Notices

Trouble with Sport Mode

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with Sport Mode

Hello, changed to sport mode/automatic this morning, and the gears dont shift until 4000rpm, this can't be normal right? Will an oil change fix this?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That's normal for automatic shifting...
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Raikiri
That's normal for automatic shifting...

Are you sure, because in 2nd gear it doesnīt shift until a Little over 4000rpm when I drive normal, not going wot. I havnīt experienced this before when I have driven in sport mode.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

You're in Sport mode and not manually shifting it or using the paddles? Yeah it's normal like that for Sport. Go back to Normal and it'll shift lower like a normal car.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Raikiri
You're in Sport mode and not manually shifting it or using the paddles? Yeah it's normal like that for Sport. Go back to Normal and it'll shift lower like a normal car.
Yeah, automatic. Allright, I thought something had happened to the gear box, as I can't recall it has been like that before on sport mode. Thank's for the info!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
'Sport Mode' is to keep the engine at an RPM where the turbo is spooling (for racing). It is shifting to keep the minimum RPMs above 3K.

'Normal Mode" is for economy. It will let the engine lug at less than 1200 RPM [rolls eyes].

Either mode is too extreme for DD (for me). This is why I use Sport/manual. I keep the RPMs at or above 2K.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 07:20 AM

I was talking to Moore Automotive yesterday, and they said that with the sst. It is safer to use sport mode/manual, to help stop all the ware from the clutch slippage. Normal mode slips way to much. The smoother the shifts the more slip.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

I mostly prefer sport/manual unless I'm feeling really lazy lol
Old Apr 15, 2015, 08:42 AM

Sport mode supports higher shift point, and sport sharp even higher (redline).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
'Sport Mode' is to keep the engine at an RPM where the turbo is spooling (for racing). It is shifting to keep the minimum RPMs above 3K.

'Normal Mode" is for economy. It will let the engine lug at less than 1200 RPM [rolls eyes].

Either mode is too extreme for DD (for me). This is why I use Sport/manual. I keep the RPMs at or above 2K.
Great info! I am gonna try that. Itīs just that I really like driving automatic, so I dont know if I can stop.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhiteRalliart
Great info! I am gonna try that. Itīs just that I really like driving automatic, so I dont know if I can stop.
Drive the way you want. It's true though that the car in sport/automatic mode revs a lot higher(I do this on occasion I enjoy the engine reving down/up). I don't like driving in sport mode/auto except in small doses.Most time I drive in normal/auto or feeling aggressive sport/manual or normal/manual.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dc5boosted
I was talking to Moore Automotive yesterday, and they said that with the sst. It is safer to use sport mode/manual, to help stop all the ware from the clutch slippage. Normal mode slips way to much. The smoother the shifts the more slip.
I have been wondering about this, but haven't seen any hardcore proof of it. I am going to keep searching over time to see what I can find out.
Old May 6, 2015, 03:13 PM

Sport/manual is where it's at , it's just nice to have more control over when *I* want to shift
Old May 8, 2015, 12:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I find both Normal and Sport "auto" modes really awkward. I almost never use "auto".

In Sport mode, having every upshift from 2->3 onward occur at 4000rpm is just annoying if I'm not in performance driving circumstances. If I *am* in those circumstances, I'll be shifting myself.

In Normal mode, it lugs the engine at low rpm, and I find myself constantly wishing it was two gears lower. Again, easily rectified by not using "auto" mode in the first place.

Having said that, Normal Auto is perfectly good for someone else to hop in the car and use. It's a good, no-brainer, off-to-the-shops style of transmission control! lol

Rich
Old May 10, 2015, 11:04 AM

Sounds normal.

I drive in sport / manual everywhere and haven't had problems ever

Quick Reply: Trouble with Sport Mode