Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

shift linkage bushings?

Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shift linkage bushings?

Are there replaceable bushings in the shifter linkage? When I pop my shifter into neutral it kind of sticks, won't go back to center. Wondering if its the cable or possibly bad bushings.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dambay
Are there replaceable bushings in the shifter linkage? When I pop my shifter into neutral it kind of sticks, won't go back to center. Wondering if its the cable or possibly bad bushings.
If I can recall correctly, I think CRANSWICK had the same problem. I'm not sure how he fixed it but I think it had something to do with the spring/coil "thing" right under your shifter. I think we covered this here on EvoM somewhere...
Old Jul 9, 2013, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are replaceable bushing. The brass ones from speedsource for the Evo 8/9 fit perfect and are around $25.

Your problem does not sound like it is bushing related. I think Cranswick had the same problem. I believe the spring by your shifter base is likely binding.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slc-ralliart
There are replaceable bushing. The brass ones from speedsource for the Evo 8/9 fit perfect and are around $25.

Your problem does not sound like it is bushing related. I think Cranswick had the same problem. I believe the spring by your shifter base is likely binding.
+1

LOL i think we were both writing our replies at the same time b/c i swear we basically said the same thing lmfao!

"Great minds think alike"
Old Jul 9, 2013, 03:26 PM

Thanks I will check it out
Old Jul 9, 2013, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
it's not the spring, it's the hinge on the selector...
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
JUst dry? Worn out? Would I have to replace the assy.?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the brass bushing upgrades and had the issue of the shifter not going back to neutral. What I do is every couple of months I spray lithium grease on the bushings under the hood. Just a small amont goes a long way. I believe the reason they bind up is because dirt and grim gets in them. Never had that issue again, after lubing them up.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
yea that hinge also try what mikemike suggested
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

chances are it's not the cable end bushings, but that hinge, you'll see on the control housing select levers the "side to side" lever there's a sort of conical plastic cap, pop that off, and there's a nut and a lock washer, pull that off, and it's probably seized in there, take the hinge apart, you may need a small hammer, try not to bend the lever, there's a split plastic bushing...clean it up, grease it, and reassemble...
Old Jul 10, 2013, 12:41 PM

Awesome. I'm gonna dig into it shortly. Its driving me crazy. can't make those quick 2-3 shifts nicely. Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

you should still also get the metal bushings, shifter base and cable ends...if you want to shift quick fix your return to center get solid bushings and then fill your tranny with redline MTL...
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:14 PM

Indeed it was the 'side to side' shift lever. Previous owner must have replaced the bushing and installed it with a lock washer and regular nut. It was clamping down too much on the bushing. Replaced them with a lock nut, left a bit of 'play' and everything is nice and loose. Thanks Cranswick.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:16 PM

Think ill definitely consider the solid.bushings all round as well.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Indeed it was the 'side to side' shift lever. Previous owner must have replaced the bushing and installed it with a lock washer and regular nut. It was clamping down too much on the bushing. Replaced them with a lock nut, left a bit of 'play' and everything is nice and loose. Thanks Cranswick.
believe it or not, the plain nut and lock washer are factory...don't leave too much play or it will wear the bushings weird, and could bind...make sure to get some good quality grease in there...always happy to help

for the bushings, some one already mentioned AMS and speed source...there are a few others, but i'll recommend these, because they are local (Niagara Falls), and shipping is fast... Ziggy is a machinist and makes these in house, also his shift knobs are second to none. I advertise for him, because he's interested in supporting our platform...he stocks stage 1 clutches for our cars, and is looking into other products to carry.

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...cat=640&page=1

https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/prod...cat=640&page=1

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jul 11, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: shift linkage bushings?