Notices

How To: Install Replacement Mirror Glass

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How To: Install Replacement Mirror Glass

Alright fellas (and lasses), a quick how-to for replacing the side mirror glass. I personally went with the Rexpeed "objects in mirror are losing" polarized glass and this will show how to replace the entire glass piece, not just 3m the new one on top of the old one.

So, the first thing you'll need to do is remove the old glass. So take a small flat-bladed screwdriver and pry the bottom of the mirror glass and retaining piece outward. DO NOT try to completely remove it this way as you will be applying too much pressure on a very small area and may end up breaking the plastic holder along with the glass:
How To: Install Replacement Mirror Glass-snc00206.jpg

Once that is out, you should be able to slip your fingers underneath the glass/retaining piece and pull outward on it. This will take a bit of pressure, but you should be able to "pop" this piece off of the electric mirror adjuster with slight to moderate outward pressure since it is only held in by some plastic snap-in clips:
How To: Install Replacement Mirror Glass-snc00207.jpg

Once it is out, it should look like this. You'll want to use a heat gun, or even a hair-dryer, to warm the glass so the adhesive behind it loosens up. Be careful heating the rear surface as you dont want the plastic to melt, so focus mainly on the glass area, but beware that it will get VERY hot:
How To: Install Replacement Mirror Glass-snc00208.jpg

Once you have spend a good minute or so heating the entire piece, you are now ready to separate the glass from the plastic retaining piece. It is only held in by very small ridges on the edges of the plastic retaining piece and mostly by an adhesive on the back of the glass sticking it to the holder, so you'll want to turn your warm/hot piece upside down and push outward from the rear with a screwdriver or some other tool so as not to burn your hands. Be very careful here if you are trying to preserve your original mirrors for something, otherwise just go to town since they will either push away or break fairly easily and just make sure you separate all of the pieces form the holder:
How To: Install Replacement Mirror Glass-snc00209.jpg

I was able to get one of the pieces out in-tact, but this is likely the front view of what you will end up with if you are not SUPER careful:
How To: Install Replacement Mirror Glass-snc00210.jpg

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Nov 13, 2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

From this point you'll just want to line up the new glass with the black plastic retaining piece, maybe slightly warm the adhesive on the back of the new glass with your heat gun or hair dryer to give it some extra tackiness, and press it into the holder making sure all edges tuck into the original glass surround piece. Once you are satisfied with the placement and complete installation of the glass into the holder, simply line it up with the electric mirror directional adjuster in the side mirror housing and apply slight to moderate pressure near the center of the glass until it snaps into place, just be very careful not to press too hard and crack your new mirrors. Be gentle and feel it out and you'll be just fine.

finished product:
How To: Install Replacement Mirror Glass-snc00213.jpg

How To: Install Replacement Mirror Glass-snc00214.jpg

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Nov 13, 2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn dude.....that's 7 years bad luck
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Lol, just tack it on to the end of the rest of my bad-luck sentence I suppose.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not using such a small point (screwdriver) to apply pressure would probably help to reduce the chances of the glass breaking.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

^absolutely. i was just too lazy to walk the 10 feet back into the garage to get something else...lol. call me minimalistic.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
^absolutely. i was just too lazy to walk the 10 feet back into the garage to get something else...lol. call me minimalistic.
Flip the screwdriver around

Doesnt really matter if your not worried about putting stockers back though.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DaJackson
Flip the screwdriver around
if you look in the 1st pic, at the bottom of that particular screwdriver is a small diameter magnet which likely would have had similar results as the screwdriver head. like i said, i was just in a hurry and grabbed the first thing i saw and didnt feel like going back for anything else.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Breaking a sideview mirror is nothing...I broke a 5ft wall mirror last month on accident, .

Great writeup though, I had no idea the mirror could just pop out like that haha.