Notices

Strange Engine Noise.. need some help diagnosing

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 04:32 PM
AMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Strange Engine Noise.. need some help diagnosing

Edit: Mitsubishi has said that this noise is in fact normal. Text below kept for reference.

I realize flashing the ECU carried this risk, I just need advice on what to do next. Car is 100% stock apart from Boost Pill upgrade / ECU flash.

As soon as I had bought my Tactrix cable, I flashed my USDM 2011 Ralliart using the 2011 USDM/CADM - 91 oct - StockPill - v2.5 Map Rom found here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...t-basemap.html

Car was running great, could feel boost in performance & there was even a slight increase in MPG due to the tune to 91 octane (93 isn't available in SoCal).

Then a few weeks later I bought the GST Boost Pill: http://www.gstmotorsports.com/store/...oducts_id=1050

Installed it and flashed using the 2011 USDM/CADM - 91 oct - Boost Pill Upgrade - v2.5 Map Rom found at the same EvoM forum link above.

Before driving out, I checked to see everything started OK, but noticed that the engine was making noises I didn't remember it had before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhg_5BV1Ko4

The car ran OK, though. MPG was consistant, there was further increase in performance, so I thought nothing of it.

I had to get an interior panel replaced today, so figured I'd have them see if that engine noise was normal while they were at it.

The South Coast Mitsubishi dealer mechanic says that it's not normal, and now they need to contact Mitsubishi tomorrow to get the warranty authorization to look into it further.

They want to keep the car overnight, but I'm thinking it would be a better idea for me to take the car, put the stock pill back in, reflash to stock, and then drop it off again tomorrow so I don't get my warranty voided.

Something tells me they would still be able to notice that the ECU has been flashed, though. But they may also not care that I modded my car in the first place as South Coast Mitsubishi has been known to sell extremely modified cars before. Would I be able to ask them about their policy on this without them instantly voiding my warranty? Is anyone familier with South Coast Mitsubishi and modding?

As far as I know, there is no error on my end flashing the ECU using the maps GST provided (was careful to download correct map, flash correctly, etc).

Any suggestions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated! Do not want to have to pay out of pocket for engine repair if I don't have to.

Last edited by AMT; May 10, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 04:46 PM

That sounds very strange there mate, however i dont think it would of been GSTs tune that would of caused it. There are many people that are running Bryans tune without any issues.

Well keep us updated on the progress.
Old May 9, 2011, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Flash it back to stock, South Coast do warranty work on your car, and delete this thread so they don't see it as they are a vendor on here.
Old May 9, 2011, 04:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by AMT

Car was running great, could feel boost in performance & there was even a slight increase in MPG due to the tune to 91 octane (93 isn't available in SoCal).

Then a few weeks later I bought the GST Boost Pill: http://www.gstmotorsports.com/store/...oducts_id=1050

Installed it and flashed using the 2011 USDM/CADM - 91 oct - Boost Pill Upgrade - v2.5 Map Rom found at the same EvoM forum link above.

Before driving out, I checked to see everything started OK, but noticed that the engine was making noises I didn't remember it had before:
So you installed the boost pill, flashed the new Boost Pill ROM and started the car and all of a sudden it started making that noise (which it didn't make before right?) before you even drove the car out of your driveway?
Old May 9, 2011, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my car kinda makes the same noise...but everything is fine its running like a champ. I have the GST v2 map and pill. If Mitsu actually finds something wrong let me know.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like an install issue to me. Did you double check everything, including hose, clamp, and pill location/orientation?

btw, Mistu can see that you've flashed, even if you flash back, so I wouldn't bother wasting your time on that one.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i installed mine perfectly. his noise is much louder than mine though...mine is faint. I actually took it to the dealer and they said its normal (this was a long time ago). Again..mine isnt as prominent as his rattle noise. Did you take off your engine cover? maybe that is rattling around on the top a bit?
Old May 9, 2011, 05:07 PM
AMT

Originally Posted by razorlab
So you installed the boost pill, flashed the new Boost Pill ROM and started the car and all of a sudden it started making that noise (which it didn't make before right?) before you even drove the car out of your driveway?
It was most likely making it before I installed the boost pill, but I only noticed it the first time I started up the car after installing the Boost Pill / Boost Pill ROM. It's highly unlikely this noise was caused by the Boost Pill / Boost Pill ROM (unless it caused that much damage in the few seconds it took to walk from drivers seat to the engine).

Last edited by AMT; May 9, 2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

IDK, something seems weird about that. I'd guess either something is loose or that's rod knock but the car shouldn't have any knock with it being so new. That sound is annoying me though b/c I really don't think it's related to the basemap but I can't put my finger on what it is.

Like chi-town said, double check everything. I'd even put the stock pill in and reflash to stock to see if that fixes the sound, and if it doesn't, that furthers my thoughts on the theory something has got to be loose in your engine compartment.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by AMT
It was most likely making it before I installed the boost pill, but I only noticed it the first time I started up the car after installing the boost pill / Boost Pill reflash. It's highly unlikely this noise was caused by the Boost Pill / Boost Pill flash (unless it caused that much damage in the few seconds it took to walk from drivers seat to the engine).
Can you walk through how you installed the boost pill. Did you do anything else in the engine bay as well?

Also, does that noise get less/go away if you put the car in drive and let it move on it's own accord (no throttle by you).
Old May 9, 2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by AMT
I'm pretty sure they will still be able to see the ECU was flashed (stock or otherwise). Anyone know for sure? If they

It was most likely making it before I installed the boost pill, but I only noticed it the first time I started up the car after installing the boost pill / Boost Pill reflash. It's highly unlikely this noise was caused by the Boost Pill / Boost Pill flash (unless it caused that much damage in the few seconds it took to walk from drivers seat to the engine).
I doubt it very much mate. I think it might be a good idea to change the thread tittle until you know 100% it was caused by Bryans tune.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:28 PM
AMT

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Sounds like an install issue to me. Did you double check everything, including hose, clamp, and pill location/orientation?

btw, Mistu can see that you've flashed, even if you flash back, so I wouldn't bother wasting your time on that one.
I don't think this was caused by the Boost Pill or the Boost Pill ROM. And I spent quite a bit of time to make sure the pill was secure in the right place and that the clamps were tight. I installed the boost pill a week ago & the car is still running OK apart from the noise (hoses / pill haven't budged, turbo works great, etc).

And I figured they'd be able to notice. The only reason they haven't asked Mitsu Corporate for warranty repair today is because they were closed. I would think they may have already checked for obvious things that would void warranty like ECU flash. I may be in the clear on this one.

Originally Posted by hixlancer
i installed mine perfectly. his noise is much louder than mine though...mine is faint. I actually took it to the dealer and they said its normal (this was a long time ago). Again..mine isnt as prominent as his rattle noise. Did you take off your engine cover? maybe that is rattling around on the top a bit?
Yes, I checked to make sure it wasn't anything obvious rattling. It definitely sounds like a part of the interior of the engine.

Originally Posted by razorlab
Can you walk through how you installed the boost pill. Did you do anything else in the engine bay as well?

Also, does that noise get less/go away if you put the car in drive and let it move on it's own accord (no throttle by you).
I don't think this was caused by the Boost Pill or Boost Pill map. I noticed the noise immediately after I started the car for the first time after installing the boost pill and reflashing with boost pill map.

I can't check to see if noise goes away in that condition as the car is at the dealer, but I can tell you the noise frequency increases when engine is revved.

Originally Posted by omegis
IDK, something seems weird about that. I'd guess either something is loose or that's rod knock but the car shouldn't have any knock with it being so new. That sound is annoying me though b/c I really don't think it's related to the basemap but I can't put my finger on what it is.

Like chi-town said, double check everything. I'd even put the stock pill in and reflash to stock to see if that fixes the sound, and if it doesn't, that furthers my thoughts on the theory something has got to be loose in your engine compartment.
I had flashed to stock with boost pill in and ran the engine @ idle to see if the noise went away, it did not. Before anyone freaks out about this note I did NOT rev the engine or drive the car around until I re-flashed back to the Boost Pill map.

To reiterate:
I don't think this is an issue with Boost Pill / Boost Pill map, I'm worried the GST Stock Pill map caused the damage as I was running that for about a month prior to upgrading to the Boost Pill / Boost Pill map.

Last edited by AMT; May 9, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AMT
I would think they may have already checked for obvious things that would void warranty like ECU flash. I may be in the clear on this one.
No matter how good the local dealer is - Mitsu require them to check for a flash.
Old May 9, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ralliartblitz
No matter how good the local dealer is - Mitsu require them to check for a flash.
...although that may just involve comparing ROM ID (and possibly a ROM checksum) against their records of what "should" be there...

Edit: In which case, the ECU would appear 100% as nature intended.

Rich
Old May 9, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

are we listening to the tick or the rattle?

Quick Reply: Strange Engine Noise.. need some help diagnosing