Notices

How to raise the Stock Recaro seat.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2009, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to raise the Stock Recaro seat.

Someone else had a nice write up on this topic, but I can't seem to find it anymore since it was not placed in the How-to section of the forum.

I am 6' tall and still find the Recaro seat pad angle to be too steep downward. I felt like I was always having to lean forward just to get a decent view while driving. So I followed one posters recommendation of adding steel spacers on the rear bolts of the drivers seat to increase the height. Increasing the height also provided better thigh support.

Step 1: Remove the plastic bolt covers from the seat rails.

Step 2: Remove the two existing rear bolts from the seat rail. The bolt is a 10mm with 1.25 course thread. Go to ACE Hardware and buy the same size bolt but with a length increase of 1". Also buy two 10mm lock washers, four 10mm butterfly washers, and two 1" steel spacers. I purchased the grade 8 bolts which offer a high tensile strength.

Step 3: Take the new bolt and insert a lock washer, butterfly washer in said order and insert it into the seat rail hole. Then insert a second butterfly washer into the bolt and then insert the 1" steel spacer. Now place the bolt in the threaded hole and tighten it down just a little and proceed to insert the second rear bolt.
I had to loosen the two front bolts in order to allow me to straiten the rear bolts so
that I could insert them in the threaded holes properly.

Step 4: Attach the plastic bolt covers.
Total cost of the project was around $3.00 and the seating position is just right for me now.

Name:  how-raise-drivers-seat-bolt1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  how-raise-drivers-seat-bolt2.jpg
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  how-raise-drivers-seat-bolt3.jpg
Size:  51.1 KB
Attached Thumbnails How to raise the Stock Recaro seat.-how-raise-drivers-seat-bolt1.jpg   How to raise the Stock Recaro seat.-how-raise-drivers-seat-bolt2.jpg   How to raise the Stock Recaro seat.-how-raise-drivers-seat-bolt3.jpg  

Last edited by Nismo2k6; Jun 14, 2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks a bunch! Im going to have to do this to mine.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Good to know the seat can be easily raised. I've been considering the Ralliart but was having doubts about the Recaro package due to the lack of height adjustment.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 06:48 AM

bump
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

hella yah thanks a lot man!
ill b doin that!!!
Old Jun 22, 2009, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Option
Good to know the seat can be easily raised. I've been considering the Ralliart but was having doubts about the Recaro package due to the lack of height adjustment.
+1 This is a big reason why i didn't get the Recaros. Damn i wish i knew this b4 . Nice write up
Old Jun 23, 2009, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Just make sure you guys go get grade 8 bolts and washer and lock tight it all down... i raised my buddy's Recaros with a solid piece of aluminum i drilled the holes and got new bolts and bolted them down.. i feel its more safe when the seat is not flowing on just 4 small raiser.. since is sitting on top of a solid piece of aluminum...

oh yeah i raised it 25mm so about 1 inch

evil
Old Jun 24, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Does it look stock with the bolt covers?
Old Jul 1, 2009, 08:02 AM

Yes, once you put back the bolt covers, it looks stock. If you are sitting in the rear seat looking down you won't be able to tell that any modification was made.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

thats funny... on the Evo VIII and IX people complain about not being able to lower the seat and its tall position
Old Jul 14, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nismo2k6
Someone else had a nice write up on this topic, but I can't seem to find it anymore since it was not placed in the How-to section of the forum.

I am 6' tall and still find the Recaro seat pad angle to be too steep downward. I felt like I was always having to lean forward just to get a decent view while driving. So I followed one posters recommendation of adding steel spacers on the rear bolts of the drivers seat to increase the height. Increasing the height also provided better thigh support.

Step 1: Remove the plastic bolt covers from the seat rails.

Step 2: Remove the two existing rear bolts from the seat rail. The bolt is a 10mm with 1.25 course thread. Go to ACE Hardware and buy the same size bolt but with a length increase of 1". Also buy two 10mm lock washers, four 10mm butterfly washers, and two 1" steel spacers. I purchased the grade 8 bolts which offer a high tensile strength.

Step 3: Take the new bolt and insert a lock washer, butterfly washer in said order and insert it into the seat rail hole. Then insert a second butterfly washer into the bolt and then insert the 1" steel spacer. Now place the bolt in the threaded hole and tighten it down just a little and proceed to insert the second rear bolt.
I had to loosen the two front bolts in order to allow me to straiten the rear bolts so
that I could insert them in the threaded holes properly.

Step 4: Attach the plastic bolt covers.
Total cost of the project was around $3.00 and the seating position is just right for me now.

you said The bolt is a 10mm with 1.25 course thread .. but how big is it? lengh wise...
wat would be the exact size to increse it .. please let me know..
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Anybody check the shear stress of the bolts? I'd hate for you to be in an accident and end up in the front windshield?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
Anybody check the shear stress of the bolts? I'd hate for you to be in an accident and end up in the front windshield?
I would like to raise my seat too, but this is what i really concern.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lockon
I would like to raise my seat too, but this is what i really concern.
If you thread the spacers and weld them to the body, you should be fine.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293

it already has happen to one of my buddies... lost control on the track and spun out in to dirt and all four broke the seat was completely loose and bend a tab aswell....

we welded the riser block to the car and soo far soo goo

Quick Reply: How to raise the Stock Recaro seat.