattle is louder. Any ideas? Sick of embarrassing myself.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:41 AM

thx

love this thread
Old Sep 22, 2015, 10:54 AM

shysh, i tought mine has some sort of problems