Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manual Boost Controller vs. Electronic Boost Controller

Old Dec 24, 2006, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Boost Controller vs. Electronic Boost Controller

In need of some help in this area guys. I'm sure this was covered in a different thread i can't seem to find it, this damn internet is so slow over here (iraq). I'm new to the tuning enviroment and need of some guidance. Need to know what is better to use in an 03 evo 8. an MBC or an EBC. id like to have it set up to have two different settings, one for normal day driving to save gas, then one for the weekend fun. will i need to get a flash done too? will that help or is it needed? im in the process of upgrading the norms, intercooler, pipes, exhaust, intake etc.. etc. but back to the question. which is the better bet to use. i don't know that much about BC so if i could get some guidance it would be greatly appreciated. thanks much.

Last edited by Mongo; Dec 24, 2006 at 03:00 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

search is your best friend.

IMO...>>> mbc
Old Dec 24, 2006, 03:26 AM
Evolving Member

i second that.. and a tune/flash is a MUST... IMO
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:18 AM

any suggestions on an MBC?
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Forge UNOS is generally accepted as one of the best MBC for Evo.

Also heard good things about Hallman
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mongo
In need of some help in this area guys. I'm sure this was covered in a different thread i can't seem to find it, this damn internet is so slow over here (iraq). I'm new to the tuning enviroment and need of some guidance. Need to know what is better to use in an 03 evo 8. an MBC or an EBC. id like to have it set up to have two different settings, one for normal day driving to save gas, then one for the weekend fun. will i need to get a flash done too? will that help or is it needed? im in the process of upgrading the norms, intercooler, pipes, exhaust, intake etc.. etc. but back to the question. which is the better bet to use. i don't know that much about BC so if i could get some guidance it would be greatly appreciated. thanks much.
FYI -- You know that you could get a really good tune and also get decent gas mileage by staying out of the boost....

If you are just talking about having two maps, one designed for 18 psi and the other for 22 psi, you will not really see a significant difference in MPG.....

So back to your question -- the stock ecu/bcs can control boost better than an MBC (with someone that knows the ECU); an EBC is great if you plan on high boost scenarios (gear dependent boost is awesome); an MBC is cheap and easy, as well as fairly effective....

My recommendation would be -- (1) stock ecu/bcs, (2) AVC-R EBC, (3) MBC
Old Dec 24, 2006, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ShamelessCookie
The Forge UNOS is generally accepted as one of the best MBC for Evo.

Also heard good things about Hallman
LOL...You just started asking about MBCs ....I had better results with my Hallman than Forge and even better results with my ECU / BCS controlling boost.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 06:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just to throw this in and save you some money there is know reason to buy a aftermarket intake...maybe a better drop in filter but, if you flash your car just leave your intake stock. Aftermarket will hinder performance. thats my .02
Old Dec 24, 2006, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

any suggestions on an MBC?

i have the Forge UNOS MBC, and love it..
Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

"Mynes tuned.. is yours?" catchy!
Old Dec 24, 2006, 10:39 AM

Ecu/bcs?
Old Dec 24, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
"Mynes tuned.. is yours?" catchy!
hehe.. i agree..
Old Dec 26, 2006, 08:10 AM

what is the main difference between a MBC and a EBC? i mean will a MBC do what I need it to do. again not very familiar on how they work so could you explain it to me please. wow i felt like a newb saying that, lol. thanks for your help again.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, a MBC should do what you need it to do, control boost levels. Main drawback compared to a EBC is you have to pop the hood to adjust boost. Usually you just set it, and forget it. Until drastic weather changes happen, then adjust a little. I never understand why people want a "save gas" boost setting. Just don't go driving around at WOT all the time when you want to save gas. Get a Forge or Hallman. Both will work good with your Evo.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well, I have had the FORGE MBC, the APEX AVCR, and have had boost controlled through the ECU on my wrx.I have theFORge MBC on my evo now but I loved the AVCR. the great advantage to EBC is that its going to control the boost better, since it is constatnly able to adjust duty cycle of the solenoid. Rather then ball and spring MBC. MBC is cheap and effective. but as mentioned above, weather effects boost, and then you have to open the hood, make an adjustment. THE AVCR in particular has all the bells and whistles of gear based boost, rpm based boost, scamble boost which basically allows it to spike and hold for a set period of time. It can monitor a whole bunch of parameters too. Its more expensive by at least 2.5 times then a MBC but it rocks. The only reason I went with the FORGE is because there are way more serious cars then mine kicking a** with a good MBC. If you do get an EBC. its a good idea to get one of those harness adapters so you dont have to cut into your wiring harness when installing it

Last edited by Jersey Dino; Dec 26, 2006 at 10:28 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual Boost Controller vs. Electronic Boost Controller