Notices
09+ Ralliart Show and Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

plasti-dip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2010, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pogiboiuno
I just bought some plasti dip today from home depot. pretty cheap. I'm planning on spraying my stock rims with them. Just thought I'd do something different on my car. this will only be permanent though until i get some actual rims. lol
Take pictures of the finished product, I really want to see how that looks!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

i'm curious about this plastidip..
does it make the texture like plastic or a bit rubbery?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Slightly rubbery. More like a fine textured plastic though. From afar (~10ft) it looks exactly like the black plastic center of the bumper.

It's a ***** and a half to take off too. Just re-dipped my chrome ring this past weekend.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DetroitRA
It's a ***** and a half to take off too. Just re-dipped my chrome ring this past weekend.
Did you just rip it off?

I bet it would come off really easy in the car wash. The first time I washed my car after plasti-dipping my trim, I was in a self-serve stall that had a pressure sprayer with warm water. I think the heat helped soften it up, and the pressure grabbed at the edges and accidentally lifted up a couple inches of my window trim. I was able to press back down and it was fine when it dried.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

I vinyl decal mine, it was a bit shinier than that black plastic, but everything is fine, washed it in touchless, and with the wand/brush, no peeling nothing.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:42 PM
tre
Evolving Member

while on the subject of the nose ring.
does anyone know if its possible to use some of the evo X grill parts so that we could get those crossbeam vents? would be benificial for those running the evo X or larger fmic's.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by velocityhead
Did you just rip it off?

I bet it would come off really easy in the car wash. The first time I washed my car after plasti-dipping my trim, I was in a self-serve stall that had a pressure sprayer with warm water. I think the heat helped soften it up, and the pressure grabbed at the edges and accidentally lifted up a couple inches of my window trim. I was able to press back down and it was fine when it dried.
Yeah I just ripped it off. But mine came off in about 234872359875987235 pieces. It was extremely brittle and wasn't peeling off smoothly at all. . I had gone through multiple, multiple automatic car washes and haven't had any problems with it peeling. I'm sure the cold didn't help it being so brittle either.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

^lol your fingers should be numb by now
Old Jan 22, 2010, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Andfre
Take pictures of the finished product, I really want to see how that looks!
I have't plasti dipped my rims yet but i will as soon as the rain goes away. I tried my friends rims the other time though. here's how it looks. from this close. I didnt take any far away ones though.I must say, in person, it looks way better than seeing silver. haha
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
nice
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how many coats do you recommend to apply? 2-3 maybe?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also are there any roughness that may need to be wetsanded or anything, i'm actually doing this for my cousins ralliart, but want to get some more information before i do anything.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I did mine, I just cleaned the surface really good to remove all the dirt and oil. Then I sprayed at least 4 coats, following the directions on the can.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:08 PM

I'm up in wisconsin.. literally just finished my chrome ring 30 minutes ago.. so i'm just letting it dry overnight and putting it back on the the morning.

The stuff goes on easy.. didn't have to sand or anything.. just cleaned it with some dawn and warm water and dried it off with a microfiber towel.. and gave it 3 coats, each sprayed about 20 minutes apart.. turned out great and looks a lot like matte black, super sexy.

If anyone plans on blacking out the front end, I highly recommend using this stuff!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 08:04 PM

i was wondering..... since plasti dip can be an "overcoat" kinda, can we plasti dip on some rear spats on our side skirts? LOL i know it sounds crazy but wouldn't it be kinda like buying those CF side spats, least expensive and it still protects since it has a rubbbery texture to it.

Quick Reply: plasti-dip