Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Tomei il thermostat eliminator or twin oil cooler setup?

Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tomei il thermostat eliminator or twin oil cooler setup?

I've since learnt that the Evo 8 runs a less efficient oil cooler compared to the Evo IX and since I track the car fairly often in 40degC ambient temps, I was wondering which would be a more useful mod

-- the Tomei Oil Thermostat Eliminator (http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...8&cat=0&page=1) or

-- running a twin oil cooler setup in the same was as the HKS twin cooler setup.

Any thoughts on this? My oil (Castrol EDGE Sport 10W60) temps run into 110degC to 115degC on track, and I would like to run it cooler for better reliability
Old Mar 14, 2007, 08:18 AM
JTB
Evolved Member

Your temps don't look too bad. 115 is actually a target range for me. I find my temps climb rapidly past 125C on hot days . I too am looking for an upgrade. Presently I am thinking of putting in a Setrab oil cooler and possibly an oil/water heat exchanger to take greater advantage of my larger radiator.

I am really not sure what the Tomei Oil Thermostat Eliminator actually does. Unless the stock thermostat is a restricton it is a waste of money and if anything a nuissance as it takes longer to get your oil up to temp.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

My target range on track is to keep it below 90 after 5 hot laps. The HKS twin cooler setup is known to be able to accomplish this, and for me, it's deciding between the twin cooler and the oil thermostat.

Obviously, the thermostat will not add as much weight to the front end before the axle as much as the extra oil cooler and the braided oil lines
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Yup same thing happened with me..My oil temp.went to 115 but ppl here told me its ok...
Though i am not satisfied and i am buying HKS oil cooler...
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

115 is okay for track or for daily driving?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTB
I am really not sure what the Tomei Oil Thermostat Eliminator actually does. Unless the stock thermostat is a restricton it is a waste of money and if anything a nuissance as it takes longer to get your oil up to temp.
"One of the few weaknesses 4G63 is its rising oil temperature. The Evo uses a thermo switch that circulates the oil to the cooler when the temperature gets around 85C. When the oil temp is low, it will restrict oil flow to the oil cooler and raise the temperature of oil consequently. TOMEI oil thermo killer allows the oil to flow into the oil cooler constantly regardless of its temperature. Still, it is easy to put it back to stock thermo switch in winter to prevent over-cool. This item is especially useful if your Evo ever sees any track use."
Old Mar 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

Yes, I read the description. My question was rhetorical. All it will do is increase the time for the oil to get to operating temperature. It has no effect after the oil hits 85 which is what you are looking for and hence adds nothing. I guess if you want to watch your oil temp climb more slowly when warming up the car then this is the product for you. Otherwise it is a waste of time and money

The HKS twin cooler, however, is of interest. Any pictures or links to it?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would avoid anything that slows oil from reaching operating temp. Until oil warms up the add package does not work and the oil isn't working as designed.
two big negatives.
conversely keeping the oil from overheating is critical too. most 40,50+ grades have an hths high enough to be happy at 230F easy.
anything over a hths 3.5 is getting good.

I'm sure there are better qualified oil sperts to refine what I have said, but it should keep you out of trouble.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Where do you have your oil temp sensor located ??

You only see 110c-115c on track is extremely good !!!!!
Geez I've never seen below 120 before on track ..

Anyway .. your cooler should be a 13 row .. same as the IX .. only the 7 is a 11row oil cooler .. which is probably worst off than you
Old Mar 14, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
where is this twin oil cooler setup?
Old Mar 14, 2007, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are over $1000

Last edited by talentsearch301; Mar 14, 2007 at 09:31 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a thread(a couple of years old), although it may very well be on SOCALEVO.net, which includes install pics of Robi's(robispec) installation of a huge(way big!), Setrab oil cooler, which is considerably less expensive, than the HKS setup(if cost is an issue), and should cool your motor oil every bit as well, if not better. Robi's setup is proven to work on SoCal's uber-hot race tracks in the summer. You might wanna seach for it.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 15, 2007 at 05:41 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

You could try a Laminova heat exchanger, expensive but they are proven to work in wrc!

I've got the one on the pictures but haven't installed it yet.

Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In what ways are is the IX system more efficient, ventilation or more?

I think Moble 1 extended range might have different thermal conductive properties than ordinary M1, so you might want to look into the oil itself too
Old Mar 15, 2007, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

I've got IX. Also I complain about oil temp. Especially hot summer days!!! Is the IX and EVO8 oil cooler system is different ? if I want to upgrade my oil cooler system,which is the best..?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tomei il thermostat eliminator or twin oil cooler setup?