Notices

Ur short ram install question

Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ur short ram install question

hey guys im new to the RA game so hi to all of you well i just bought my 2010 ralliart last week and already ordered the UR short ram intake for it but ive been seeing some threads on how you have to tune it before you put the intake on. will it hurt the car if i put the intake on without a tune.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 04:11 AM

It shouldnt, the standard computers are feedback. so if it sees more air it give more fuel, and if it pings it will back it off. it will effect fuel trims, but this will not hurt the car...
Old Apr 14, 2010, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

what do you all need to do the evo x turbo swap
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by andrewRA
hey guys im new to the RA game so hi to all of you well i just bought my 2010 ralliart last week and already ordered the UR short ram intake for it but ive been seeing some threads on how you have to tune it before you put the intake on. will it hurt the car if i put the intake on without a tune.
Search button! Been discussed so many times. This thread will sum it up for u

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ms-intake.html

what do you all need to do the evo x turbo swap
Search button! I'm feeling like a nice guy today so here ya go

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...arts-list.html
Old Apr 15, 2010, 01:50 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Swinkndan
It shouldnt, the standard computers are feedback. so if it sees more air it give more fuel, and if it pings it will back it off. it will effect fuel trims, but this will not hurt the car...

clearly you have no idea what you are talking about, thus dont reply to these questions anymore please... unless you enjoy helping people blow up their cars.

Yes u need to tune the UR intake, i have it, and it is a REQUIREMENT. The maf housing is larger which when co mingled with the addition of new air being sucked in, the car requires a tune to properly manage the new parameters.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Wow good thing I haven't put it on yet what tune did u go with and will the Cobb work with it
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Wow good thing I haven't put it on yet what tune did u go with and will the Cobb work with it
Did ya not read the link I posted?? It said like 100 times don't install the intake without a tune. The Cobb AP doesn't have a map yet for an intake. Secondchace got a custom tune at his local tuner, Light Speed Inovations I believe. Your best bet is to either 1) go to a tuner in your area and get a custom tune which will yield a bit more power 2) buy a tactrix cable or send in your ecu and get a mail-in flash from a company like AMS, RRE, GST, etc
Old Apr 16, 2010, 04:54 AM

hi, just a mechanic not a tuner. From courses and other info iv been led to believe that a feedback computer on closed loop should measure the exhaust gas, inlet etc etc etc etc... to create the output (mixture/timing etc etc etc...) that the map requests at that point? why is this not true? (not hasseling - just forever learning)
Old Apr 16, 2010, 05:00 AM

ah, i just read your post again, the MAF sensor housing is bigger (as in a bigger tube yeah?)
So it should be ok if the same sensor housing size/flow was used, ?
Old Apr 16, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
basically, yeah. the larger tube allows more air to pass around the hot-wire style maf without being accounted for, which leans the mixture A LOT more than it should be.

on the other end of the spectrum, people have found that just switching to the evo x maf adapter tube (which is the same diameter as the ra) and replacing the airbox with a cone filter will yield decent results without leaning the mixture too much. a proper a/f reading is needed to confirm the safety of this on each specific car, but the overall results have been positive without too much compromise in safety.

either way, a tune is going to yield way better results anyways, so may as well just get it done
Old May 11, 2010, 03:30 PM

Hey, so I had the UR Intake installed and it DOES need a tune. After about 400 miles my ECU light came up telling me I was Lean. Make sure you have a tune!!! After the light came on I took of the intake and installed a drop in.. It was WAY better performance with the drop in vs UR CAI.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 01:24 AM

been running the UR short ram intake for over a year with no problems. the only thing i have notices is now that i have a full TBE my car is running rich, idk the exact AFR but my tail pipe tips have to be cleaned off ever now and again as well as i get a few backfires but never any CEL lights, stalls, hard starts, ect ect. the only tune i have is the 2010 GST Boost pill 93oct map.

Last edited by Egal44ARock; Dec 31, 2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: type o