Notices

downpipe leak

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
downpipe leak

hey guys, i'm new at this so please bear with me.

I just installed a WORKS down-pipe along with a AMS high flow cat on my 2011 ralliart to go with the WORKS cat back i had.
The original hanging place for the cat could not be used with the new cat because the whole pipe was kinda reroute a little too far to the right (under the hanger). So only the spring bolt on the down-pipe and one hanger in the back of the car are actually holding the whole shebang in place.
I drove more than 350 miles to find out the down-pipe was starting to leak (exhaust smell in the cockpitt, unusual heat coming from the engine compartment etc...)
I brought it to a shop where they replaced the seal ring where the down-pipe holds, saying i fried the last one.
Right after they where done, I picked the car up and still the same thing with the new ring on.
i tried to tighten it but it didn't stop the leak.
Do you guys think i should find a way to hold the cat and some of the weight and try to reseat the down-pipe or go straight with applying so high heat silicone on that sucker?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 08:24 AM

same here, i got ams hfc and it is off to the right and leaking between the down pipe and cat, but i didn't smell anything. i guess it is because the AMS high flow cat is designed for EVO but not for RA. someone said put two gaskets between the downpipe and cat will stop the leaking. i am going to try that. and for the reroute, i just simply adjust the bolts, nuts and move the pipe little bit to the left. as long as it not hitting chassis. you will be fine.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This what i used on my Evo downpipe leak at the flange to the cat. Worked wonders!

http://catalog.remflex.com/

Remflex exhaust gaskets come in a standard 1/8-inch thickness and are designed to crush 50%. This allows them to fill gaps in the flange surface up to 1/16-inch. 100% flexible graphite construction means Remflex gaskets are good for up to 3,000 degrees F far exceeding that of any vehicle's exhaust system temperature. Remflex exhaust gaskets rebound 30%, creating an optimum seal that eliminates the need to re-torque. Remflex's unique flexible graphite material has been proven for more than 30 years in industrial applications, where temperatures routinely exceed 2,000 degrees day after day, week after week, year after year. Now, this technology is available to enthusiasts of all kinds to eliminate exhaust leaks for good.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

To those with an exhaust leak, do you keep track of your air fuel ratio under WOT? Just curious what type of readings you would expect with a downpipe leak.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:38 PM

I did not track the AFR cause i don't have a gauge or something, just heard weird sound and saw the RPM found out it is leaking
Old Dec 8, 2014, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by ak47po
This what i used on my Evo downpipe leak at the flange to the cat. Worked wonders!

http://catalog.remflex.com/

Remflex exhaust gaskets come in a standard 1/8-inch thickness and are designed to crush 50%. This allows them to fill gaps in the flange surface up to 1/16-inch. 100% flexible graphite construction means Remflex gaskets are good for up to 3,000 degrees F far exceeding that of any vehicle's exhaust system temperature. Remflex exhaust gaskets rebound 30%, creating an optimum seal that eliminates the need to re-torque. Remflex's unique flexible graphite material has been proven for more than 30 years in industrial applications, where temperatures routinely exceed 2,000 degrees day after day, week after week, year after year. Now, this technology is available to enthusiasts of all kinds to eliminate exhaust leaks for good.
Is the RF8006 the correct part number? I might order 2 of these now on Amazon...

My downpipe flange is warped too with 87K, I have been hunting a new downpipe, but this is cheaper than $120. by a long shot!!
Old Dec 8, 2014, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ That is for a 3 inch exhaust...don't know what you need?