Notices

Federal SS595. Good or bad?

Old Jan 2, 2006, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Federal SS595. Good or bad?

Hey everyone.

I have 17 inch Federal SS595 tires on my car. So far, they've been great. The only thing I noticed is that my steering wheel vibrates quite a bit sometimes on the freeway. I'm not sure what this is from, but when I test drove the stock Ralliart at the dealership, it had the same problem.

Anyway, the main reason for this post is because I've never heard of Federal. The tires came with the car, so I didn't buy them or anything. The SS595 is supposed to be a high performance tire, at least that's what I gathered from the minimal research I've done. Anyway, any information on this would be awesome. Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like your wheels weren't balanced properly. You should get that checked out, man.

If I had to guess, I would say you're the first RA owner with Federals! Haven't heard of anyone else here with them. How do they perform?
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

the reason for the vibration is because we are forced to use "stick on" weights due to our lipless rims. they are ****y and do not balance as well as the regular weights. half the time they arent put in the right place. they also tend to fall off. hopefully with your new tires you got free balance and rotate. i work at sears auto and know all too well about stick on weights.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralli04Art
the reason for the vibration is because we are forced to use "stick on" weights due to our lipless rims. they are ****y and do not balance as well as the regular weights.
I prefer the stick on weights over the regular kind, because if you have a lip on your rim, the regular kind of weight will chew up the finish. Nothing wrong with stick on weights if the guy doing the balancing knows what he's doing.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

The weights.... that's probably why my car rides so ****ty right now. I have free lifetime align/balance....need to go get those redone.

I run Fuzion ZR-i from Firestone. I love em, really grippy...lovely chirps and incredible...INCREDIBLE wet handling. And they still respond well when you wanna break lose to slide a little bit
Old Jan 3, 2006, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Deltarider99
If I had to guess, I would say you're the first RA owner with Federals! Haven't heard of anyone else here with them. How do they perform?
The tires perform pretty well. I only have trouble with them in the snow, because they are not all-season tires. I already slid into a curb about three weeks ago, trying to avoid a dumba$$ who turned into a parking lot like a maniac, and almost hit me. On dry pavement, they're excellent. I also have aftermarket rims on the car, so I'm not sure about the sticky weights/lipless rims, etc. I'll post some pics of the rims and tires as soon as I can. I don't know if that will help, but what the heck.

Last edited by ggarenn; Jan 3, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ralliart2k4
I run Fuzion ZR-i from Firestone. I love em, really grippy...lovely chirps and incredible...INCREDIBLE wet handling. And they still respond well when you wanna break lose to slide a little bit
thats what ill prolly get when i burn throught these potenzas. i had the zri's on my last car and could really tell a big difference. How much did they run you for all 4?????
Old Jan 4, 2006, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

I'd have to look at the slip for a breakdown of the price...I ended up spending 6 or 7 something though because I got the lifetime align. i think I paid 99.99 per tire + all the stupid side charges.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds like your wheels weren't balanced properly. You should get that checked out, man.

again i have to say i beat this guy to the punch. federal supersteels were the first tire i tried on my car back in jan of 04. pretty decent, but not as good as my current toyos. the toyo t1s that i currently have are by far the best tires i have had as far as dry tarmac traction that arn't r compound.

Last edited by mitsutech005; Jan 11, 2006 at 12:12 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had federals for a while now... approximately for um.. 7-8 months. I like them, but i've gotten a couple bad tires that had sidewall leaks which was weird. maybe a bad batch or something, but i love them. I have 225/45/17's in front and falken 225/45/17 in back so they don't rub. Also had my quarter panels rolled and my fenders rolled too
Old Jan 16, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ggarenn
Hey everyone.

I have 17 inch Federal SS595 tires on my car. So far, they've been great. The only thing I noticed is that my steering wheel vibrates quite a bit sometimes on the freeway. I'm not sure what this is from, but when I test drove the stock Ralliart at the dealership, it had the same problem.

Anyway, the main reason for this post is because I've never heard of Federal. The tires came with the car, so I didn't buy them or anything. The SS595 is supposed to be a high performance tire, at least that's what I gathered from the minimal research I've done. Anyway, any information on this would be awesome. Thanks everyone.
I had a friend of mine give me a half worn out set of these tires back in august. He abused them on his mustang before the car was stolen.

My biggest complaint with the tires is the road noise. I get a low end grumble that is easily confused with the center diff going out.

Other than that, these tires are awesome. They can handles a rain flooded road better than the advans, I don't feel any hydroplaning until I hit standing water around 65mph (keep in mind I am almost to the wear indicators)

The cornering is nice and surprizingly good considering the treadwear is set to something like 240

They don't handle mud that well, but considering that it's a dry weather performance tire, you can't really complain.

I have seen them for as little as $85 / tire for a 245/40/17 which is the size I am running now.

Great tires for the street.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

I had them on my previous car, 2004 RX-8. SS595 235-40-R18. They were a very good tire, the rx8 was rear wheel drive, I smoked those tires so many times at the drag strip. They held up very well. They also ran great in the rain. They were not the most grippy tire on dry pavement but they performed extremely well for the price.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:34 PM

Well, I have tires for life from the dealership, so I guess I'll be stuck with the Federals for quite a while. Hopefully they'll hold up. I like them so far. Thanks for all your comments.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

sorry to bring back from the dead, but i just stumbled across this somehow. I have been running federal ss595's since i first replaced my tires.

I liked them so much that when I bought both my new sets of rims i put these exact tires on them. I love them. they are a little bit noisier than say a traditional radial, but performance is great. never lost traction in the wet unless I really was trying to. and even then it was hard.

and the look of them is pretty aggressive too. I like it.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

I had a set of these on my last set of rims, couldn't complain about them. I autoX'd with them a few times as well, they did alright. Ran them for about 2 and half years, had suspensions problems and wore their shoulders out (to no fault of their own).

I also stepped up my front two with the RS-R (semi-slick r-compound) version of the 595 and those gripped HARD haha my friend was joking I was going to snap my axles...