Notices

Reverse the automatic shifter?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse the automatic shifter?

I haven't had a chance to take apart the shifter to look yet. Is there an easy way to reverse the direction of the shifts on an automatic? On my other car I put the shifter up to shift up and down to shift down, obv on the RA it's up to go down and down to go up. Simple fix?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most MT cars have First gear as the top left, shifting into second you need to move the shifter down into second, so the RA is mimicking what people are use to driving in a manual car.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 01:03 PM

I get that and it makes sense, but in actual application it's a bit confusing (doesn't help the other car is opposite). Any ideas on changing it? I'll crack it open this weekend to take a look.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll get used to it.... u could always just use the paddles
Old Mar 8, 2013, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

there is definitly no way to change this. i just had to replace my shifter because the inside exploded somehow i couldnt get it into any gear....

just get used to it man. i think about it that if i am being pulled back in the seat its allot easier to pull it back
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:40 AM

I used the paddles, little challenging when cornering. No way to change the shifter, then I'll stick with the paddles. Not as though shifting matters all that much in this car, considering downshifting doesn't slow it down much. This car just wants me to mash the gas
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gimpydingo
I used the paddles, little challenging when cornering. No way to change the shifter, then I'll stick with the paddles. Not as though shifting matters all that much in this car, considering downshifting doesn't slow it down much. This car just wants me to mash the gas
I have seen the paddle shifter extenders for sale on this forum before for the X MR. The are made out of Carbon Fiber and go over the stock paddles to give you greater range shifting when turning.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:45 PM

Why do new (used) cars cost so much? New tires, need new rims, intercooler upgrade, paddle shifter extender. Of course those are all a must. But really, thanks for the info, I'll check them out.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

A BMW salesman explained this to me, the reason that the new 3 series have downshift in the up position is because in rally racing, when you downshift it usually means you are braking and the g-force from braking moves you forward which makes sense to set the leaver forward, vice versa for upshifting. Embrace the rally heritage and leave it stock
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

I prefer to think of it this way, in aircraft you push forward to go down and pull back to go up. This is completely in line with Mitsubishi's aeronautical roots (they made the Zero in case you aren't that familiar with aeronautical history). The logic behind selecting forward for down and back for up has it's roots in the natural motions that the human body makes when it looks down and looks up. When you look down, you lean forward. When you look up, you lean back.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:27 AM

I get why they do it. Yes, knew about them being plane manuf; killing innocent Americans

I was just hoping for a simple solution. Bigger paddles it is.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

the simplest solution is "get use to it" ... it's also the cheapest
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

The first week i had the RA from my lancer it annoyed me. Once my car made some decent power it became quite clear why it is the way it is. If you in a 500+whp mr/ra you'll understand why pushing forward to upshift would be difficult at WOT. lol
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:39 PM

About the only time I use the fancy paddles is when my right hand is busy and I need to down shift for some reason. Sure they looked cool when I first got the car, but now that I have got use to the car. There are several design flaws in the whole nitendo style paddles/tiny window in the steering wheel/tach. I normally just drive it in D or slide the slap shifter to manual and drive it like I stole it. Like someone mentioned earlier there isn't a lot of braking from down shifting like a true manual so it really takes a lot of incentive away to drive it like a manual.