Notices

AWD PUMP Low Pressure

Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWD PUMP Low Pressure

So I recently got the Service Required Light (AWD Warning) on a 2009 Ralliart . I went to the dealership and here is the diagnostic:

36225 Scanned and found C161F AWC actuator protection 1, C161E AWD pump.

Performed can bus check - can bus OK.

Check AWC relay – relay OK

Performed visually inspection on AWC pump and components – all ok.

Inspected connectors – connectors ok.

Check AWD fluid – fluid ok.

Performed AWC pressure output checked – pressure output at 40 PSI – Spec is 145 – require AWC pump.

The warning light seems to come on when it's hot outside or when I have driven the car for a few minutes.

Do I have to replace the AWC pump ($1620) or can I rebuild it?

Also.. both rear diff are leaking so I need to replace diff seals ($370) and replace diff fuild ($160).

The car only has 36,000 Km on it but it's out of warranty because of time (5 years).. Any advice?

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2014, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
look up the rebuild instruction threads . Rebuild kits are on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-EVO-X-ACD-AYC-pump-rebuild-kit-/321437244373?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad7271bd5&vxp=mtr
Old Jul 5, 2014, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You won't know if you can rebuild it until you open it up.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 02:47 PM

Anyone know a good DIY to "remove" the pump.. (not repair - that video is everywhere).. I know it should be easy.. but I can't seems to find any instructions except to remove some bolts and remove the tire.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

If I were you, I would send it to get it rebuilt. In that way, it's done properly. I did try to rebuild mine but the corrosion was so bad and couldn't even get the pump to open. Ended up destroying the solenoid.

Unless you have very high mechanical skill level, then do it. You can buy the kit on ebay.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:00 PM

The dealership quoted my $1000 for the pump and $600 for installation. The installation charge seems excessive since from what I have read.. it takes about 1-2 hours.

Additionally, my rear diff is leaking.. dealership want $370 for labor and seals.
The will also charge $165 for rear diff fluid change.

I am think of trying to rebuild pump myself and If I failed .. get a new pump and install it myself. I am think of leaving the rear diff to the dealership since I don't have a lift. Anyone want to give advice of what I can do myself vs let the dealership do?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

$1000 for a new pump, regardless of which currency, is a very good price. New or rebuilt?

$600 for installation is crazy high, but $1600 for a new pump incl labor is still good.

Tough call.

$165 for both rear fluids is typical, but this is also the easiest job to do yourself, even without a lift.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:04 PM

$1000 CDN (about 950 USD) is for a new pump.

I guess... I will do the pump.

The fluid and diff seal will probably done at the same time.. so I might have to eat that..
Old Jul 9, 2014, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bleeding the pump is annoying. It takes two people.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:30 PM

Wouldn't the dealer have to change the fluid anyway if they would be installing a new pump? Why the extra charge?
This started happening to my 09 Ralliart as well about 4 months ago. The car has only 22,000 miles on it. In the research I have done, it appears that this is a very common problem with these. Not sure what I will do yet, but this should be a recall in my opinion.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scafel19
Wouldn't the dealer have to change the fluid anyway if they would be installing a new pump?
Nope. The two fluids in the diff are completely separate from the fluid in the pump. You can replace the fluid in the diff without touching the fluid in the pump. You can replace the pump without touching the fluids in the diff.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 08:45 AM

Not sure if anybody has seen this, but found these posts about filing a complaint about this pump to make this a recall. Please take the time to fill and and pass it along.

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/sho...=58221&page=19
Old Jul 11, 2014, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Govt recalls are for safety issues (only). This is a reliability issue.

Mitsu should do a voluntary recall/TSB funded repair though - for consumer image reasons!

What?! Did they learn from GM how to stiff-arm reliability issues?!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 02:29 PM

Status Update:

I removed the awd pump from the car.. I tried opening it but damaged the pump it in the process - It was super corroded and I used too much force to open it.

So I negotiated with the dealership and got the pump for around $930 CDN ($900 USD), it will be here about the end of the week.

1. What is a better a replacement ACD fluid better then oem?

2. The dealership said I need special equipment to do the bleeding (MTU3? just like the EVO) but I want to try to do the bleeding myself if possible (I heard it is easier with 2 people). Any one got detailed instructions for DIY (video/picture would be best), I tried to find a good DIY but can't find any for the ralliart x.

3. The people at the dealership said the corrosion will likely happened again.. so I am thinking of encasing the new pump with silicon and putty to prevent water/salt from getting it again.

4. I will likely go to the dealership and do rear diff leak.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jadeboy
1. What is a better a replacement ACD fluid better then oem?
None that I know of. And no fluid is going to stop galvanic corrosion, anyway.

2. The dealership said I need special equipment to do the bleeding (MTU3? just like the EVO) but I want to try to do the bleeding myself if possible (I heard it is easier with 2 people). Any one got detailed instructions for DIY (video/picture would be best), I tried to find a good DIY but can't find any for the ralliart x.
Can't help you here. I went and got a tester box.

3. The people at the dealership said the corrosion will likely happened again.. so I am thinking of encasing the new pump with silicon and putty to prevent water/salt from getting it again.
I can't find the link, but the suggestion is silicone then a layer of marine grease on top. The alternative is painting after the silicone. The alternative alternative is relocation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AWD PUMP Low Pressure